Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like their bad songs are unlistenable (Radio song) but their good ones are so so good. Of course it's subjective but I can't think of a band with such extremes, for me.

I used to despise Radio Song too. These days I think it actually works quite well. Shiny Happy People on the other hand… If it weren't for that one clunker, this would be a near perfect album. Country Feedback, Half a World Away, Near Wild Heaven and Losing My Religion are among the best they've done IMO.

Oh Yes.

Gave this a spin last nite (disc 1). Such prog excesses . Can't complain about the mix. It does this lengthy album justice , and I hear more of what I missed prior.

Yes-Tales From Topographic Oceans. DVDA

20171028_195116.jpg20171028_195142.jpg

I used to despise Radio Song too. These days I think it actually works quite well. Shiny Happy People on the other hand… If it weren't for that one clunker, this would be a near perfect album. Country Feedback, Half a World Away, Near Wild Heaven and Losing My Religion are among the best they've done IMO.
I LOVE Texarkana. But what do I know, I like Shiny Happy People?

Pink Floyd - Meddle in 5.1 :banana::banana:

Too bad there isn't a poll for this, 'cause it's an 11! (y)
And shame on Roger Waters for blocking this. It's one of the best surround mixes I've ever heard

I just had the pleasure of spinning Jethro Tull A Passion Play (DTS 96/24) start to finish, seems to get better with each listen. I've moved on to Aqualung (DTS 96/24) and realized that I rarely play it. Once again I almost gave up during the title song due to a lack of low end and to my ears anyway, a mediocre sound quality. Once Cross-Eyed Mary kicks in though all is good. Is it just me? On to Minstrel, fantastic.

Received my 6 D~V remastered Classical QUAD SACDs from the UK today [and thankfully, NO cracked cases] and M. Sasaji & the L.A. Allstar's Afro Blue (SONY Japan 5.1] so am busy listening to these newest acquisitions not to mention a sh*tload of Steelbook BD~Vs [from UK's Zavvi] and UHD 4K discs from Amazon.

I think I have my evening cut out for me.:mad:@:

Received my 6 D~V remastered Classical QUAD SACDs from the UK today [and thankfully, NO cracked cases] and M. Sasaji & the L.A. Allstar's Afro Blue (SONY Japan 5.1] so am busy listening to these newest acquisitions not to mention a sh*tload of Steelbook BD~Vs [from UK's Zavvi] and UHD 4K discs from Amazon.

I think I have my evening cut out for me.:mad:@:

i'd lay money on any of the other discs in your latest haul being a more exciting surround experience than that Afro Blue SACD, Ralph! :D

i'd lay money on any of the other discs in your latest haul being a more exciting surround experience than that Afro Blue SACD, Ralph! :D

I'll let you know, buddy, when I fire it up late tonight on my main system. Only listened to it, so far, in stereo as background music. But I know D~V's Lost Horizon QUAD SACD will be a VERY close second as I'm a sucker for movie music....done right!

Went with a bit of Dan last nite,

fr Steely Dan-Countdown To Ecstacy quad lp QS (converta-shine)

Showbiz Kids kills me :D for it's lyrics by the way, gamblers be fore warned. And Bodhisattva rocks great in quad .I'm liking those dual guitars in that song.

Gonna spin some more Dan tonite for sure. Maybe the live quad on Southland. (it's available btw).

20171117_181437.jpg

Went with a bit of Dan last nite,

fr Steely Dan-Countdown To Ecstacy quad lp QS (converta-shine)

Showbiz Kids kills me :D for it's lyrics by the way, gamblers be fore warned. And Bodhisattva rocks great in quad .I'm liking those dual guitars in that song.

Gonna spin some more Dan tonite for sure. Maybe the live quad on Southland. (it's available btw).

View attachment 31328

And here I thought "Dan" was an abbreviation for Jack Daniels:)

R.E.M. Automatic For The People, 5.1 Dolby HD 48Khz. From the new 25th anniversary box set. My second listen and I still really like it. It was a great CD when I first purchased 25 years ago and still is.

And here I thought "Dan" was an abbreviation for Jack Daniels:)

Na.

Besides I prefers me rum in the tum. :D

and keeping with the thread, I played Relayer DVDA the other day , and oh oh....the DVDA kinda crapped out on the disc.

Hope like hell it's not with the player . Like me she's getting old, but sure is a great player for all things DVDA .

20171109_193357.jpg

Eagles Hotel California 40th Anniversary box set. Blu Ray DTS-HD Master 96Khz. The surround is extremely balanced, meaning not a lot of movement between front and rears, but at same time very discrete. I am also feeling the fade is too much toward the rears. The sonic quality is very nice, kind of soft like.
I will have to listen to my DVD-A for comparison but there is something about this mix that’s bugging me. Maybe I’ll figure it out ? I’m confused with my opinion. Was it worth $89.00 when I already own the other surround version? Probably not.

R.E.M Document. DVD-A 5.1 Advanced Resolution PCM 96Khz. On screen menu with lyrics, pictures, etc.
Really pisses me off when all these new BD's come with NOTHING. The fucked up music company's are losing me as a Blu Ray music listener.

Back