Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claude Debussy: Starry Night (BD-A)

Préludes Book I & other works

Michael Lewin (piano)

Only one piano, but fully immersive, gorgeous surround sound.

b1a7cc83-9d29-4a24-b6ca-dc7235d7b498.jpg

I'm a drummer and a man who likes his bass, but the title track of this album has almost silly amounts of bass drum. I have to turn my subs down considerably on just this first track, which is almost unheard of for me cause I like'a da bass, but Good Lord! :yikes

Claude Debussy: Starry Night (BD-A)

Préludes Book I & other works

Michael Lewin (piano)

Only one piano, but fully immersive, gorgeous surround sound.

I am so sorry sir:

[video=youtube;UKO-ebWS4Ko]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKO-ebWS4Ko[/video]

Pure Prairie League "Two Lane Highway" DV SACD... FANTASTIC! I love this type of discrete mix... drums, base, lead vocals and some main instruments up front; discrete instruments in each rear channel (keyboard, guitar, mandolin, fiddle or slide guitar); background vocals discrete in the rears. Great music... country rock leaning to the country side... if you like the Eagles, you'd probably dig this (heck, Don Felder plays mandolin!) And FINALLY a TRAIN song in surround ("Kansas City Southern"... I'm a Lionel guy). Mix and fidelity isn't quite as good on "If The Shoe Fits", but still really nice... oh, and it's a BONUS ALBUM!! Gotta love the twofer:banana:

Pure Prairie League "Two Lane Highway" DV SACD... FANTASTIC! I love this type of discrete mix... drums, base, lead vocals and some main instruments up front; discrete instruments in each rear channel (keyboard, guitar, mandolin, fiddle or slide guitar); background vocals discrete in the rears. Great music... country rock leaning to the country side... if you like the Eagles, you'd probably dig this (heck, Don Felder plays mandolin!) And FINALLY a TRAIN song in surround ("Kansas City Southern"... I'm a Lionel guy). Mix and fidelity isn't quite as good on "If The Shoe Fits", but still really nice... oh, and it's a BONUS ALBUM!! Gotta love the twofer:banana:

I've been curious about the Dutton-Vocalion series, but funds are very tight, so I've refrained from purchasing any. This one sounds like it could be worth it.
Really don't like "uber quad" (drums in a corner, bass in a corner). Is this one the most worth checking out or maybe some other? I like Eagles just fine.

I've been curious about the Dutton-Vocalion series, but funds are very tight, so I've refrained from purchasing any. This one sounds like it could be worth it.
Really don't like "uber quad" (drums in a corner, bass in a corner). Is this one the most worth checking out or maybe some other? I like Eagles just fine.

I think it's a great mix for the first album alone... drums are spread across the fronts. Listening to Musicmagic right now... I would also recommend this one; I'm not sure quite how to describe the tunes... you should check out samples; the mix is uber discrete with all the drums in one speaker... and yet it really sounds great! (I usually don't like drums in a corner either)

edit: honestly, I recommend the Musicmagic more than the Prairie League... it's like some kind of funky prog rock jazz thing; completely unique!

Natalie Merchant "Tigerlily" DVD-A. Yuck. Terrible surround mix. Wasted opportunity. Fantastic music that could have been extraordinary in surround. I'm done with this one.

Natalie Merchant "Tigerlily" DVD-A. Yuck. Terrible surround mix. Wasted opportunity. Fantastic music that could have been extraordinary in surround. I'm done with this one.

Whoa, Nelly, my friend! It's not Yoshimi-discrete, no, but fairly passable, IMO. Superb sonics, even though the surround is tame. It's 8+ in the polls! Maybe give it another chance? Or ebay it and make a buddy happy! :mad:@:(y):confused:

Whoa, Nelly, my friend! It's not Yoshimi-discrete, no, but fairly passable, IMO. Superb sonics, even though the surround is tame. It's 8+ in the polls! Maybe give it another chance? Or ebay it and make a buddy happy! :mad:@:(y):confused:

Alright, to be fair I skipped to my 3 favorite songs (the hits)... maybe I'll check out the rest...
there's just so little listening time to waste it on anything less than discrete!

Back