Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stone Temple Pilots STP DVD Audio 5.1 MLP 96k 24b; It has it's surround moments but is it an outstanding surround disc? Maybe not but if you dig the disc it sounds great and offers a better than stereo experience. I like it, yeah.

The Contemporary Fortepiano - the newest DSD Stereo & Surround Sound release from Just Listen.
Features Herbie Hancock's "Butterfly" and 14 original compositions.

JL006.jpg

A Top 10 DSD Best Seller!

The trio's music is driven by content rather than virtuosity. Their music invariably carries an artistic message, inspired by their world travels. This gives the album an additional dimension. The trio integrates elements of Arabic music into a new concept, seamlessly connecting East and West. They form a unique-sounding trio, whose subtle style is its own trademark.

The Contemporary Fortepiano was recorded in Stereo and Multichannel DSD 256fs. The album is available in DSD exclusively at the NativeDSD music store in Stereo and Multichannel DSD 256, DSD 128, DSD 64 and DXD. This is a DSD Exclusive release, not available on SACD.

Co-Producer Jonas Sacks talks about recording the album on a brief video (linked below) and on the NativeDSD Blog noting "The decor of this recording is the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Groningen in the Netherlands. It is over 300 hundred years old. The acoustics of the space fit these instruments perfectly, and that is why we chose it for this recording. We used Bruel & Kjaer (B&K) 4006, Schoeps Mikrofone and Neumann microphones.

The musicians sat in a circular setup, with the violone (Tony Overwater) seated behind the main microphone system to deliver an excellent Stereo and Surround Sound performance. The mics were outfitted with Van den Hul carbon fiber cables, that ran to an analog mixing board from Rens Heijnis custom-built audio equipment. The mixed signal then went to the Horus Analog to DSD 256 converter, made by Merging Technologies. All microphones were also stored separately, in case any balance needed to be adjusted in post-production (which we did, just a tiny bit, on particular parts)."

https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/JL006-the-contemporary-fortepiano
http://blog.nativedsd.com/period-instruments-with-modern-flavours/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8O317J9jx4

Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere.. (DVD). It's been years since i listened to this and I forgot how good it is. My Marantz upscales to 4k quite good the DVD image and taking into account the video source limitation, I don't think the Blu-ray will be a significant improvement on this area. On the sound... Cymbals sound a bit muddy to me, but I doubt the lossless codec will improve them.
Unless you highly praise the new release, I may stick to my DVD, but who knows...
What I can tell you is that when I saw the rest of PT's guys playing with Steve I realized how much I miss them. I like Steven's current band, but PT was something else. Anyway, nostalgia moment...

Just saw Black Panther today and absolutely loved it, listening to Zappa - Over-Nite Sensation right now and loving that too! :smokin :banana:

First experiments with Atmos in.5.1.2 configuration. REM Automatic for the People is jaw dropping!
Next step is getting wife approval to leave the speakers where there are and come up with a cunning plan to go for 5.1.4.

First experiments with Atmos in.5.1.2 configuration. REM Automatic for the People is jaw dropping!
Next step is getting wife approval to leave the speakers where there are and come up with a cunning plan to go for 5.1.4.

Yea, I've demoed for several people the original DVD-A in 5.2 and then the ATMOS disc in 7.2.4 and everyone walks out a believer in ATMOS.

Automatic for the People in ATMOS is the real deal.

Back