Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter Gabriel - UP - SACD. Finally! I've been searching for this one for a long time.
b774eca2b7cafb88b9788b72f1678bfe.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Absolutely love the 5.1 mix of that album - I always skip the song 'The Barry Williams Show' because it seems too poppy and upbeat, but the rest is remarkable. The Blind Boys Of Alabama's vocals on 'Sky Blue' are absolute hairs on the back of the neck standing up kind of stuff.

I've never heard of this one. I'll have to hunt it down.

There is one thing I don't like about it...they talk in between songs...instead of putting this in the "extras" they included it with the music...I guess they did it to make it seem longer than it actually is...so when you listen to it the first time...hit the chapter button and skip to the next song after each tune...

There is one thing I don't like about it...they talk in between songs...instead of putting this in the "extras" they included it with the music...I guess they did it to make it seem longer than it actually is...so when you listen to it the first time...hit the chapter button and skip to the next song after each tune...

I love the VH1 "Storytellers" series, so this will probably be a non-issue for me.

I love the VH1 "Storytellers" series, so this will probably be a non-issue for me.

I have the Rod Stewart. VH1 and it's kinda okay I guess, but the Natalie Merchant VH1 knocks it out of the ballbark for surround (and it's only DD).

Question ? Were there many more of those VH1's ? And if so which ones are quality surround ?

FWIW an excellent discrete mix on "small venues" live can be had with Nirvana-Unplugged MTV .and....... Page/Plant-MTV Unledded is no slouch either . :smokin

I have the Rod Stewart. VH1 and it's kinda okay I guess, but the Natalie Merchant VH1 knocks it out of the ballbark for surround (and it's only DD).

Question ? Were there many more of those VH1's ? And if so which ones are quality surround ?

FWIW an excellent discrete mix on "small venues" live can be had with Nirvana-Unplugged MTV .and....... Page/Plant-MTV Unledded is no slouch either . :smokin

I was referring to between song chatter.

Music Is My Life - Billy Preston

vZZlRXY.jpg

RIP Billy.... somehow I turn round and realise Quad is now my life..! :yikes

...and this is possibly the most discrete A&M Quad I've heard so far in my little life.. Quincy Jones' Body Heat is a better & more active mix I think, its really fab but this is not too far behind it, for the most part its great :music

Love this Quad jewel from Chicago.

Chicago-CTA dts dvd Quadradisc first edition .

But this SQ album was one of my "go to demos" when showng off the quad SQ matrix. So Well encoded that even the first gen of decoders did a decent job. My first decode was with a Sony SQA 2030 fwiw. :smokin

20171117_180713.jpg

Yes - Live from Montreaux - BD DTS-HD MA 5.1
I asked Mrs. Baggins if she'd rather hear Iron Maiden, Rush, Yes or Metallica and...

she said Yes!!! :banana:

Noticed that you asked about any other Yes options in the poll thread. 'Songs from Tsongas' is very good. It's the last thing they did as the full old lineup before Jon Anderson was 'let go'. It has a stage setup by Roger Dean that's very cool, has really great sound for a live concert, great song choices, and a surprisingly awesome acoustic set. This one is a much bigger production than the Montreaux concert with better camera work, better sound quality, and much more energy from the band. As this was pretty much the last thing to be released with all of the old greats, and such a fun, exciting, and great sounding show, I highly recommend it. :upthumb

REM Automatic For The People DVD-A.
Not my favorite band but the sound is really impressive so far. For some reason I feel like their bad songs are unlistenable (Radio song) but their good ones are so so good. Of course it's subjective but I can't think of a band with such extremes, for me.
I wish Elliott Scheiner was still mixing.
9edb28c1158ea0f0a2bac7ae4b77f84c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Michael Stipe has such a nice voice. Apologies for my unnecessary negative comment. Now I'm curious about the new mix.

...I feel like their bad songs are unlistenable (Radio song) but their good ones are so so good. Of course it's subjective but I can't think of a band with such extremes...

IMO, Out of Time is the only R.E.M. album that is so uneven. It is my least favorite of the catalog. I think they were embracing the current pop trends, trying to maximize popularity for at least one album, trying to be "hip."
Consequently, elements of it became dated quickly. I think this compares closely to Roll the Bones, by Rush. There are some great tunes on it, like "Dreamline," "Bravado" and "Where's My Thing?," but a rap in the middle of the title track, a lot of arena rock simplicity, cliched lyrics, balladry and stuff like that strewn across other tracks. It is quite possibly my least favorite Rush album. Thankfully Kevin Shirley somehow convinced them to be Rush again on the next record... And R.E.M. began to turn things around with Monster and then knocked one out of the park, for Baggy, with New Adventures.

Surround Music from 68 . An Oldie-Goldie !

The Band-Music From Big Pink. DVDA

-pretty good surround mix on this from Robbie Robertson , btw. Wish Capitol would have continued with the S/T album by The Band, though.

20170922_195044.jpg

Back