Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't mind another side track, you might like Rossini's Overtures conducted by Neville Marriner (who passed away last October). The disc has some fun, light orchestral pieces that are beautifully performed. The Quad recording isn't wildly discrete but has a nice immersive quality. Definitely worth exploring IMHO.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/9051861060?ref_=mw_olp_product_details

While we're on the subject of Rossini....two lovely BD~A discs from Naxos in 5.1: http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=9422 AND http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=9423

Mostly ambience in the rears but well worth seeking out and fairly bargain priced as they're both very ample BD~As [in terms of playing times].

OK, now you've done it. Forced me to buy six classical titles based on the recommendations above. :D:D:D

If you don't mind another side track, you might like Rossini's Overtures conducted by Neville Marriner (who passed away last October). The disc has some fun, light orchestral pieces that are beautifully performed. The Quad recording isn't wildly discrete but has a nice immersive quality. Definitely worth exploring IMHO.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/9051861060?ref_=mw_olp_product_details

xUBOZxp.jpg

Listening to Tour de France on the Tour de France album - because we are in the middle of Tour de France :confused:

Will Froome do it again?

Anyway - 11 channel discreteness is awesome :smokin

I believe I read somewhere that Kraftwerk held a concert in Düsseldorf on the day of the start of the first stage? Bet they played Tour de France :smokin

Hmmm. Might have to try a boost to the rears next time I view this. I've even thought about selling this one, cause the mix is just meh.

I think it is an awesome production, it sounds great, adding 3 dB to the rears makes the rears almost as loud as the fronts - and there are a lot of discrete elements in all channels.

If you have a Yamaha receiver/prossessor you can assign a button on the remote to give you +3 dB to the rears.

I think it is an awesome production, it sounds great, adding 3 dB to the rears makes the rears almost as loud as the fronts - and there are a lot of discrete elements in all channels.

If you have a Yamaha receiver/prossessor you can assign a button on the remote to give you +3 dB to the rears.

I have a pioneer elite. I'll check to see if there is some setting like that. It would come in handy quite often for tame mixes.

I have a pioneer elite. I'll check to see if there is some setting like that. It would come in handy quite often for tame mixes.

I use it all the time - on the Yamaha it is by programming the "Scene" buttons by choosing different speaker level setups.

I love the Pioneer Elite models, I still have the 2007 top Pioneer Elite model, in Europe it was called VSX-LX70 (VSX-94TXH in the U.S.) - enjoyed it for many years. Now it is stored in the cellar. Moved on to Yamaha AVR - because it was a better performer on music. But the Pioneer was a better movie surround performer and a lot more powerful, and had a much better separation on DPLII.

Now I am using a Yamaha prossessor with separate amps and have the better of both worlds. But still miss the DPLII separation from Pioneer.

Edit: Another thing I have discovered after owning Yamaha AVR's - is that you can go in and adjust sound parameters (on each speaker) after you have run the automatic-setup. You have a parametric equalizer with multiple bands to "polish" the auto-setup. Probably the best feature in any AVR.

First listen to Grover Washington Jnr Winelight which I recently acquired... sounding pretty darned good and a great way to relax at the end of the week :chill

'Nuff said. Why have I never sought out this DVD then? I've heard the CD a billion times.

It's a very nice intimate concert, with Dave Grohl shearing generously his wisdom between songs :smokin

Only Dolby Digital - but mr Scheiner makes it sound great.

Another Scheiner mix:

MNliwgf.jpg

Watching on 106" and listening with dsu enganging 7.1.4 Atmos setup - excellent :banana:

The setting is so nice, wished I had been there :)

Yesterday listened to Sgt Pepper for the second time and still enjoyed it. Found time to also listen to Aqualung and A Space In Time. Tonight it has been Nick Cave with Tender Prey & The Good Son.

Back