Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Released in Japan on on R2R.

I wasn't aware that they (Japanese ) had released many QR-R2R. So it's something new I learn today .

I was under the impression that the Japanese/Asian market was primarily saturated with Quad LPS , and very few QR'S .

I most definitely don't have a list of any tapes . Just CD-4 and matrix encoded LPS.

Besides King/A&M were there other labels that did this rather localized thing ?

-intrigued fizzy :smokin

I wasn't aware that they (Japanese ) had released many QR-R2R. So it's something new I learn today .

I was under the impression that the Japanese/Asian market was primarily saturated with Quad LPS , and very few QR'S .

I most definitely don't have a list of any tapes . Just CD-4 and matrix encoded LPS.

Besides King/A&M were there other labels that did this rather localized thing ?

-intrigued fizzy :smokin

afaik there were a number of Q4's in Japan, including King Records releases of A&M and CTI Quads?

The neighbors know this country boy is home, barefoot, beer, whiskey, and very loud Southern Surroundings Blu Ray 5.1.
61iwif3sgmL.jpg

Waylon Jennings ‎– Lonesome, On'ry & Mean (Q8)

One of my very favourite Quad mix. Some tracks feature as many as five guitar players. Great album with some fantastic songs are amazing guitar playing. Freedom To Stay and Pretend I Never Happened are beautiful songs.

Waylon Jennings ‎– Lonesome, On'ry & Mean (Q8)

One of my very favourite Quad mix. Some tracks feature as many as five guitar players. Great album with some fantastic songs are amazing guitar playing. Freedom To Stay and Pretend I Never Happened are beautiful songs.
I fc'n love Waylon Jennings, I have a bunch of 24bit stereo downloads.

Simple Minds Once Upon A Time, out of print DVD-Audio 5.1, so OOP I cant even find a picture of the DVD-A. Love this , I screwed in the back of a car to this. I know TMI.
index.jpg

Simple Minds Once Upon A Time, out of print DVD-Audio 5.1, so OOP I cant even find a picture of the DVD-A. Love this , I screwed in the back of a car to this. I know TMI.
View attachment 29746

Yeah Snood had to re screw a few things back in on my piece of shit Mustang II ( what a piece of sheeeeeet) back in the day!!!

Yeah fixing and having to re-screw stuff sux right Marpow?? :banana::mad:@::rolleyes::yikes

Pete Namlook & Tetsu Inoue - Broadway 2350 IV (5.0 DTS CD)

Superb Ambient album!

Klaus Schulze & Pete Namlook - The Dark Side Of The Moog XI (5.0 DTS CD)

A classic!

1968 Stones , and they put out some of their best music then and immediately after.

One Song in Surround---ONLY ONE !:rolleyes: It is very good though.

SACD

And the Circus Concert with a poor attempt at surround-----, but all the musical acts are super good .

20170617_165953.jpg

does that mean they used the compression from the stereo cd and used that as their fronts for the 5.1 mix but used other (less compressed) tracks for the 3.1?

I've no idea sorry I've never scrutinised the mix, I doubt that's what they did.. although the mastering engineer may have referenced the Stereo and applied similar compression to the Fronts only? we know sometimes such compression is intentional as an aesthetic/artistic thing and that may be the case here, I don't know.. when I've encountered such things with 5.1 before its part of why a 5.1 mix can sound so front heavy even if there's a fair bit of surround activity in the mix, since the rear content gets drowned out by needlessly compressed Front channels (Bowie's Station To Station is one example) but just looking at the disproportionate waveforms of Front L&R without even hearing anything they're potentially gonna sound (feel?) quite different from the Centre & Rears.. anyway I'll rip the DualDisc in DVDAE next week and have a look at it so I don't have to second guess so much! :)

Back