Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, one more surround album, then off to bed:

Queen_The_Game.png

Weird Al - Straight Outta Lynwood

This is fun! :banana:

It is a pretty awesome disc. I'll have to fire it up sometime.

I love pondering what it would have been like to have Weird Al for a step-father. My mom turned him down for a date when I was little.
He asked out of curiosity, after she insisted she wasn't interested, if she knew who he was. She said, "yes, my sons listen to your albums constantly in the car!"
Along with Huey Lewis, England Dan and David Meece. Those were the biggies back then.

It is a pretty awesome disc. I'll have to fire it up sometime.

I love pondering what it would have been like to have Weird Al for a step-father. My mom turned him down for a date when I was little.
He asked out of curiosity, after she insisted she wasn't interested, if she knew who he was. She said, "yes, my sons listen to your albums constantly in the car!"
Along with Huey Lewis, England Dan and David Meece. Those were the biggies back then.

Weird Al was an essential part of my childhood... he used to appear weekly on "The Dr. Demento Show" on KMET in Los Angeles; I would record the shows with my cassette player and listen to them all week. I heard him perform "Another One Rides The Bus" live on the show, and I was hooked. Some other classics I can recall that frequently made the "Dr. Demento Funny Five": Yoda (Weird Al), Dead Puppies, 99 Dead Babboons, Fish Heads... I can't remember the others or the artists, but fun stuff!

So your mom turned down Huey Lewis, England Dan, and David Meece for dates as well?

haha - that's pretty funny. Well, for someone (me) who has a good sense of humor - I personally just can't stand Weird Al. I should say, I just don't really like his music. Though, I recall finding one of his Michael Jackson videos to be somewhat funny.

That all said, I mean, obviously the guy is very talented (IMO) and I suppose he has (is) making a good living.

haha - that's pretty funny. Well, for someone (me) who has a good sense of humor - I personally just can't stand Weird Al. I should say, I just don't really like his music. Though, I recall finding one of his Michael Jackson videos to be somewhat funny.

That all said, I mean, obviously the guy is very talented (IMO) and I suppose he has (is) making a good living.

EDIT - just now had some memories of another video of his where he is poking fun of the Amish. lmao - I do recall thinking that was pretty damn funny. OK, maybe I like him more than I know.

FWIW both Night Owl and City To City do sound great via Tate SQ . I would love some Stealer's wheel and his later catalogue in surround, though. Great musician who left a legacy. :D

I'd love to hear Night Owl and City To City - especially City To City. That's really high on my wish list for 5.1. I really ended up liking the Can I Have My Money Back DVD-A as well. Gerry Rafferty's musical legacy is still very much underappreciated...

EDIT - just now had some memories of another video of his where he is poking fun of the Amish. lmao - I do recall thinking that was pretty damn funny. OK, maybe I like him more than I know.

He is very talented, no question. Lyrically, I prefer some of his parodies to the original song. His original songs ain't bad sometimes too.
And as for his band (and him vocally and on accordion) - to be able to mimic all the styles they do and really pull it off, especially live at their shows, is very impressive.

Haha, Sean! No, those were just the cassettes we had in the car. :mad:@:

RTF Musicmagic

OMG, can't stop spinning this and reading the liner notes.

FYI, anyone who imagines they hear guitar anywhere on this album, be advised:
This recording is guitar-free.
You are either hearing Stanley Clarke's piccolo bass (mainly LR) or Chick Corea on a synth.

Oops, just ended.
So jazzed, next up RTF Live At Montreux (DVD DTS 5.1) 2008 reunion of the Romantic Warrior band.
A tour I saw in Omaha in 2008, and originally in 1976, right before that group split.

Lenny White had more floor toms in his kit in 2008 than I have ever seen on a stage in my life.

After listening to the excellent Return To Forever-Musicmagic...I transitioned to the more organic vocals of Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground on the Loaded DTS DVD(I'm proud to say I like DTS:couch)...at times Lou has that early Bob Dylan sound...going from the polished arrangement of Musicmagic to the "helter skelter" like atmosphere of Velvet Underground is just what I needed today...reminds me that I love the smell of napalm in the morning....Moondance is up next...I need some Van the Man:spot

One I've not played in quite a while and as my deluxe of the new record is on the way I thought it might be a good time to give this one another spin -

Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning
Steven_Wilson_-_Grace_for_Drowning.jpg

Back