Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of all the artist's, GENESIS has released probably the most extensive surround collection of their music. :smokin

" Everything " they ever did in the studio as well as 2 live box sets.

(Surely you know this, Gos ?):rolleyes:

No, guess I don't know this. Or if I've been told, I don't remember that I've been told. I have no clue how I got the disc I have. Bought it used from somewhere....so are all the other discs readily available? Seems I never hear anyone on the forum talking about them or listening to them.

No, guess I don't know this. Or if I've been told, I don't remember that I've been told. I have no clue how I got the disc I have. Bought it used from somewhere....so are all the other discs readily available? Seems I never hear anyone on the forum talking about them or listening to them.

I really thought you were joking when you asked if there were any more Genesis discs in Surround...
Yes, ALL of them have been remixed in Surround (except for the very 1st one which is still owned by Jonathan King...no biggie there, even if you are a die hard fan, they wouldn't have been able to make a decent mix cause it was probably recorded on a four track...)

Well, as usual, there are great news and BAD news...

First, the bad....the box sets are now quite expensive, and all of them were an SACD with the new Stereo and MCH mixes and a separate DVD-V with the mixes in DTS 96/24 (the one to get is "The Lamb" which features the slideshow that was supposed to be projected during the show, that plays along with the songs in their respective order). There are mixed feelings regarding the mixes. I for one, think MOST of them are great- except for "Seconds Out" which omit some historical Phil spoken intros like "Supper's ready", and also had Tony B (the neurotic) almost eradicate Hackett's guitar from the mix, which , BTW, is the WORST of the bunch cause it sounds like faux surround cause there are no discrete elements ANYWHERE on the disc. There is also a public outcry stating that they are TOO BRIGHT, which , yes, they are, but you can always turn down the treble.
Also , on the bad side, we get a "revisionist" mix of Abacab, where they decided to do WITHOUT the gated reverb on the drums (which was Phil's SIGNATURE sound at the time), and no sight of the original mix anywhere..not even as an extra...

THE GOOD-
Most mixes are great and you'll definitely get a kick out of them...and they are still available; but you'd better start saving your pennies cause they ain't cheap!!

HAPPY HUNTING!!!

Underworld Live - Everything Everything (DVD-V Dolby Digital)

Haven't listened to this in a while. Great jams!

This is just one of the five box sets. This is probably their best music time period, all in surround. But like the Kap'n said, they ain't cheap. And this is the North American version which is cd/dvd. The European version would be SACD/DVD.

FWIW There were 3 box sets with all their studio recordings plus xtras all in 5.1. These 3 were also SACD/DVD in Europe.

Also two box sets of Live in 5.1 (no SACD versions of these 2, though)

You may still find separately these studio discs from time to time online. But expect to pay big bucks now.And there are also Japanese SACD/DVD editions, even more pricier though.

https://www.amazon.com/1970-1975-Bo...-albums-bar-strip-0&keywords=genesis+box+sets

prometheus.jpg

Rabih Abou-Khalil - The Cactus Of Knowledge [DVDA] excellent disc, if you like your jazz with an oriental touch, great soundquality, very good surround mix
Friedemann - Echoes Of A Shattered Sky [BRA] sort of jazz, exemplary soundquality and surround mix
Jacques Loussier Trio - The Best Of Play Bach [SACD] I love this disc, surround is more of the immersive kind, but the music is so good...

I really thought you were joking when you asked if there were any more Genesis discs in Surround...
Yes, ALL of them have been remixed in Surround (except for the very 1st one which is still owned by Jonathan King...no biggie there, even if you are a die hard fan, they wouldn't have been able to make a decent mix cause it was probably recorded on a four track...)

First, the bad....the box sets are now quite expensive, and all of them were an SACD with the new Stereo and MCH mixes and a separate DVD-V with the mixes in DTS 96/24 (the one to get is "The Lamb" which features the slideshow that was supposed to be projected during the show, that plays along with the songs in their respective order). There are mixed feelings regarding the mixes. I for one, think MOST of them are great- except for "Seconds Out" which omit some historical Phil spoken intros like "Supper's ready", and also had Tony B (the neurotic) almost eradicate Hackett's guitar from the mix, which , BTW, is the WORST of the bunch cause it sounds like faux surround cause there are no discrete elements ANYWHERE on the disc. There is also a public outcry stating that they are TOO BRIGHT, which , yes, they are, but you can always turn down the treble.
Also , on the bad side, we get a "revisionist" mix of Abacab, where they decided to do WITHOUT the gated reverb on the drums (which was Phil's SIGNATURE sound at the time), and no sight of the original mix anywhere..not even as an extra...

THE GOOD-
Most mixes are great and you'll definitely get a kick out of them...and they are still available; but you'd better start saving your pennies cause they ain't cheap!!

HAPPY HUNTING!!!

King owns Genesis debut? YUCK.

It's been a little while so: Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans.

scaled_full_28555c581f74619c94b1.jpg

This is my 'Friday' so I'm gettin' jiggy :smokin :brew

On Sunday I finally decided to re-alphabetize all of my surround discs. This has needed to be done for quite some time. On Sunday I listened to Relayer and Drums and Wires. Monday it Was Moondance and Together We're Stranger. Today it was The War Of The Worlds. It was cool to go grab things that I don't always go to instead of my usuals. We should all try and go deep into our collections more often. Maybe tomorrow it will be Pere Ubu and Graham Nash. I can't wait to find out. Scott

On Sunday I finally decided to re-alphabetize all of my surround discs. This has needed to be done for quite some time. On Sunday I listened to Relayer and Drums and Wires. Monday it Was Moondance and Together We're Stranger. Today it was The War Of The Worlds. It was cool to go grab things that I don't always go to instead of my usuals. We should all try and go deep into our collections more often. Maybe tomorrow it will be Pere Ubu and Graham Nash. I can't wait to find out. Scott

I agree with your philosophy. While a lot of us are fixated with the latest and greatest in surround discs, there are indeed buried treasures lurking in our collections which we tend to overlook. Since I've improved the sound of my system immensely over the past few years, some of those once~buried chestnuts sound better than ever. Wish I could alphabetize my discs but I'd need to hire an assistant as I have discs all over the place and almost embarrassed to admit that I have doubles of quite a few discs (or in more amenable terms: back~ups).

I FINALLY received my BD~A of Alan Parson's Tales of Mystery and Imagination and all I can say.....it's magnificent. A solid 10 on the Richter scale. Parson proves beyond doubt that he's a master at remixing into 5.1 (or 4.0 for that matter) and I'm sure robust sales of this BD~A will spur him on to remix his entire back catalog (including, I hope, A Valid Path and On Air in FULL hi res].

THE GOOD-

HAPPY HUNTING!!!

The individual discs can be found at reasonable prices if you hunt hard enough. I just recently picked up both "...And Then There Were Three" and "Wind and Wuthering" for under $15 shipped on eBay. In the former case, I was the only one who even bid on it.

I finally gave up on trying to buy the second box set. There were some pressing issues with one of the discs or something and there weren't as many pressed? I remember hearing that I think.

I picked up all the albums at fair prices but likely will never have the bonus disc. :(

Back