Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road 30'th Anniversary Deluxe Edition 5.1 Mix SACD

IMG_0338.jpg

I must admit that when Eagle Rock announced these SD/Blu Ray discs I wasn't a happy camper...my objection was based on my 4k video observations...tv companies have embarked on a lavish campaign to sell potential buyers of 4k displays that their product can make normal material(non 4k)look as good as real 4k content...which is sad...they are taking average(and in most cases I'm being kind)LCD TV's with a few modifications and calling them 4k TV's....so my first thought on these SD Blu Rays is that they are going to go the cost savings route and produce less REAL blu ray content...I'm happy to say that hasn't been the case with Eagle Rock...I've softened my position on the topic and can now see the value of some of these concerts being produced in the SD/blu ray mode if they do improve the sound options over a standard DVD concert...I have many DVD concerts that I only listen to and never watch...just to hear the music...

How is the sound quality of this one? Do you have the DVD to try a comparison?

Clint,

I am not the owner of a DVD copy of this Blu-Ray. Thanks for your historical roadmap above. All of you guys are rather enlightening on a wide range of SS/DD/DTS/ETC. information. Thanks to all of you who are in it to love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...I have many DVD concerts that I only listen to and never watch...just to hear the music...

I donate platelets every 2 - 3 weeks. It takes around 2 hours, once the machine is up and running. I take that time to catch up on DVD concerts. I bring my own Sennheiser HD 380 Pros. I figure the surround is shit on most concerts and I'm getting better fidelity if a choose the stereo track, in most cases. Through headphones the sound is very enveloping anyway, the cones being around your ears. I find it is the time I listen to music the most closely, actually. Captive audience, no distractions. For those who haven't done it, you really can't move much.
The PQ doesn't really matter because the TV they provide is nothing special.

I donate platelets every 2 - 3 weeks. It takes around 2 hours, once the machine is up and running. I take that time to catch up on DVD concerts. I bring my own Sennheiser HD 380 Pros. I figure the surround is shit on most concerts and I'm getting better fidelity if a choose the stereo track, in most cases. Through headphones the sound is very enveloping anyway, the cones being around your ears. I find it is the time I listen to music the most closely, actually. Captive audience, no distractions. For those who haven't done it, you really can't move much.
The PQ doesn't really matter because the TV they provide is nothing special.

You are a good man for donating(y)

You are a good man for donating(y)

Oh, just happy I can be helpful somehow. I have a really common whole blood type (A+) and I have an ultra high platelet count. I give a triple donation every time.
I try to be a humanitarian, but it also makes me feel good and I get some uninterrupted music time! :D
Platelets are aaalllways needed, because they expire hella fast. :yikes Hopefully somebody's got my back in my hour of need.

This SACD is my preferred multi-channel GYBR, vs. the BluRay. Mostly because of the bonus tracks, including a stupendous acoustic version of Candle in the Wind. To my ears it also has a smoother sound although I can't say why.

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road 30'th Anniversary Deluxe Edition 5.1 Mix SACD

I've owned this disc for a long time - and honestly, I find it as refreshing today as I did years ago. Wow! I'd say, if any of you don't own this...seek it out. It is one wacko trip.....

:)

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

I've owned this disc for a long time - and honestly, I find it as refreshing today as I did years ago. Wow! I'd say, if any of you don't own this...seek it out. It is one wacko trip.....

:)

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Yep. Easily in my top 10. Or top 5. It's way up there.

And... Mrs. Baggins loves it too, which helps!

OK, back to the old days (only a year or so ago) when Audio Fidelity was releasing awesome Quad discs....

The Guess Who - The Best of The Guess Who.....

What I wouldn't give for them to shock us with 4 to 5 more killer releases..... :(

It's a quad conversion night of stuff I haven't heard in a while....Gordon Lightfoot Sundown, Focus Moving Waves.....SteelDave....convince Mr. Dutton to get ty he rights to that. Great wuad mix and music dying for a proper release.

Focus Moving Waves???? One of my all time favs.

Jan Akkerman is a fantastic guitarist, artistic compositions, and this album has great sonics.

Quad version? :bounce

It's a quad conversion night of stuff I haven't heard in a while....Gordon Lightfoot Sundown, Focus Moving Waves.....SteelDave....convince Mr. Dutton to get ty he rights to that. Great wuad mix and music dying for a proper release.

Sure, there was a quad, and it's a wild ride. I don't recall the label ownership though at the moment if it were a possibility. Would be a super release, but not trying to add to the rumour mill.

Janus Records as distributed by ABC Records in the U.S. So that dictated a blue GRT Q8 tape. Played mine quite often and enjoy a DVD-A conversion these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Beatles - Sgt Peppers (-4dB LCR & LFE) really brings out the surrounds without the worry of added distortion. Hell, it's still a bit front heavy overall, but reasonably so. I burnt myself out on this when it first came out in surround, but wow, I'm lovin' it now. :smokin

I hear the ending as roughly 'Am-ba-du-swei-an-dei-o-voh-wah' but here it is backwards: :yikes

[video=youtube;erROQrJqzhw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erROQrJqzhw[/video]

Back