Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Foreigner - IV SACD

2d92v5g.jpg

Holst - The Planets -- Hansjörg Albrecht - organ (SACD) I love that majestic Jupiter theme
After Forever - Remagine (SACD) pretty good surround mix, but the sound quality is a bit flat, it misse the punch much needed for metal, imo
The Band - The Last Waltz (DVDA) really surprising good surround sound for a live show

OrganOrgan - Ville Urponen (Alba SACD)

A collection of 20th century Finnish music for pipe organ.
Forgive me...perhaps not everyone here's cup of tea, but...
How I do love music for pipe organ! :banana:

Whenever I put one of these discs on, I can't help but think this is the main reason I have my surround system. And Alba Records is amongst the best in the business. Their pipe organ recordings aren't particularly discrete, but rather superbly capture the natural resonance of the organ and venue.
My aunt played the pipe organ in my church for over 60 years. I would sit right between the pipes when singing. She knew I liked the low end so whenever she would push the pedals with her bare feet she would look at me and give me a little smile. She would shut it down when the priest would say his sermon and when finished she would flip a switch to start the huge compressor and suddenly the floor would start to vibrate and I could actually feel the air move. That organ is now converted to some sort of electronic gizmo. Does not sound the same. The pipes were left in place, probably for looks. Just not the same anymore.

Magenta "Seven" 5.1 DVD- This Rocks (and Robert Reed is a master surround mixer)!!! Sounds like classic Yes. Yet another great band I discovered on the QQ!

This is seriously the best Yes album (that isn't Yes) ever! Everyone must get this!!!

OK, now I'm just talking to myself, but Magenta "Seven" has almost 80 minutes of classic prog rock, and the best Dolby Digital sound quality you've heard... still available on the band website!

Magenta "Seven" 5.1 DVD- This Rocks (and Robert Reed is a master surround mixer)!!! Sounds like classic Yes. Yet another great band I discovered on the QQ!

Agree on both fronts as I found about these guys from here as well and so correct on the Yes comparison.
To bad Rob Reed didn't know about Neil Wilkes when these albums came out as we would have gotten this in Dis 24/96 or maybe even Dvd Audio as Rob Reed does do that now with Neil W.'s help on all his current releases.
Rob R. has a fantastic feel for surround as well as his influences shine through in music he is putting out.

peter

Watching/listening to Roger Waters' The Wall - Live! (& documentary). For a live concert, this has really great sound, but as much as I've enjoyed the whole 'Roger' experience, I would love to have a 'Songs Only' option for this. May have to try to figure out how to edit video. Hello, and goodbye. :)

Gong "Rejoice! I'm Dead" DVD-A - Uh, nice mix and fidelity, but if this is representative of most Gong albums, I'm not sure if I'll be purchasing any others...

Back