Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to share a little addition to Foobar for you DarkOne skin lovers. It's about displaying Dynamic Range (album), Samplerate and bits in the playlist. You have to scan with DR meter before that value will show - just as you do with Replaygain.

It will look like this:

YobrQ60.jpg

To make your DarkOne show this - you right-click in the playlist area, choose "Settings..." , choose the "Group header" tab and fill in the red marked text:

bpWzOLv.jpg

And click on Apply! It should now display the values if you are playing something.

Do it at your own risk of course, take a screencap before you change anything - if you like to.

And Yes - the underscore at the beginning of bitspersample - it is a double one!

The second (and excellent) Dar Williams Silverline:

ngET9Ut.jpg

The Beauty of the Rain was produced by Steuart Lerman and Rob Hyman, and features guest appearances by a remarkable array of talent: Alison Krauss on vocals, Bela Fleck on banjo, John Popper manning the harmonica and backup vocals, Stefan Lessard (of Dave Matthews Band) on bass, John Medeski on keyboards, Chris Botti on trumpet, Cliff Eberhardt on vocals and Michael Kang (String Cheese Incident) on fiddle.

Dar Williams does a wonderful cover of Richard Manuel's "Whispering Pines" on this CD, sharing the vocals with Alison Krauss and Cliff Eberhardt.

Well of course I am listening to fucking Temple of The Dog 5.1 why would anybody say this is not perfect, audiophile BS, and next Badmotofinger. I wish I had the so called inferior Superunkown, but never got it cuz I listened to others negative comments, now I regret my decision. Say Hello To Heaven, Baby.

Again! :banana:

The_Cars_-_The_Cars.jpg

I can't believe that this mix was created (sounds like Scheiner to me) but never officially released. From everything else I've heard, this is the best professionally done surround mix that's never had an official release. I can't believe it's never been released. It's the best surround 'leak' that I've ever heard in my life. I'd be glad to buy this. :upthumb

Tonight's randomly-generated surround playlist:

Pixies "Here Comes Your Man" (Doolittle BD-A)
Paul McCartney "Mamunia" (The McCartney Years DVD-V)
The Go-Go's "Our Lips Are Sealed"
The Flaming Lips "The Sound Of Failure" (At War With The Mystics DVD-A)
R.E.M. "Ignoreland" (Automatic For The People DVD-A)
Metallica "King Nothing" (The Videos DVD-V)
Queen "I Want To Break Free" (Greatest Video Hits 2 DVD-A)
The Flaming Lips "Do You Realize" (Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots DVD-A)
Alice Cooper "Billion Dollar Babies" (Billion Dollar Babies DVD-A)
R.E.M. "All The Way To Reno" (Reveal DVD-A)
Gentle Giant "Playing the Game" (The Power And The Glory BD-A)
Blackfield "From 44-48" (Blackfield 5 BD-A)
King Crimson "Exiles" (Larks' Tongues In Aspic DVD-A)
R.E.M. "Star 69" (Monster DVD-A)
Alice Cooper "Unfinished Sweet" (Billion Dollar Babies DVD-A)
King Crimson "Pictures Of A City" (In The Wake Of Poseidon DVD-A)

ztUgaBC.jpg

New in the mailbox today, very cool alternative country rock, nice surround mix - but with a low Dynamic Range and recorded extremely loud :mad:

It does not sound too bad though.

Last edited:
Another loud disc, the second Widespread Panic Silverline.

vhNxYvE.jpg

An excellent collection of songs - nice fidelty and surround-mix - but like the other WP album it does benefit from +3 dB to the rears.

Again! :banana:

The_Cars_-_The_Cars.jpg

I can't believe that this mix was created (sounds like Scheiner to me) but never officially released. From everything else I've heard, this is the best professionally done surround mix that's never had an official release. I can't believe it's never been released. It's the best surround 'leak' that I've ever heard in my life. I'd be glad to buy this. :upthumb

I guess moving in Quadio is just what you needed..! ;)

Mac Davis ‎– Thunder In The Afternoon (Q8)

I'm really enjoying this one. The tape does offer a nice discrete mix, but the fidelity is not on par with what a good Q8 can offer (a bit too mid-rangy for my taste). I'm still digging the songs a lot.

As an audiophile I am into so many aspects of any release. I am listening now to Jethro Tull, Songs From The Wood, DVD 1, DTS 24/96 at 68db. The Jethro Tull releases are the best with packaging, liner notes and ease of menu. All company's should make these Tull releases there model, I believe The Beatles will. The sonic brilliance of this disc, DVD 1, is just amazing. We talk on this forum of this and that and for me, anything surround is good from shitty to ambient, to sonic mix mastery. The idea of surround is room filling and engaging of ones mind to active listening. This is my 5th Jethro Tull Surround release and It is super good. I am by no means a Tull fan, as a youth I only owned 3 Tull albums, the minstrel element of Tull freaks me out, and I don't like it. The good news is I am super happy to add this to my collection, unlike Warchild. Chrysalis is the label, I only hope that soon they do a 5.1 release of Ten Years After, Space In Time was done, can't we do more, can you imagine Stonedhenge in surround or Watt and SSSH ? Would make my day. Anyway when the poll comes up for Songs From The Wood I will vote 10 and I am not even a big Prog fan.
51JQxS43VKL.jpg

Back