Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New in the mailbox to day:

iv2hetA.jpg

It sounds like the numbers tell you - excellent, DR from 14-18 :banana::banana:

I love those songs :smokin

Waylon Jennings ‎– Lonesome, On'ry & Mean (Q8)

One of my very favourite Quad mix. Some tracks feature as many as five guitar players. Great album with some fantastic songs are amazing guitar playing. Freedom To Stay and Pretend I Never Happened are beautiful songs.

FWIW Waylon has a concert--Austin City Limits available .

No doubt a great performance , not sure what the dts dvd is like though. Saw it available as a cd/dvd for a half decent price locally approx 3 yrs. ago . (Shoulda picked it up !! :rolleyes: )

-regrets, fizzy

Simon

How's that like Namlook and in a way ? Any comparisons ? Electronic comparisons ?

Pete has released many collaborations over the years and this one is a really smooth and quiet Ambient album. Synth pads mostly with simple melodies. No major arpeggiator workouts (I love those though). You'll be hearing it for yourself soon, so you'll be able to post your thoughts on it here... ;)

I really like "Radical Action", although the person who mixed it , either had a "flawed setup" or has a different definition of "Surround" cause they had to tweak the rears (jack them up) for this release to make it sound ..."normal"...I DO agree with his POV of mixing the drums all around you, which is the opposite to Jakko's (which is make them all ONE kit, but that was only in Stereo, haven't heard any of his mixes from the 3 drumset monster in MCH, though)

I LOVE the live concert video on RADICAL ACTION -- and this from someone who really lost interest in KC after RED. Great video with matching surround that nicely fits!

That said, I'll deduct a point for the glaring distraction of the flute player Mel's obvious wig 8'). But we luv ya still, Mel ;)

Quads by Mountain and West, Bruce, and Laing

Bob D'Orleans did the Mountain's and Don Young the West, Bruce, and Laing's kinda like Don Young's quad mixes a bit better. :D

20170617_170319.jpg20170617_170354.jpg

DTS-HDS , Brad Miller' s dts cd outfit was persuing a Mountain title for release on DTS CD ! I wonder which one though ?

Woulda been boss to get . :D

Quads by Mountain and West, Bruce, and Laing

Bob D'Orleans did the Mountain's and Don Young the West, Bruce, and Laing's kinda like Don Young's quad mixes a bit better. :D

View attachment 29754View attachment 29755

DTS-HDS , Brad Miller' s dts cd outfit was persuing a Mountain title for release on DTS CD ! I wonder which one though ?

Woulda been boss to get . :D

Don Young is or rather was (RIP) DA MAN!
he was Columbia's go to Rock Quad mixer (and 2nd only to Larry Keyes in the CBS Quad engineering stakes in my eyes!) he did so many great Quads incl Poco's Cantamos (i bet he did the superb Seven mix as well but sadly uncredited), the REO Speedwagons, Rick Derringers All American Boy, Bob Dylan's Desire, EWF Head To The Sky, Dave Mason, the Jeff Beck Groups, the Mac Davis's, the Janis Ians, the Johnny Winters, the Edgar Winter Groups, the Billy Joels..

Jimmy Witherspoon ‎– Love Is A Five Letter Word (Q8)

Great mix all around with a nice present bass sound. The only thing that some may dislike is the fact that the drums are mostly spread out between LF and LR with the bass drum in FR. Background vocals are mostly in the rears. The music is a top notch mix of Soul/Blues with a light taste of Funk.

Highly recommended! (y)

First listen to the 5.1 Surround Sound SACD of "Heathen" by David Bowie.
If the first track ("Sunday") is any indication, this will be a magnificent disc!

:)

Genesis-Seconds Out. DVD 5.1

One of their best live albums (sans Peter ) And a very good surround mix . Phil Collins vocals in top form .

View attachment 29759

I love this DVD but I have several peeves...first, it's not discrete, you can not pinpoint instruments-don't know how they did it though; then they cut out the spoken "Supper's Ready" by Phil before the song, and most annoyingly, f*ckin' Tony "nEurotic" Banks finally managed to "mix out" Steve's haunting gtr in IKWIL and other songs to almost inaudible levels....

Back