Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... there's just so little listening time to waste it on anything less than discrete!

Ok, well that's fair. And yet, some uber-discrete quad is annoying too. We are spoiled that we have many superb "just right discrete" mixes available these days.
Unfortunately, we surround freaks have to sift through some chaff to get to the wheat and review it for the world.

Still, I think Tigerlily is worthy addition to any surround collection. It's so beautiful. It's a musical masterpiece, even though the mix could be more daring.

The Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach 5.1 SACD

IMG_0225.jpg

Linda Ronstadt "What's New" DVD-A... ahhh... really nice... not music I typically listen to, but this type of music touches me when I do... good mix and beautiful voice. My grandfather was a big band leader and my grandmother was the lead singer for his band, so maybe this music is in my blood... but so is Maiden, so go figure.

Linda Ronstadt "What's New" DVD-A... ahhh... really nice... not music I typically listen to, but this type of music touches me when I do... good mix and beautiful voice. My grandfather was a big band leader and my grandmother was the lead singer for his band, so maybe this music is in my blood... but so is Maiden, so go figure.

I have the SACD from CDJapan. Love it.

Jim Croce- You Don't Mess Around With Jim Q8

Excellent Q8 sound quality and surprisingly discrete considering how few tracks there are to work with. I remember reading that they are likely all destroyed, but if any survived these ABC/GRT quad masters deserve to be released.

How are the surround mixes on this one?

One of my favourite 5.1 live surround DVD'S. This is a slightly shortened version of Led Zeppelin-DVD.
And sometimes the mix is moderate and sometimes surprise !! Jimmy turns up in the rears. Mix by Jimmy and Kevin Shirley.

Recommended and listen to "What Is And What Should Never Be " for a true surround demo track. :smokin

One of my favourite 5.1 live surround DVD'S. This is a slightly shortened version of Led Zeppelin-DVD.
And sometimes the mix is moderate and sometimes surprise !! Jimmy turns up in the rears. Mix by Jimmy and Kevin Shirley.

Recommended and listen to "What Is And What Should Never Be " for a true surround demo track. :smokin

Thanks... it's on the way!

Steven Wilson - To the Bone Blu-ray

Having my 4th listen now, sounding nice now even to my poor battered earoles after last nights live gig at The Thekla in Bristol, Lonely Robot were VERY LOUD.

U5kifbt.jpg

I've voted a 9 in the poll, I wasn't sure about the music to start with but it's really growing on me:D I thought the surround could have been better, but now I think it's because of what has been put in the rears, seems a bit understated, and vocals in the centre make it sound more front oriented.
Code to download the stereo version not included with my Blu-ray(n) but I got hold of it anyway!

The Thekla is by favourite Bristol venue, the sound isn't that bad considering you're standing in the hold of an old banana boat!

Steven Wilson - To the Bone Blu-ray

Having my 4th listen now, sounding nice now even to my poor battered earoles after last nights live gig at The Thekla in Bristol, Lonely Robot were VERY LOUD.

U5kifbt.jpg

I've voted a 9 in the poll, I wasn't sure about the music to start with but it's really growing on me:D I thought the surround could have been better, but now I think it's because of what has been put in the rears, seems a bit understated, and vocals in the centre make it sound more front oriented.
Code to download the stereo version not included with my Blu-ray(n) but I got hold of it anyway!

Claude Debussy: Starry Night (BD-A)

Préludes Book I & other works

Michael Lewin (piano)

Only one piano, but fully immersive, gorgeous surround sound.

In quiet moments I put on the SACD Gieseking Debussy Preludes . . . delicate, but delicious 8'). Not multi, but for a single piano, I don't need that <yea, yea, Philistine!>

edit: !!! I bought this on Acoustic Sounds for a very reasonable cost -- but on Amazon it is a shocker :yikes

https://www.amazon.com/Debussy-Comp...ywords=walter+gieseking+debussy+preludes+sacd

Try Discogs for 22 bucks 8'):

https://www.discogs.com/Debussy-Walter-Gieseking-Complete-Piano-Works/master/1213824

"...and the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon 5.1 BDA
Excellent choice for today! I had to work, but I walked out and watched the eclipse just before totality. First full solar eclipse of my life and it was cosmic, literally. Shadows got really strange, stars came out on a cloudless summer afternoon, and being able to look directly at the moon/sun with the corona blasting out through space was beyond words. Think I'll give Darkside a listen right now too. :)

Back