Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia - DVD-A 5.1
Took a looooong time to find this used at a reasonable price, then, lo and behold, someone offered it up <$12 and it is a near mint copy!
CD sounds great in the car.

Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia - DVD-A 5.1
Took a looooong time to find this used at a reasonable price, then, lo and behold, someone offered it up <$12 and it is a near mint copy!
CD sounds great in the car.

hahaha, wow, $12 huh? Obviously, either that soul was a very honest person....or was totally clueless. :) Nice find bro. I bought mine when it was released, so I guess I must have paid in the vicinity of $25 or so... ??

hahaha, wow, $12 huh? Obviously, either that soul was a very honest person....or was totally clueless. :) Nice find bro. I bought mine when it was released, so I guess I must have paid in the vicinity of $25 or so... ??

It's the first copy I've seen for sale under $50 or $60 in a couple of years. My guess is the guy just didn't know the format. (y)

Jon Faddis "Remembrance" Chesky SACD. Typical Chesky ambient surround mix but a wonderful recording nonetheless!

jf.jpg

Just saw the Jon Faddis Quartet perform at Dizzy's Club Coca Cola last night at Lincoln Center. Smokin'!

jf2.jpg

Just got in Pentatone's latest quad transfer, featuring Bartok recordings from 1973 and 1976 (the inlay says 1979, but the booklet says 1976, clearly correct since the LP came out in 1977).

View attachment 30136

I've only listened to the Concerto for Orchestra so far with Kubelik conducting, and I'm still forming an opinion. The dynamic range on this disc in quad is enormous - it needs to be cranked, but be prepared for some serious volume once you do that in parts of the piece. I frankly think I need to listen again from the beginning at a louder volume. The actual performance is fantastic, of course, there's a reason it's roundly praised. Surround activity is discrete but subtle - generally the instruments providing the subtext are placed in the rears and the instruments being featured are placed in the fronts. It's not a surround extravaganza, but it's more aggressive that the average classical recording.

Also need to listen to the Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta. Ozawa recorded this same program with his Saito Kinen Orchestra in the early days of SACD, and it's an excellent DSD-recorded SACD that still pops up at reasonable prices. Will be interesting to compare.

There's a lot of competition in this repertoire - if Sony hadn't nerfed the quad in the Boulez version on SACD that would an the obvious contender. Reiner's classic account with Chicago is essential, but only in 2/3 channel on Living Stereo. There's no obviously superior one in proper multichannel, though.

Is there ever one in any format? ;) lol

Thanks for your review! I really don't need another recording of these works, but I have a soft spot for these Quad recordings. And it's good to know this one from Pentatone offers solid performances in wonderful vintage Quad.

Now listening to...

Georg Philipp Telemann : Les Nations - Overtures & Oboe Concertos (SACD)

Vinciane Baudhuin (oboe)
Bach Concentus
Ewald Demeyere

93vdtOK.jpg

One of my favourite party songs from the 80s, excellent surround mix and fidelty - and with a guitar solo from S Lukather.

There more nice tracks here too, Billy Idol, The Knack, Blondie and the Camouflage dude with Mexican Radio.

:smokin

Back