Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robert Plant “Nine Lives” DVD (5.1 DTS) from the box set.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171019/0f97308a8a71724f19eec6c5ac62f0a5.jpeg[/IMG

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171019/9fa97f4d8ea3820c7c7137382d19e4cd.jpeg

Took awhile to pull the trigger on this, hoping for a used copy but Amazon’s price for New was best. Mix wise - fun videos -discrete/ambient/double stereo. Still very happy with the purchase - great package, content and fidelity.

Elmer,

How many tunes/videos on that box set do you get with DTS ?

Mirror Image - Blood, Sweat & Tears (Q8)

still one of my absolute favourite Quad mixes from the last few years of discovering cool new surround stuff on old Quad records (and now tapes)

Zm147FR.jpg

Really ?

Don't remember that disc being too spectacular music wise . Will have to listen up to my SQ lp, thanks frederico.(y)

Mike Oldfield-Hergest Ridge. DVD DD 5.1

Very interesting liner notes, btw. He says when he mixed the 76 quad SQ album.... that ever more became the version he went with replacing the stereo mix from 74.
That means ALL LPS and CD'S released after 76 were the quad SQ versions. Not unheard of but that's a rather large window of secret quad editions.

Ended with this 2010 remix, though. Always liked the mellow sound of this album, fwiw.

20171016_183507.jpg

Tom Petty Live at the Olympic. Tom and the boys perform the entire “Last DJ” CD with what looks like a 40 piece orchestra. The DTS and DD are both utilized efficiently across all speakers.

The performances by all are exquisite. Because this is what is commonly called a lessor work in the Petty marketplace we will likely never get a Blu Ray version. TPATHB Perform a 6 song encore and the DVD comes with a CD with 4 tracks from the Soundstage recording. The album and concert closer “Can’t stop the Sun” is ferocious. An A+ combination of sound, picture, and performance.
eb32547ee1dcf460d978b3aa79976550.jpeg
880c264933366d5063606105a768dcfa.jpeg

https://youtu.be/KPh_LdjoURw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ian Cooke - The Flight I Flew 5.1 DTS DVD- This is gorgeous; the music is really interesting... reminds me a bit of The Beatles psychedelic era in terms of the varied instrumentation with a pop sensibility. The mix is very discrete... I like the music and mix better than Antiquasauria (which I also really enjoy!). Great deal for an excellent surround album... recommended!

Elmer,

How many tunes/videos on that box set do you get with DTS ?

20 tracks not including the documentary. Original 4:3 screen image DTS/Dolby 5.1 options
Nine Lives (DVD)

"Nine Lives" (Documentary)
"Burning Down One Side" (Video)
"Big Log" (Video)
"In the Mood" (Video)
"Rockin' at Midnight" (Video)
"Sea of Love" (Video)
"Little by Little" (Video)
"Pink and Black" (Video)
"Heaven Knows" (Video)
"Tall Cool One" (Video)
"Ship of Fools" (Video)
"Hurting Kind (I've Got My Eyes on You)" (Video)
"Nirvana" (Video)
"Tie Dye on the Highway" (Video)
"29 Palms" (Video)
"Calling To You" (Video)
"If I Were a Carpenter" (Video)
"I Believe" (Video)
"Morning Dew" (Video)
"Darkness, Darkness" (Video)
"Shine It All Around" (Video)

Really ?

Don't remember that disc being too spectacular music wise . Will have to listen up to my SQ lp, thanks frederico.(y)

well its always a v.personal thing isn't it, you may not dig it musically the same way but i love it, its funky with a capital F! the quality of the surround sound is high.. the 10+ minute Mirror Image suite that takes up most of Side 2 is epic!

20 tracks not including the documentary. Original 4:3 screen image DTS/Dolby 5.1 options
Nine Lives (DVD)

"Nine Lives" (Documentary)
"Burning Down One Side" (Video)
"Big Log" (Video)
"In the Mood" (Video)
"Rockin' at Midnight" (Video)
"Sea of Love" (Video)
"Little by Little" (Video)
"Pink and Black" (Video)
"Heaven Knows" (Video)
"Tall Cool One" (Video)
"Ship of Fools" (Video)
"Hurting Kind (I've Got My Eyes on You)" (Video)
"Nirvana" (Video)
"Tie Dye on the Highway" (Video)
"29 Palms" (Video)
"Calling To You" (Video)
"If I Were a Carpenter" (Video)
"I Believe" (Video)
"Morning Dew" (Video)
"Darkness, Darkness" (Video)
"Shine It All Around" (Video)

thanks for the info., i saw earlier you said the surround of the videos was discrete/ambient/double stereo, what proportion of the surround mixes are discrete would you say and are the better known tracks such as Big Log, Little By Little discrete?

Ian Cooke - The Flight I Flew 5.1 DTS DVD- This is gorgeous; the music is really interesting... reminds me a bit of The Beatles psychedelic era in terms of the varied instrumentation with a pop sensibility. The mix is very discrete... I like the music and mix better than Antiquasauria (which I also really enjoy!). Great deal for an excellent surround album... recommended!

You may already be aware of it, but if not, also check out The Fall I Fell. To me, The Flight I Flew is very similar, but builds on it a little. If you like the one, you ought to enjoy the other.

Depeche Mode Sounds of The Universe CD+DVD, DTS 5.1 48k: the intro to In Chains always does a good job of setting the mood and it gets better. Excellent use of the surrounds, nice sprinkling of effects electronic and voice. Vocals strong across fronts and center and you even get drums center channel at times. Keeps the subwoofer warm. I'd probably listen to this more often given the time. Oh and the Wrong video is a bit of dark fun.

End of the Innocence.... DTS CD..... Bought for my wife (big Eagles and Henley, Frey fan).
Just received it, NM find. 35.00 shipped. ..... Deals are still out there they pop up occasionally.

Back