Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rush - Time Machine Tour - BD DTS-HD-Master 5.1

Holy HELL, I do not remember my DVD sounding this good. Not by a fair stretch. Everything sounds pretty clear. The kick drum and bass are shaking the room. Such punch!
IIRC, the drums are fairly buried on the DVD. Not so here! Wooo! Quite a set too. I hope the SQ holds up throughout...

Holy HELL, I do not remember my DVD sounding this good. Not by a fair stretch. Everything sounds pretty clear. The kick drum and bass are shaking the room. Such punch!
IIRC, the drums are fairly buried on the DVD. Not so here! Wooo! Quite a set too. I hope the SQ holds up throughout...

Of all the Rush BD concerts, that one's my favourite :upthumb

'Moderator status' was bestowed on me as of yesterday (08/19/2016) to help Jon with the Hi-Rez Spotlight section of the forum by creating new poll threads for high-res DVDA, SACD, and Blu-Ray discs as they are released.

:)

Big congrats! You seem like the obvious choice :)

Just received this one and I'm really enjoying it. I had not heard anything by Copland before and after hearing this one and ordering it, I've acquired two other discs of his works.

Leonard Bernstein & The New York Philharmonic Orchestra ‎– Aaron Copland: Appalachian Spring, El Salon Mexico, Billy The Kid, Rodeo. (SACD)

Bernstein%20Copland%20SACD_zps1bktgw28.jpg

I see some bad reviews on Amazon and bought it CHEAP. We're talkin' $4 or 5 shipped. I wonder if some folks are having problems with bass management or other setup issues.
I've seen complaints that the bass is "boomy" but it isn't. It's powerful and punchy.

You may be right, some people might be having bass management issues. I've got a few "boomy" discs, this isn't one of them as I recall. Think I've got R30, R40, Snakes and Arrows, and Clockwork Angels BD concerts. I'm not quite sure what sets this one apart for me...the sound is as good or better than the others I guess, and I do like the song selection...and the venue (y)

Hi everyone,

I've always loved the sound of a well played harp. For that, this disc delivers. Although these pieces were originally composed for the harpsichord, the harp allows the listener to experience the music in another way. I'm currently enjoying this in 5.0 and the room is filled with this excellent sounding recording.

Soler: Sonatas for Harp - Godelieve Schrama (SACD)

Soler%20Harp%20SACD_zpsqw96gy6y.jpg

Thanks to Kal Rubinson, I know have this gem in my collection and I'm loving it! :)

Byron%20Janis%20SACD%201_zpshd7xni8c.jpg

Hi everyone,

I've always loved the sound of a well played harp. For that, this disc delivers. Although these pieces were originally composed for the harpsichord, the harp allows the listener to experience the music in another way. I'm currently enjoying this in 5.0 and the room is filled with this excellent sounding recording.

Soler: Sonatas for Harp - Godelieve Schrama (SACD)

Soler%20Harp%20SACD_zpsqw96gy6y.jpg

Never sussed how to do the 2+2+2 SACDs in 5.1 properly :eek: Any tips, Simon?

Just think Ryan, that AF SACD of Hot Aire could have been the Musicmagic or Tale Spinnin' Quads in Surround.. :rolleyes:

I know. That's why I purchased the DVD-A/V of this title. I wanted to see if it really made a worthy release for AF, and ultimately, I can say it does not.
The music is OK, the surround mix is very good, but it's just not the kind of recorded album that I think would really benefit from an SACD release.
It just sounds too programmed, synthesized, and sterile, a far cry from the incredibly warm, analogue recordings that AF have seen befit to reissue.

Never sussed how to do the 2+2+2 SACDs in 5.1 properly :eek: Any tips, Simon?

According to the schematics in the booklet, it implies having another pair of speakers over the front pair. I'll leave that pleasure to others. Six speakers is enough for me.

I know. That's why I purchased the DVD-A/V of this title. I wanted to see if it really made a worthy release for AF, and ultimately, I can say it does not.
The music is OK, the surround mix is very good, but it's just not the kind of recorded album that I think would really benefit from an SACD release.
It just sounds too programmed, synthesized, and sterile, a far cry from the incredibly warm, analogue recordings that AF have seen befit to reissue.

Thanks! in 4 sentences you just saved me throwing down the dollarini's on this one (in either form.. got plenty of surround titles like that I never play, programmed, synthesised, sterile, cold.. did you check out Musicmagic or Tale Spinnin' yet? Warm, analogue goodness abounds, imho..)

According to the schematics in the booklet, it implies having another pair of speakers over the front pair. I'll leave that pleasure to others. Six speakers is enough for me.

Thanks.. :) Wonder if there is any way to repurpose the 6 channels after the fact (via Audacity or somesuch) into something compatible with a conventional 5.1 setup?

Back