Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks a million, fizzy!

Country-fried music in surround looks finger lickin' good. (Sorry...I couldn't resist. LOL! :ugham:)

I'll definitely be checking them out. Have a good weekend! :sun

I saw the lovely Neko Case live at the wonderful acoustically resplendent Tarrytown Music Hall [an OLD wooden structure] in Tarrytown, NY. She was MARVELOUS. She even autographed my CD.

At the countryfied rate you're going, Brett, when are you going to saddle up and ride, cowboy style, through the streets of Tokyo?:yikes

HAPPY TRAILS

I saw the lovely Neko Case live at the wonderful acoustically resplendent Tarrytown Music Hall [an OLD wooden structure] in Tarrytown, NY. She was MARVELOUS. She even autographed my CD.

At the countryfied rate you're going, Brett, when are you going to saddle up and ride, cowboy style, through the streets of Tokyo?:yikes

HAPPY TRAILS

Wish I could have joined you to that marvelous concert, Ralph.

Well now, I'm listening to the Vince Gill - high lonesome sound (SACD) that I just picked up today. First impressions are good, especially for "new" country. Like a lot of country music these days, it has a lot of Pop/Rock influences. But there is a nice variety of songs from rockabilly to soft, new wavish ballades to blues guitar. Sonics are a little bright (with some compression?). I believe this album was originally released in 1996. The surround mix is good, though. Mark might want to consider this one...at least give the music an audition on the net.

Time to kick up those heels. Now, where did I put my Stetson? :spot

Fellas, don't be disappointed that this is a BD~V with 2 RBCDs [The Stones: Havana Moon], but I had to share this incredible concert with you. It was filmed at Havana's Ciudad Deportiva in March 2016 and even though I've seen the Stones several times over the years, this concert REALLY updated their classics and the band was on FIRE:flame

For 70 year old rockers, they really brought down the house. The sonics are amazing with audio mix by Bob Clearmountain [I played it at 80 db at 2 AM] "You Can't Always Get What You Want" is STUNNING!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Rolling-Stones-Havana-Moon-Blu-ray/165169/#Review

The Stones are living proof that age is just a number. More power to them. :banana:

Now I'm back to Country Classics (DVD-A) Blanket on the Ground with Billie Jo Spears. :cool:

.......Well now, I'm listening to the Vince Gill - high lonesome sound (SACD) that I just picked up today. First impressions are good, especially for "new" country. Like a lot of country music these days, it has a lot of Pop/Rock influences. But there is a nice variety of songs from rockabilly to soft, new wavish ballades to blues guitar. Sonics are a little bright (with some compression?). I believe this album was originally released in 1996. The surround mix is good, though. Mark might want to consider this one...at least give the music an audition on the net.

Hi Lute. You mentioned some compression on the SACD. Does this show up in Gill's voice as a resonance or lack of clarity? I have this symptom with the DTS-CD and I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to trade up to the DVD-Audio or SACD. It could also be my system has a heretofore hidden anomaly at his vocal frequency.

Thanks,
Steve

Received another blu ray concert from Schiller: Symphonia. A beautifully filmed outdoor concert in Berlin. This time including a symphonic orchestra. It is less discrete than Atemlos Live, but has great fidelty and a big immersive soundstage - that really comes alive with a surround dsp engaged. It's studio quality.

I like the movie picture format - 16x9 is not my favourite.

Mostly instrumental music with symphonic support, but like Atemlos Live - some songs include guest vocalists - like Midge Ure (who also was on Atemlos Live) - which is of course awesome :smokin

symphonia_zpsjja85gv7.jpg

Wish I could have joined you to that marvelous concert, Ralph.

Well now, I'm listening to the Vince Gill - high lonesome sound (SACD) that I just picked up today. First impressions are good, especially for "new" country. Like a lot of country music these days, it has a lot of Pop/Rock influences. But there is a nice variety of songs from rockabilly to soft, new wavish ballades to blues guitar. Sonics are a little bright (with some compression?). I believe this album was originally released in 1996. The surround mix is good, though. Mark might want to consider this one...at least give the music an audition on the net.

I just got the Vince Gill used at $53.00, but he is a guitar players, guitar player.
http://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=2189

It was not only Symphonia that found its way in my mailbox the other day - Schiller: Zeitreise on blu ray got there too. A 2016 blu ray release. This is awesome - fully discrete - from time to time we are talking "Aero" territory here. Great fidelty like the other Schiller discs, great bass.

zeit_zpsonkwy2jx.jpg

Still got "Sonne" on the way - can't wait :smokin

I love these Schiller blu rays.

Fellas, don't be disappointed that this is a BD~V with 2 RBCDs [The Stones: Havana Moon], but I had to share this incredible concert with you. It was filmed at Havana's Ciudad Deportiva in March 2016 and even though I've seen the Stones several times over the years, this concert REALLY updated their classics and the band was on FIRE:flame

For 70 year old rockers, they really brought down the house. The sonics are amazing with audio mix by Bob Clearmountain [I played it at 80 db at 2 AM] "You Can't Always Get What You Want" is STUNNING!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Rolling-Stones-Havana-Moon-Blu-ray/165169/#Review

I have a few Stones dvd's. What is the Surround like ? I ask because my concert's (Stones) are pretty tame in the rear channels.
Appreciate your comment. :sun

"Supper's Ready" from Genesis-Foxtrot sacd/dvd. My player has no problem playing the PAL DVD.

Very proggy disc and at 23 + mins., Supper is incredible in surround. (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) :51banana:

20170217_202704.jpg20170217_210055.jpg

Hi Lute. You mentioned some compression on the SACD. Does this show up in Gill's voice as a resonance or lack of clarity? I have this symptom with the DTS-CD and I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to trade up to the DVD-Audio or SACD. It could also be my system has a heretofore hidden anomaly at his vocal frequency.

Thanks,
Steve

I think the issue you're having with his voice on the DTS-CD is also present on the SACD. So, I'm not sure it's worth a pricey upgrade. Also, about the compression in general, the recording is a bit loud and bright, for example track 7 Given More Time. It's not awful, though...and I need some more listenings to form a more balanced opinion about the music. On a positive note, I do appreciate Chuck Ainlay's efforts to put together an immersive 5.1 mix with some discrete parts.

Brett

I think the issue you're having with his voice on the DTS-CD is also present on the SACD. So, I'm not sure it's worth a pricey upgrade. Also, about the compression in general, the recording is a bit loud and bright, for example track 7 Given More Time. It's not awful, though...and I need some more listenings to form a more balanced opinion about the music. On a positive note, I do appreciate Chuck Ainlay's efforts to put together an immersive 5.1 mix with some discrete parts.

Brett

Thanks Brett.

You saved me the effort/cost of trading up. I too like the immersive mix. The musical performance quality is high, and non-vocal sonics are decent. I guess not everything can be a 10 :)

I have a few Stones dvd's. What is the Surround like ? I ask because my concert's (Stones) are pretty tame in the rear channels.
Appreciate your comment. :sun

Likewise, Havana Moon is pretty tame in the surround department [mostly audience/ambience in rears] although on some of the sing~a~long tracks, you can hear the audience distinctly in the rear singing along. Mick's voice is a bit recessed but played at a louder than normal volume, everything falls into perfect place.

All in all, VERY HIGHLY recommended, especially if you're a diehard STONES fan like myself. The musicianship and soloing is EXTRAORDINARY. Richards and Wood KICK ASS, big time!

Back