Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wings, Venus and Mars. DTS 5.1 44.1Khz. 61db. I should have listened to this lossy first before the lossless Tarkus. But still better than stereo.

Heck, yeah, Markie. The DTS of Venus and Mars while wildly discrete is still LOSSY and probably can't hold a candle to the LOSSLESS and very excellent TARKUS! BTW, do you have the DTS of Band on the Run? Both Venus and Mars and Band could sure use a LOSSLESS upgrade, IMO.

Mark, trying playing those DTS discs at louder decibels. They're encoded at a very low volume. I usually play mine at 75 db!

Heck, yeah, Markie. The DTS of Venus and Mars while wildly discrete is still LOSSY and probably can't hold a candle to the LOSSLESS and very excellent TARKUS! BTW, do you have the DTS of Band on the Run? Both Venus and Mars and Band could sure use a LOSSLESS upgrade, IMO.

Mark, trying playing those DTS discs at louder decibels. They're encoded at a very low volume. I usually play mine at 75 db!

Ralph, pumped up to 75db, still a little tinny sounding. But I agree, a lot of re mix people can take a lesson from these two Wings releases. Believe it or not my favorite Wings is Wings Over America, livE, I love that two disc RBCD. I have this giant box set with book and stuff but still only two RBCD's.

Somehow, I don't think Mark will have much trouble turning it up. :banana:

Big holler to my hayseed brother Lute, listening now to the Silverline DVD-A lossy DTS 5.1 disc called Inside The Music, ClassicCountry. Barely surround sound but I fucking love it, yee haw, great great music, that is a touch better than stereo.
This disc is really good and actually real good, basic surround when volume is turned up, for me I hit the sweet spot at 70db.

Ok, did brother Lute trick me into this one or was I not paying attention. Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone. I'm trying but this is just listening, no partying. Boring music, but what do I know, I thought it was gonna be cowboy music.

Big holler to my hayseed brother Lute, listening now to the Silverline DVD-A lossy DTS 5.1 disc called Inside The Music, ClassicCountry. Barely surround sound but I fucking love it, yee haw, great great music, that is a touch better than stereo.
This disc is really good and actually real good, basic surround when volume is turned up, for me I hit the sweet spot at 70db.

Glad you love the Classic Country DVD-A and... sorry to hear the Yo-Yo Ma/Morricone disc doesn't do anything for you. Morricone's music is a bit sentimental and the disc contains music from a variety of movies, not only Westerns. It's not everyday listening for me. But, his film scores are considered to be some of the best in the business. And he and Yo-Yo play it with such depth. Oh well, you win some you lose some, I guess. :friday:

Anyway, the Country Classic is an awesome collection of Country hits, isn't it! I know it's not much of a surround spectacular as far as the 5.1 mix is concerned. But, I sure do wish we could get more of that kind of good old country in Quad or 5.1. I'll let you know if I find anymore surround discs that make you want to join in and kick up your heels. :banana:

Somehow, I don't think Mark will have much trouble turning it up. :banana:

As with MOST of the DTS Entertainment discs, they are encoded at a low level. That much maligned DTS disc of Santana Abraxas, while WILDLY discrete. sounds BEST at 80 db on my system with a +5 db BASS boost. At that level.......WHEW! But it still needs a proper SONY Japan SACD remaster........FINGERS CROSSED!

Steely Dan - Gaucho

This is comfort surround for me. My first mind opening experience with true surround that taught me why a great surround mix can be so awesome. When I first heard this album in surround, it was like something really clicked in my life, and I was hit like a hammer with the understanding of what was really happening. It wasn't just some unneeded reverb in the back speakers, it was real, discrete surround. It's what first got me hooked. :smokin

blackv_zpsafcmxjf4.jpg

:smokin

Foo Fighters "In Your Honor" DVD-audio

I liked it the first time, love it after 5 hearings. Stand out track is "Still". When the powerful low bass shows up, it is stunning.

IMG_0090.JPG

roy_zpsjog83lhn.jpg

One of my most loved concert discs, this one I have upgraded to blu ray! The surround mix is just perfect, and the songs, and Roy, and the fidelty, and the band, and... all perfect/awesome!

journey_zpsvu6o3cfi.jpg

I'm in the prossess of ripping all of my concert discs, already done the dvds - moving on to the blu rays. Last rip is Journey - Live in Manila - perfect friday music :smokin

Country-fied recommendations for Lute and Marpow.

https://www.livefromaustintx.com/collections/dvd

And I would also recommend John Hiatt's -Master of Disaster SACD., and his live from austin DVD.(y)

Thanks a million, fizzy!

Country-fried music in surround looks finger lickin' good. (Sorry...I couldn't resist. LOL! :ugham:)

I'll definitely be checking them out. Have a good weekend! :sun

Back