Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John Fogerty- Premonition (DD DVD-V)- the surround mix on this is phenomenal!!

ES takes the discreteness even further that the Eagles' Farewell Tour here...rhythm guitar players each get a rear speaker. The set list is good- lots of Creedence hits and Fogerty solo stuff ("Centerfield"). The mixes on the CCR tracks are for the most part better than the CCR Gold quad.

I must collect all other ES-mixed live concerts now. Is he the only one who understands that a live show can be presented as more than stereo with ambient rears?

ES takes the discreteness even further that the Eagles' Farewell Tour here...rhythm guitar players each get a rear speaker. The set list is good- lots of Creedence hits and Fogerty solo stuff ("Centerfield"). The mixes on the CCR tracks are for the most part better than the CCR Gold quad.

I must collect all other ES-mixed live concerts now. Is he the only one who understands that a live show can be presented as more than stereo with ambient rears?

Thank you, just ordered Used-Like New, $17.53.

ES and Steve Wilson are my favorite live concert 5.1 mixing guys. Bruce Soord is getting better with his latest Pineapple Thief live bluray which is very good as well.

My favorite ES live mix is Roy Orbison-Black and White Night which I got the DTS dvd and then got the Dvd Audio version when I saw that as a option and there are Sacd and BR options but be careful the BR mix I don't have but some here say its not ES's mix so unless if someone can correct me would stay away from that one.

peter

ES and Steve Wilson are my favorite live concert 5.1 mixing guys. Bruce Soord is getting better with his latest Pineapple Thief live bluray which is very good as well.

My favorite ES live mix is Roy Orbison-Black and White Night which I got the DTS dvd and then got the Dvd Audio version when I saw that as a option and there are Sacd and BR options but be careful the BR mix I don't have but some here say its not ES's mix so unless if someone can correct me would stay away from that one.

peter

I have the Black & White Night DVD-A- iirc last time I played it didn't really "wow" me. I ought to give it another shot. So much to listen to lately...which is great!

Mike Oldfield - The 1984 Suite (dvd-v), great to have The Lake in 5.1 but this a bit of anticlimax, basically every song off Discovery is better than the middle part content here. The whole Discovery in 5.1 would’ve been sweet!

peter

I'm not sure that's right. I have a BD from 1999 and the mix is bonkers-awesome. It's just 17 songs, 64 minutes. Short and sweet.
I think there is a much more recent BD that has the tame mix. IIRC, it has more material.

Thank you, just ordered Used-Like New, $17.53.

But wait a minute here...you do realize that the surround is the "dreaded Dolby Digital"...it's fine with me... you said the Dolby Digital "wrecks" the sound on the poll thread...and btw you mentioned cost as a factor in your vote...you could have purchased it at amazon UK for $55...that price was talked about on here extensively...so why you decided to pay that much more..I have no idea:)...all kidding aside...Premonition is a good disc...I have it and enjoy it...but you going to find a lot of excellent Dolby Digital Discs out there...despite what you hear on here from some people..

I'm not sure that's right. I have a BD from 1999 and the mix is bonkers-awesome. It's just 17 songs, 64 minutes. Short and sweet.
I think there is a much more recent BD that has the tame mix. IIRC, it has more material.

The original is excellent...but a recent version has a different(not ES)mix and it's not as good...

Elvis Aloha From Hawaii QR conversion... I just love the ethereal lady in the left rear corner with the haunting high voice (reminds me of Star Trek)... really makes this mix for me:banana:

(By the way, Elvis '57 Stereo SACD is friggin' incredible sounding... I know, hard to trust the opinion of someone who likes "Aloha", but seriously the fidelity is a**-kicking great!!!)

Elvis Aloha From Hawaii QR conversion... I just love the ethereal lady in the left rear corner with the haunting high voice (reminds me of Star Trek)... really makes this mix for me:banana:

(By the way, Elvis '57 Stereo SACD is friggin' incredible sounding... I know, hard to trust the opinion of someone who likes "Aloha", but seriously the fidelity is a**-kicking great!!!)

Everybody raves about the Elvis 57...I will getting that one shortly....this one is excellent too...and the song list is killer...if someone likes Elvis..and especially his hit songs...24 Karat would be a great choice..

Everybody raves about the Elvis 57...I will getting that one shortly....this one is excellent too...and the song list is killer...if someone likes Elvis..and especially his hit songs...24 Karat would be a great choice..

24 Karat is a great song selection, for sure... but Elvis '57 is on another level in terms of fidelity... it has incredibly clear vocals that are very clean (very little reverb); you really hear what an incredible voice Elvis had early on. You also hear the backing vocals and instrumentation really well with good stereo separation of the instruments on some songs... and it's also kind of fun hearing the different takes and Elvis talking during the recording sessions. I've heard both SACDs, but the sound quality of '57 has me listening over and over!

Back