Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little bit of Bryan Ferry tonite.
Highly recommended for the music and fabulous surroundings via Bob Clearmountain .

20170722_151251.jpg

:sun

Just got in Pentatone's latest quad transfer, featuring Bartok recordings from 1973 and 1976 (the inlay says 1979, but the booklet says 1976, clearly correct since the LP came out in 1977).

81KfznsEBHL._SL500_.jpg

I've only listened to the Concerto for Orchestra so far with Kubelik conducting, and I'm still forming an opinion. The dynamic range on this disc in quad is enormous - it needs to be cranked, but be prepared for some serious volume once you do that in parts of the piece. I frankly think I need to listen again from the beginning at a louder volume. The actual performance is fantastic, of course, there's a reason it's roundly praised. Surround activity is discrete but subtle - generally the instruments providing the subtext are placed in the rears and the instruments being featured are placed in the fronts. It's not a surround extravaganza, but it's more aggressive that the average classical recording.

Also need to listen to the Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta. Ozawa recorded this same program with his Saito Kinen Orchestra in the early days of SACD, and it's an excellent DSD-recorded SACD that still pops up at reasonable prices. Will be interesting to compare.

There's a lot of competition in this repertoire - if Sony hadn't nerfed the quad in the Boulez version on SACD that would an the obvious contender. Reiner's classic account with Chicago is essential, but only in 2/3 channel on Living Stereo. There's no obviously superior one in proper multichannel, though.

Great album and a beautiful room. The speakers match the furniture! My listening room doubles as my theater room and it's a black cave. Great for movies, but your room looks sooo much more inviting. :D
I didn't think it would work at first when we took out the wall in the back but it's so good. By the way the 12"" sub is behind the TV cabinet n the corner and playing off two walls, shakin'> I love you QQ'Rs

I didn't think it would work at first when we took out the wall in the back but it's so good. By the way the 12"" sub is behind the TV cabinet n the corner and playing off two walls, shakin'> I love you QQ'Rs
We love you too Cibola! :banana:

I blame my next choice on Baggins: ;)

Rush_Signals.jpg

Edit: Love this crazy Neil Peart lyric: 'He's adept at adaptation' from Digital Man, the oxymoron of Analog Kid, sorta. :smokin

Thank you Haikubass - I have read that thread - and a couple of others too, in here - but none of them have the Roy Orbison Live in Austin and Olivia Newton-John Live in Sydney listed. This makes me think that there maybe are other excellent mixes to find out there?

I want them all!!!!!! :banana: :mad:@:

Additional links that may lead you to his album credits for surround.

At one time there was a listing of his stereo and surround contributions in chronological status.

I notice he worked recently (4 years ago actually) with "Joe Jackson" on some his music. :smokin

links:

http://business.panasonic.com/solutions-automotivesolutions-audiosolutions-elsstudio

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliot_Scheiner

Back