Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jerry Granelli-Sandhills Reunion. SACD 5ch.

Highly recommended ! Probably the most unique bluesy/jazz/newage presentations with a story telling narrative that works so well .

Almost always played once each month . A regular rotation kinda disc . Very moody and cool. :smokin

20170525_182805.jpg

widespread Panic don't tell the band, DVD-A 5.1 MLP 96k 24b. I've had this for a while and this is only my second time listening though not seated properly. I was hesitant to buy it and don't remember what I thought of it the first time, maybe negative, probably not it the mood for it then. Liking it now, though I am moving around the house.
Edit: Meaning, I like the content and the sound quality just can't comment on the surround yet.

Last edited:
Oi !!

Just gave this a re-spin the other day . There is far too much going on in the rears and it provides circular demos , for this cd not to be encoded .
SQ QUAD encoded CD , imho.-both Pure Music and Chase (first album). (y)

View attachment 29478View attachment 29479

well I shall just have to get this BGO CD 3-fer and try it out FW! ;)

(as you'll recall neither the iTunes download nor the Blu-Spec CD resemble the SQ LP when run thru the Surround Master in SQ mode)

Chicago VII Quadio, such an outstanding disc in a fantastic set. I haven't spun any Chicago for a few months but the quality of this set still amazes me.

Chase / Pure Music

excellent surround and music :smokin

Back in the day I saw Chase at Mr. T-Bone's in Kalamazoo. Bill stood playing, 3 feet from our table. It was shortly after Pure Music came out, and just before his death.

I played trumpet in high school, Chase was my idol. A very sad day when he died.

Steve

I agree, the Chase quads (especially Pure Music) are fantastic. The self-titled album is a little gimmicky (in a good way) but Pure Music has to be amongst the best of the mid-70s Columbia quads. I always felt like the emergence of jazz-fusion gave Chase a second lease on life, you can only imagine what a '75 follow up to Pure Music may have been like.

sbrom - about 15 years ago there were a bunch of Chase live CD's from '73/'74 released and they're really good. I don't know if they're still available anywhere, but there is info about them available on discogs.

There's also a seemingly complete video (with stereo sound!) of a fantastic showcase gig at Faces Nightclub in Chicago on Feb. 28th, 1974 on youtube:

[video=youtube;-X9myw6qA-0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X9myw6qA-0[/video]

well I shall just have to get this BGO CD 3-fer and try it out FW! ;)

(as you'll recall neither the iTunes download nor the Blu-Spec CD resemble the SQ LP when run thru the Surround Master in SQ mode)

picked up the BGO Chase set tonight, FW. I'll let you know how I get on putting it thru the Surround Master :upthumb

Back