Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And haven't reviewed this in a bit, so........

Alice Cooper-Welcome To My Nightmare DVDA

It is a pretty adventurous mix for an early DVDA release from Warner. (Killer--would be--Killer ):smokin

20171004_154212.jpg

New York Voices - Let It Snow on SACD in 5.1

Too early? Naw, I paid good money for some surround Christmas discs so I need to get them in the player early and often. Here's my attitude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzRPioYPa28

Anyone who loves Christmas Music should have this fantastic holiday disc in their collection. And a great selling point besides the glorious music, superb sonics and discrete mix: It was remixed into 5.1 by Elliot Scheiner! :party

Anjulie (MonsterMusic SuperDisc) DTS 48/24: Had to, for some reason Rain has been bouncing around in my mind all week. Haven't listened in at least 6 months but I like this disc.

Last edited:
King Crimson - Earthbound (Live At Summit Studios) Quad DTS - This is a great-sounding live album... it's not really a discrete mix in the surround channels, but there's definitely plenty of sound from the rear channels, thereby creating a very wide, room-filling soundstage. Because it's live in a studio, the fidelity is excellent. I'm not much of a live album guy, but I like this one!(y)

King Crimson - Earthbound (Live At Summit Studios) Quad DTS - This is a great-sounding live album... it's not really a discrete mix in the surround channels, but there's definitely plenty of sound from the rear channels, thereby creating a very wide, room-filling soundstage. Because it's live in a studio, the fidelity is excellent. I'm not much of a live album guy, but I like this one!(y)

The sound of this one is seriously great... the drums really have some deep punch and a crisp high end; every instrument sounds so well defined (even without being discrete*). Very wide left/right separation across the front of the room, extending laterally past each front speaker and, at times, stretching farther towards the rears.

*the audience is discrete:)

Richard Wagner: Meistersinger (prelude), Lohengrin - Act 3 (prelude), Rienzi (overture), Fliegende Holländer (overture), Tannhäuser (overture)

Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra Amsterdam
Yakov Kreizberg (conductor)

Broad tempos, but very satisfying modern performance & recording of these pieces. The brass comes through very well indeed!

Back