Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete Townsend/Ronnie Lane-Rough Mix. DVDA DUALDISC

Excellent surround for a somewhat modest recording .

20170519_193927.jpg

Paul Simon-You're The One . DVDA 5.1 ? 4.1

Yeah, I think this album tends to showcase the quadrant speakers , little if anything in the centre, and I kinda like it this way. :D

20170519_204837.jpg20170519_204248.jpg

As an audiophile I am into so many aspects of any release. I am listening now to Jethro Tull, Songs From The Wood, DVD 1, DTS 24/96 at 68db. Chrysalis is the label, I only hope that soon they do a 5.1 release of Ten Years After, Space In Time was done, can't we do more, can you imagine Stonedhenge in surround or Watt and SSSH ? Would make my day. Anyway when the poll comes up for Songs From The Wood I will vote 10 and I am not even a big Prog fan.
View attachment 29372

T.Y.A. on Chrysalis----A Space In Time , Electric Recorded Live , Rock And Roll Music To The World , Positive Vibrations............

Not a Dud in the bunch , be it London's discs or Chrysalis'

Ten Years After , the perfect candidate for surround, their stereo albums are chock full of "wild " stereo panning . :music

One of the better "Live In Montreaux " series discs .

Lou Reed's DVD DTS 5.1 DD 5.1

Sort of a very close to front stage type of surround. If you like Lou Reed , this one's a no brainer .

20170519_201414.jpg

Finally got this gem:

ZFuu9Bj.jpg

But like with the Midnight Oil dts cd, I had problem ripping the first track that is in 6.1, just pink noise in 2 channels - the rest of the tracks ripped fine in 44.1/16 5.1. Used EAC ripped to flac.

Made it work by using EAC rip to Wav and then Audiomuxer to flac - now the first track is in 6.1!! And strangely the flacs are now in 24 bit?? Like it reads on the dts cd cover??

Is this some kind of upsampling Audiomuxer does - or is it EAC who downsamples to 16 bits?

:mad:@:

Excellent disc - nice mastering level and high DR :banana:

I have a few Ronnie Lane LPs, but I didn't know that one had had a surround release! It must be rare, none on Discogs.

I had a copy for sale here a few months ago. It's worth tracking down. Excellent album and superb mixes.

First time listening to this here album. Boy, I say Boy, it's not only a fine album, it's also a stellar Quad mix. Jordanaires all around Baby! :)

Tammy Wynette & George Jones ‎– We Go Together (SQ)

R-4957788-1455095239-1974.jpeg.jpg

Billy Joel, "The Stranger". This was one of the first albums I bought "with my own money" as a 13-year-old in 1978, and it was the first SACD I bought after I learned of this fascinating world of discrete surround sound.

SO MANY surround mixes later (I have around 300 or so), and listening to this again is like seeing an old friend. I remember the first time I heard those acoustic guitars in the rear speakers on "She's Always A Woman". Just sublime.

I only wish the background vocals on "Just The Way You Are" were placed in the rear speakers. I thought this the first time I heard it and I still feel the same.

And the bass on this album is SO underrated and SO fabulous.

Billy Joel, "The Stranger". This was one of the first albums I bought "with my own money" as a 13-year-old in 1978, and it was the first SACD I bought after I learned of this fascinating world of discrete surround sound.

SO MANY surround mixes later (I have around 300 or so), and listening to this again is like seeing an old friend. I remember the first time I heard those acoustic guitars in the rear speakers on "She's Always A Woman". Just sublime.

I only wish the background vocals on "Just The Way You Are" were placed in the rear speakers. I thought this the first time I heard it and I still feel the same.

And the bass on this album is SO underrated and SO fabulous.

I don't have this disc but I agree - background vocals should always be in the rear speakers. I was listening to Songs In A Minor (A. Keys) tonight and it had some background vocals in the fronts and I thought that just doesn't sound right...they should be in the rears.

E.L.O.- Zoom Live DVD-V... revisited this tonight and sounds fantastic with the rears boosted 4dB (the Zoom songs are cool, but what I really love is all the HITS you get on this one... and discrete surround sound!)

E.L.O.- Zoom Live DVD-V... revisited this tonight and sounds fantastic with the rears boosted 4dB (the Zoom songs are cool, but what I really love is all the HITS you get on this one... and discrete surround sound!)

yup..up there with the best MCH mixes...and lest we forget the gorgeous string section ladies...

I have a few Ronnie Lane LPs, but I didn't know that one had had a surround release! It must be rare, none on Discogs.

One of the , if not the , LAST DVDA'S to come from UMG . After that disc it pretty much died out on Universal . I believe it went OOP early as a result .
Too bad, I was hoping for more of the Townsend solos that Universal and Pete announced for surround . Oh well.

I don't know where to mention as seems to be no specific category on QQ?

an Enhanced CD with 3 tracks mixed in 5.1, in WMA form, accessible when you load the CD up in your PC.

Champions Of Wonder - Oh Astro

its kind of whacked out electronica I guess :eek:

Thanks to Spock's tip on JB HiFi, I was listening to the Who's "Quadrophenia" BR last night.:music The mix much better than the Tommy SACD.

This is top 5 surround recording in my collection. Great mix that brings out in great detail why they were an incredible, incredible band. I have always loved Moons drumming, but this recording is jaw dropping in detailing his excellence. How the heck do that?

I would say that Entwistle's bass does not dominate the mix like in stereo mixes, but this mix lets you hear more of how wonderful his playing was. Last and not least, you can literally smell the tubes in Petes Fender amp. The mix places you in the room with the amp. Of course Pete's playing is amazing. He's been unfairly slagged off as second rate guitarist.

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers -Hypnotic Eye. 5.1 Blu-ray

Great tunes and mix ! Highly recommended.

We could use more of their albums in surround of course. :smokin

20170519_201925.jpg

8IbkiwX.jpg

A prog/metal/rock opera by Ayreon - pretty awesome stuff :smokin

Presented on a blu ray - not the best picture or filming/editing, like with his other surround releases, he is happy with 448 kbps Dolby Digital.

But it's great, exellent performance of a lot of great songs - and a nice surround (very discrete at times) mix, and good fidelty! As usual he has a lot of talented artists with him.

Wow, didn't know this existed!

One of my all-time favorite albums.

Again! :banana:

The_Cars_-_The_Cars.jpg

I can't believe that this mix was created (sounds like Scheiner to me) but never officially released. From everything else I've heard, this is the best professionally done surround mix that's never had an official release. I can't believe it's never been released. It's the best surround 'leak' that I've ever heard in my life. I'd be glad to buy this. :upthumb

Back