Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jumping about. SW TRTRTS Blu-ray (LPCM 96k 24b): Track 2, Drive Home. You can turn this way up no problem must be the mastering. Thought i could but can't stop.

My first listen to Van Morrison's Moondance.....loving the mix, shame the only way to get it is in an expensive 5 disc box set, but prefer that to not having it!

My first listen to Van Morrison's Moondance.....loving the mix, shame the only way to get it is in an expensive 5 disc box set, but prefer that to not having it!

It's amazing to me that this box set never sold out...still available today...although I understand your point about having to buy other discs to get the surround disc...when I bought my first copy I paid $35.00.... which was the total price..including shipping...and I had no regrets...it was released almost 4 years ago...if you haven't checked out the book...go to page 21 and read what Elliot Scheiner wrote...it was his first major project...it was 1969 and he was handed the keys to this job to do the mix without Van being there...Van opted to spend the Christmas holiday in Woodstock with family...the album was recorded on 8 track 1 inch analog tape...then later he was again called upon to take that 8 track master and make it a 5.1 surround...which he did...

I see the prices are around $50 for this box set now...IMO still a bargain for the quality of the surround disc..I've never listened to the other discs that were included...

Van Morrison is often portrayed in the media(especially Rolling Stone Magazine)as a crusty bad tempered man....but I feel that assessment is wrong...he just has a long memory when it comes to the record company...it was common in those early days for record companies to have all the leverage...and they used it against the artists....many artists were screwed financially...and now the record company wanted Van to put on a happy face when it came to re-issues...and he refused...when approached about the Moondance surround box set he told the record company to forget about it...this was the same record company that didn't release the title song(Moondance)in the US for 7 years because they didn't think it was good...FM radio stations played Moondance and was the major reason the record label finally released it as a single..

When I'm in the Mood for some Van I go to this surround disc or grab the Last Waltz blu ray....I hear that surround disc calling me now...time for VAN the MAN:spot

In case somebody out there doesn't have this set...treat yourself to some fine surround music HERE

It's amazing to me that this box set never sold out...still available today...although I understand your point about having to buy other discs to get the surround disc...when I bought my first copy I paid $35.00.... which was the total price..including shipping...and I had no regrets...it was released almost 4 years ago...if you haven't checked out the book...go to page 21 and read what Elliot Scheiner wrote...it was his first major project...it was 1969 and he was handed the keys to this job to do the mix without Van being there...Van opted to spend the Christmas holiday in Woodstock with family...the album was recorded on 8 track 1 inch analog tape...then later he was again called upon to take that 8 track master and make it a 5.1 surround...which he did...

I see the prices are around $50 for this box set now...IMO still a bargain for the quality of the surround disc..I've never listened to the other discs that were included...

Van Morrison is often portrayed in the media(especially Rolling Stone Magazine)as a crusty bad tempered man....but I feel that assessment is wrong...he just has a long memory when it comes to the record company...it was common in those early days for record companies to have all the leverage...and they used it against the artists....many artists were screwed financially...and now the record company wanted Van to put on a happy face when it came to re-issues...and he refused...when approached about the Moondance surround box set he told the record company to forget about it...this was the same record company that didn't release the title song(Moondance)in the US for 7 years because they didn't think it was good...FM radio stations played Moondance and was the major reason the record label finally released it as a single..

When I'm in the Mood for some Van I go to this surround disc or grab the Last Waltz blu ray....I hear that surround disc calling me now...time for VAN the MAN:spot

In case somebody out there doesn't have this set...treat yourself to some fine surround music HERE

Wow, some interesting background, Clint.

I was aware that many 70's artists were screwed by the almighty record conglomerates but the fact that they didn't release [gulp!] Moondance as a single for seven years was absolute tone deafness on the part of Warners. No wonder Van was royally pissed.

And I'm in total agreement that this BD~A is astonishing and what better remixing engineer than Elliot Scheiner to do total justice to this masterpiece..

Really wish we COULD get more Van in 5.1.......the clock IS ticking!

Last night I fired up my OPPO 105 BD player and spun the astonishing Fantasy Film World of Bernard Hermann which was, eh, released as a 4.0 BD~A From HDTT tracks. This is an exceptional transfer, as good as anything from Dutton Vocalion and if you never heard this Decca Phase Four masterpiece, you're in for a rare treat....as it's incredibly discrete and has some of Hermann's finest scores for motion picture fantasy films with some amazing sound effects:

https://www.highdeftapetransfers.co...ts/the-fantasy-film-world-of-bernard-herrmann

Paul Simon -You're The One DVDA 88.2/24

Mostly "quad like mix" and an underated album, but I think it's quite good .
i just got this disc the other day and played it yesterday for the first time. While it doesn't seem a surround standout (the surrounds softly mirror the fronts minus the vocal with little going on in the center), the fidelity is excellent and I also like the content. I will have to listen again to get a better idea of how well the channels are used.

Aerosmith Toys in the Attic SACD (88.2 kHz PCM): Bump them surrounds up a bit and there you go. Hey just saw the Blue Angels through the window, they're almost as loud as me.

two against nature STEELY DAN'S Plush TV Jazz-Rock Party in Sensuous Surround Sound DTS 5.1 48k, you get a few of the older ones too and they're good. WB:(

Bob Marley - Legend Blu-Ray [Dolby True HD 5.1 Mix]

IMG_0325.jpg

Best find in a while: Lou Reed at Montreux 2000 mixed by 2 of Queens audio Engineers, Justin Shirley-Smith and David Richards. Justin started his career at Mountain Studios in 1984 as assistant to David Richards - and then progressed to recording engineer for many artists including Chris Rea, David Bowie, Freddie Mercury, Queen, Robert Plant, Roger Taylor and Tin Machine. This included working on the original Queen album sessions for ‘The Miracle’, ‘Innuendo’ and ‘Made In Heaven’ albums - plus solo sessions such as ‘Strange Frontier’, ‘Shove It’, ‘Mad Bad and Dangerous To Know’ and ‘Barcelona’. From 1991, Justin has been working in UK almost exclusively for Brian May and Queen as their senior engineer/co-producer on Brian’s solo work and numerous Queen projects.

As a surround mix it is powerful, outstanding and riveting. There was nothing I could put on afterwards to come close to the sonic heaven I enjoyed. I am going to read now. Hope you can hear that drum kit spread across the rears. A 10+++

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Best find in a while: Lou Reed at Montreux 2000 mixed by 2 of Queens audio Engineers, Justin Shirley-Smith and David Richards. Justin started his career at Mountain Studios in 1984 as assistant to David Richards - and then progressed to recording engineer for many artists including Chris Rea, David Bowie, Freddie Mercury, Queen, Robert Plant, Roger Taylor and Tin Machine. This included working on the original Queen album sessions for ‘The Miracle’, ‘Innuendo’ and ‘Made In Heaven’ albums - plus solo sessions such as ‘Strange Frontier’, ‘Shove It’, ‘Mad Bad and Dangerous To Know’ and ‘Barcelona’. From 1991, Justin has been working in UK almost exclusively for Brian May and Queen as their senior engineer/co-producer on Brian’s solo work and numerous Queen projects.

As a surround mix it is powerful, outstanding and riveting. There was nothing I could put on afterwards to come close to the sonic heaven I enjoyed. I am going to read now. Hope you can hear that drum kit spread across the rears. A 10+++

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that a DVD or blu-ray?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back