Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am currently listening to Jean-Michel Jarre - Aero. This is my 2nd time through the disc in 24 hours. If you are looking for an active and discrete surround mix, do not miss this disc. Some people will say this is OVER-active. I say, bring it on! This is one of the most surround-y experiences you can get in surround mixed music.

For those not familiar with his work, it is electronic music from the 70s and 80s, in the same vein as Tangerine Dream. I loved it in stereo, and I love it in surround. You can check the comments from others in the poll thread here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...arre-Aero-CD-DVD&p=39218&viewfull=1#post39218

If rotational panning floats your boat, get this one pronto!

PS: I went to see him in concert in 2017, and I am sad to report he had taken the "beats bait" and made most of his music sound like shitty modern "un-chi un-chi un-chi" stuff. Thankfully, this older work does not suffer from that malady. Just my opinion.

Hi. All

I am starting to go through my Quad Reel to Reel tapes and have started with *Tomita-Kosmos* and each time I play Tomita I get that felling of magic he has the ablity to creat land scapes in sound which has depth & width & movement it can be very sutle to very Dynamic love his Quad.....

Untitled_Panorama1.jpg

Lots of DVD-A tonight!

At the moment: Foo Fighters- In Your Honor

Earlier this evening:
David Crosby- If Only I Could Remember My Name
Talking Heads- Little Creatures
Yes- Close To The Edge

Hi. All

I am starting to go through my Quad Reel to Reel tapes and have started with *Tomita-Kosmos* and each time I play Tomita I get that felling of magic he has the ablity to creat land scapes in sound which has depth & width & movement it can be very sutle to very Dynamic love his Quad.....

View attachment 31829

Hope the retirement is what you hoped it would be:)

Started off this Jeff Beck day with The Jeff Beck Group in quad on SACD followed by selected works in 5.1 from these BD-Vs:
Jeff Beck - Live At Ronnie Scott’s
Jeff Beck - Live in Tokyo
Jeff Beck - Rock and Roll Party
Rock and Roll 25th Anniversary HoF Concert - Jeff Beck set

39E214FB-E3EC-4B4F-AF98-3112390AC0DE.jpg

Elvis Presley - "Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite" QR conversion... this mix is great for a live album; orchestral components and backing vocals in the rear channels, other instruments up front, and Elvis everywhere! Lots of fun:banana:

Oh man...I'd love to have a quality disc of the Supremes...wouldn't even have to be surround...just good fidelity...love to have some Motown titles(y)

Submitted for your approval... the 1966 album that knocked Revolver out of #1 on the charts.

The Supremes A' Go-Go Expanded Edition

This was the first Motown album I bought, age 12.
A great introduction to the canon, as it included covers of tunes by other artists on the label.

One of my favorite 2017 re-issues.
An embarrassment of unreleased tracks, alternate mixes, studio chatter...
Well-mastered, sounding awesome this morning in PLIIM.

Four-panel digi-pak, deluxe booklet with historic publicity photos and liner notes.
A second booklet reproduction of a period tour program.

Highest recommendation, if there's a better Motown re-issue out there, I'd like to know about it.

61hD7DVBxcL.jpg

Submitted for your approval... the 1966 album that knocked Revolver out of #1 on the charts.

The Supremes A' Go-Go Expanded Edition

This was the first Motown album I bought, age 12.
A great introduction to the canon, as it included covers of tunes by other artists on the label.

One of my favorite 2017 re-issues.
An embarrassment of unreleased tracks, alternate mixes, studio chatter...
Well-mastered, sounding awesome this morning in PLIIM.

Four-panel digi-pak, deluxe booklet with historic publicity photos and liner notes.
A second booklet reproduction of a period tour program.

Highest recommendation, if there's a better Motown re-issue out there, I'd like to know about it.

View attachment 31857
Is this release a surround sound release ?

Is this release a surround sound release ?

No it's not...the reason it's on the surround thread is because a member is trying to make my "wish" come true...a true act of heroism...bravery and sheer determination...let's just hope some bean counter doesn't object to it being on this thread...I know that's not you Markie Mark..you have always been a champion of the underdog:)

It is not, it is a reply to Clint's request for Motown titles even if they're not in surround.:eek:

But I can tell you in decodes well into fake surround. ;)

As long has it's not "bright"...I can't deal with compressed...just saying...I have my finger on the order button as we speak...just give me the word that it doesn't suffer from "modern" mastering...

Back