Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is not, it is a reply to Clint's request for Motown titles even if they're not in surround.:eek:

But I can tell you in decodes well into fake surround. ;)

There is a reason that this CD sounds good...and you won't find this on Discogs...Kevin Reeves worked on the mix..the only real disappointing thing I can see from looking at the song selections is that they are doing cover songs...not their own mega hits..but I will get this anyway because of your suggestion and Kevin's involvement..

As long has it's not "bright"...I can't deal with compressed...just saying...I have my finger on the order button as we speak...just give me the word that it doesn't suffer from "modern" mastering...

Not to my ears, here's the stereo Itching' In My Heart waveform.

Dammit, Clint, you're trying to get me sent back to QQ Off-Topic Jail.
My last word in this thread. :sun
We return you now to your regular programming...

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 10.04.53 AM.jpg

There is a reason that this CD sounds good...and you won't find this on Discogs...Kevin Reeves worked on the mix..the only real disappointing thing I can see from looking at the song selections is that they are doing cover songs...not their own mega hits..but I will get this anyway because of your suggestion and Kevin's involvement..

I'll wait for your review, Clint. :banana:

Diana Ross & The Supremes - Greatest Hits CD-4 conversion... nice surround mixes except the lead vocals are way too loud.

I enjoy that one quite a bit myself (have the LP and likely the same conversion). The alternate vocals and instrumentation are fascinating. The Jackson 5 hits comp also uses some different takes.

The other Motown quads I've heard seem to be much truer to the originals - my favorites are "All Directions" and "Let's Get It On".

Not to my ears, here's the stereo Itching' In My Heart waveform.

Dammit, Clint, you're trying to get me sent back to QQ Off-Topic Jail.
My last word in this thread. :sun
We return you now to your regular programming...

View attachment 31858

Just keep in mind that anytime you(or anyone on here)want to discuss this topic or any other music related topics...there is a place to do it...it's open 24/7 and no need to apologize for talking about something off topic HERE

image.jpgMajicat Cat Stevens DVD video DTS 5.1. Really excellent DVD where Cat Stevens performs all his hits live just 18 months before he quit music altogether. Good video great sound for something filmed and recorded in 1976.

View attachment 31866Majicat Cat Stevens DVD video DTS 5.1. Really excellent DVD where Cat Stevens performs all his hits live just 18 months before he quit music altogether. Good video great sound for something filmed and recorded in 1976.

Totally AGREE. The DTS 5.1 sound is spectacular [although NOT discrete] and buy it while you can. Would love to see it re~released on Blu Ray with hi res audio. https://www.amazon.com/Cat-Stevens-...16254348&sr=1-2&keywords=cat+stevens:+Majikat

Ultimate Mancini. Relaxing music after *quite* a work day.

I've been having many work days like that lately. I come home and I'm just mentally smashed. :violin

So, let me think...what did I listen to last night...

KROKUS - debut album on vinyl. :)
Aerosmith - Rocks (upmix)
Van Halen - Fair Warning - vinyl
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood (half of it anyway)

Mastodon - Leviathan 5.1 Bonus DVD (only 3 songs)... wish this entire album had been mixed in surround! Mix is good surround-wise, and the instruments sound much clearer than on the stereo mix. (most Mastodon mixes sound compressed- the LPs tend to have better DR, though)

More Mastodon, PLEASE!!!

I've been having many work days like that lately. I come home and I'm just mentally smashed. :violin

So, let me think...what did I listen to last night...

KROKUS - debut album on vinyl. :)
Aerosmith - Rocks (upmix)
Van Halen - Fair Warning - vinyl
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood (half of it anyway)

there's a Quad of "Rocks" dontchyaknow! :p

This morning, with coffee, grapefruit juice & sunlight:

Starting from three versions of Concerto de Aranjuez:
Julian Bream & Orchestra (Guitar, Cor Anglais, classical orchestra)
Miles & Gil Evans (Trumpet, acoustic jazz orchestra)
Chick & RTF (Fender-Rhodes, electric jazz-rock band)

START: Wife departs for weekly shopping

Julian Bream ~ Concertos for Lute & Orchestra ~ Dutton Epoch SACD 4.0
Concierto de Aranjuez (Rodrigo) ~ Track 13-15
Allegro con spirito -> Adagio -> Allegro gentile

Miles Davis / Gil Evans ~ Sketches of Spain ~ Monster DVD DTS 24/96 5.1
Concierto de Aranjuez (Rodrigo) ~ Track 1

Chick Corea / Return to Forever ~ Light As A Feather ~ Verve CD ~ PLIImu upmix
Concierto de Aranjuez intro (Rodrigo) -> Spain (Corea) ~ Track 6

Chick Corea - My Spanish Heart ~ Verve CD upmix ~ Complete

Davis / Evans ~ Sketches of Spain ~ Remainder of disc

Miles Davis ~ Miles Smiles ~ Verve CD upmix ~ Complete

Corea / Return to Forever ~ Light As A Feather ~ upmix ~ Complete

Deodato ~ Prelude ~ Dutton Vocalion SACD 4.0
Also Spracht Zarathustra 2001 (Strauss) ~ Track 1

Return to Forever ~ Musicmagic ~ Dutton Vocalion SACD 4.0
So Long Mickey Mouse (Clarke) ~ Track 4

END ~ Wife returns from shopping ~ Siesta Quiet Time

DSCF3865a.jpg

Miles Davis "Live-Evil" SQ LP I just found at a local record store.

Crazy stuff...if you like Bitches Brew this is definitely worth checking out.

It'd sure be great if they both got the Quad SACD with 7" packaging treatment from Sony Japan.

Yes - Close To The Edge on blu ray in 5.1

Edit: I like prog rock as much as the next person, and I know this is an iconic album but I just can’t make it through the entirety of CTTE....:couch

Back