Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gong "Rejoice! I'm Dead" DVD-A - Uh, nice mix and fidelity, but if this is representative of most Gong albums, I'm not sure if I'll be purchasing any others...

One thing to keep in mind is that even though Gong has been around since the early 1970s, this album is basically the album of a new band as all members who made this album joined the group sometime between 2007 and 2014.
I don't really know much of Gong's other music, so I'm not sure how this album fits in with everything else in their discography.

Joachim Kühn - Europeana (SACD) I'm not that much into jazz (guess I'm too simple minded to understand the complex musicality of it), but this one is pretty easy to get: different european folk tunes in an orchestral suite with some well known jazz-musicians. Ptretty good surround-mix as well.
Bartman - Kaaf (BRA) Pinkfloydish music, good sound, good surround mix. As a bonus you get the last three Bartman records as well...
Love and Rockets - Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven (BRA)

My aunt played the pipe organ in my church for over 60 years. I would sit right between the pipes when singing. She knew I liked the low end so whenever she would push the pedals with her bare feet she would look at me and give me a little smile. She would shut it down when the priest would say his sermon and when finished she would flip a switch to start the huge compressor and suddenly the floor would start to vibrate and I could actually feel the air move. That organ is now converted to some sort of electronic gizmo. Does not sound the same. The pipes were left in place, probably for looks. Just not the same anymore.

That's a nice story, Philip. Thanks for sharing it! What a wonderful experience and memory of your aunt for you. It's a shame that they changed to an electronic one. The Aeolian organ at Duke Chapel fortunately got better treatment and was recently stored.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/durham-county/article77061622.html

PentaTone released a good SACD of a performance on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Aeolian-Orga...8&qid=1490020441&sr=8-1&keywords=SACD+aeolian

One thing to keep in mind is that even though Gong has been around since the early 1970s, this album is basically the album of a new band as all members who made this album joined the group sometime between 2007 and 2014.
I don't really know much of Gong's other music, so I'm not sure how this album fits in with everything else in their discography.

Oh ? I thought Daevid Allen was on a track or two ?

sting_zpsi9kdatn8.jpg

King Crimson - ToaPP
CrimsonTOAPP.jpg

Magenta - Seven
seven.jpg

Magenta are based relatively close to me in Cardiff (Wales) and I've seen 'em live a few times now, I'm gonna miss them :( on the 31st of this month though as I will be sailing right past Cardiff on the M4 motorway and on to Bristol to see Grandaddy :D

I'll get to see Magenta one day! I've always been somewhere else when they've played, and I saw the Cardiff gig and thought I can get to that, but I'll be landing at Heathrow about the time they'll be coming off stage :( C'est la vie.......

King Crimson - ToaPP
CrimsonTOAPP.jpg

Magenta - Seven
seven.jpg

Magenta are based relatively close to me in Cardiff (Wales) and I've seen 'em live a few times now, I'm gonna miss them :( on the 31st of this month though as I will be sailing right past Cardiff on the M4 motorway and on to Bristol to see Grandaddy :D

Billy Cobham - Spectrum (AF SACD)

Of all the Quad SACDs that AF released, this is definitely my favorite. Absolutely fabulous!!

Pure Quad Heaven.

Thank you so much, AF!!! :wave:wave

First off, I'd like to apologize for the other day. For some reason, every time I get slightly too drunk, someone seems to sneak into my house and start posting gibberish. :eek:

Secondly, listening to now:

4327_large.jpg

One of my very first blu-ray purchases from about 8 years ago, and still one of my favorites. :)

Adriana Hölszky: Karawane, Vampirabile, Klaviatur der Mythen

Ensemble V.Act
Percussion Ensemble Stuttgart
Stuttgarter Philharmoniker

Aggressive surround mix. :sun

Adriana Hölszky: Karawane, Vampirabile, Klaviatur der Mythen

Ensemble V.Act
Percussion Ensemble Stuttgart
Stuttgarter Philharmoniker

Aggressive surround mix. :sun

So how is the music, Brett? Is it melodic? I have my eye on one at AmazonUS but will ONLY purchase if you bestow your absolute 'crack the whip' blessings on this title.

As for me, Brett, I'm currently listening to the fantastic, discrete, MLP DVD~A 5.1 of Djabe's 'Witchi Tai To," one of six DJABE MLP DVD~As I received from Hungary today. If you are not familiar with their stellar output, you should be. Crack the Whip GREAT! And cheap o ta ta, 2! http://djabe.hu/en/diszkografia/

So how is the music, Brett? Is it melodic? I have my eye on one at AmazonUS but will ONLY purchase if you bestow your absolute 'crack the whip' blessings on this title.

It is NOT melodic. But it will give your surround system a nice workout.

It's abstract, experimental music for percussion, strings and (sometimes) voices.

I couldn't find the exact music on YouTube but here is something similar (without the narration of course).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TeCdCL7aEws

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5RJtsqbgAaY

Back