Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David Bowie - Reality - SACD 5.1

Needed this tonight... How I wish Tony Visconti would mix some more Bowie in 5.1.
Especially Hunky Dory, Earthling and Black Star, but so many more. I'd break the bank to support them all.

Queen greatest hits 2 The Video Collection. Holy smokes. This is outstanding and I'm not even a big Queen fan.

Hi. All

More of my Quad reels I`ve listen to yesterday I pulled out randomly *The Mistic Moods*-Love The One You`re With.
This Quad mix is differant than most in that the first half of the music each song starts off with a rainy day on the porch sound afect, the music then starts to blend in and takeover with the rain in the back ground which gives each song a diferant mode of listening, the second half of the tape started each song with a sense that you were at a tropical beach on the shore line which sends you into another cloud of listening...very relaxing.

IMG_2380.jpg
IMG_2382.JPG

Today I pulled out from the shelf *Deep Purple*-Machine Head.
This really gets my blood pressure going I love the guitar play and that Hammond organ OOOOoooo....

IMG_2383.jpg
IMG_2384.jpg

Needed this tonight... How I wish Tony Visconti would mix some more Bowie in 5.1.
Especially Hunky Dory, Earthling and Black Star, but so many more. I'd break the bank to support them all.

I came across a mention of a German SACD of HUNKY DORY in 5.1. Never seen it, though, which is just as well, as it would be out of my price range :mad:

Hi. All

More of my Quad reels I`ve listen to yesterday I pulled out randomly *The Mistic Moods*-Love The One You`re With.
This Quad mix is differant than most in that the first half of the music each song starts off with a rainy day on the porch sound afect, the music then starts to blend in and takeover with the rain in the back ground which gives each song a diferant mode of listening, the second half of the tape started each song with a sense that you were at a tropical beach on the shore line which sends you into another cloud of listening...very relaxing.

View attachment 31902
View attachment 31903

Today I pulled out from the shelf *Deep Purple*-Machine Head.
This really gets my blood pressure going I love the guitar play and that Hammond organ OOOOoooo....

View attachment 31904
View attachment 31905

aren't pretty much all the Mystic Moods Quads like that? rain/weather and/or sound effects couched around the music? Highway One i think was one with all speech or something.. weird!

The Kinks-One For The Road dvd[yes there is a dolby digital 5.1 mix on this disc but it's barely there].....I played it as my tribute to Jim Rodford[RIP].

Wish Ray Davies would reissue his solo video mini movie..Return To Waterloo . It was on RCA and the music was Dolby surround.
Don't know if Jim Rodford was on it , but it sounded pretty good with my Fosgate Tate back then.:smokin

Would be so sweet if Visconti got busy with Bowie. His catalogue of gems lend themselves perfectly for surround.

We are indeed lucky to have some of them but I am somewhat ravenous for more. He(Bowie) was a master of music albums I think . Next to impossible NOT to be a fan !

I wonder if it is legit!

Well the terms "bootleg" and "unofficial" cover these types...it's not official...that's for sure...read the bottom of the page and it gives up a feel for how this was done...HERE..the good news is that the DR is pretty good on all the versions of this album...now if you aren't interested in the "bootleg" surround...you can get downloads(which might not be better than the CD versions)in the "crowd pleasing" 24/96 mode or the overkill mode 24/192 HERE

Eric Clapton-461 Ocean Boulevard from the Give Me Strength box[ES 5.1 mix] playing Please Be With Me now

The Shoeless Joes - Shoeless Joe - DTS CD 44.1/20 5.1

It seems as though this title has received very little mention on QQ, at least as far as my search went. So, I'll call it out as highly satisfactory to me.
Musically, these guys are on it. Singer has a good voice. I'd vote something like an 8 or a 9.
Songs are enjoyable. This will definitely get repeat listens. I'd say these guys are a bit like the Eagles.
This sounds well-recorded and the mix is pretty friggin' discrete. I found it pretty cheap. There's one on amzn for $8.

Enjoying my first "Quad" listen to Jackson Browne's "Late for the Sky" via my Acura ELS DVD-Audio. Not a tremendous amount of discrete separation, but it certainly sounds like JB's playing the acoustic guitar in the passenger's seat and David Lindley is in the rear seat with his lap steel guitar.

Jackson Browne - Late For The Sky CB127 front.jpg

Enjoying my first "Quad" listen to Jackson Browne's "Late for the Sky" via my Acura ELS DVD-Audio. Not a tremendous amount of discrete separation, but it certainly sounds like JB's playing the acoustic guitar in the passenger's seat and David Lindley is in the rear seat with his lap steel guitar

It is certainly a lovely quad mix...the asylum ones are all quite good, but sadly only available as CD-4/Q8. If only there was a hi-Rez version available...

Back