Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder if there will be anything ever topping the Kraftwerk package?

G7BzUue.jpg

Here performing "Spacelab"

RnrDpWK.jpg

So I turned on the 4 butt-kickers I have attached to the underside of the couch (usually only in use when watching movies) - bassy as the music is - it's excellent :smokin

I read somewhere that atmos speakers are designed for like 100 kHz (or is it 120 kHz) or higher speakers and the receivers output (read from the atmos encode) is crossed-over at 100-120 kHz by default and that the atmos speakers need to have their individual cross-over set lower when using full range or lower speakers?

I read somewhere that atmos speakers are designed for like 100 kHz (or is it 120 kHz) or higher speakers and the receivers output (read from the atmos encode) is crossed-over at 100-120 kHz by default and that the atmos speakers need to have their individual cross-over set lower when using full range or lower speakers?

i think that might be 100 Hz?
(100 kilohertz v.high frequency)

ok, ok but you know what I was trying to say

back to the point, does anyone have input on atmos surrounds having a different crossover than full range?

I have the 7 lower speakers set crossover for 80Hz - and the smaller Atmos speakers crossover set at 120Hz.

When DVD-Audio first came - they began to sell speakers built for this - DVD-Audio approved Hi-Rez speakers! Typical that they could perform up to 100 kHz. Dogs can hear up to 50kHz - but Bats can hear up to 100kHz.

It's a very loud recording as you can see, ok surround and fidelty. But I love the songs :banana:

yeah.. I wanted to say I thought it was a load of old tosh but I didn't want to offend anyone.. musically I like it but the mix is pretty poor, the sound quality is crap and the picture quality is atrocious.

fwiw there is some Lighthouse Quad including that One Fine Day or whatever its called.. and the mixes are faaaarrrrr superior to this DVD (another 5.1 thing I wish I hadn't wasted my time and money on this year! ah well.. in other news you'll be glad to hear I've stopped trying to second guess what channel assignment your GUI is showing now! :D

ok, ok but you know what I was trying to say

back to the point, does anyone have input on atmos surrounds having a different crossover than full range?

i do now, sorry I wasn't being a smart arse its just when you were saying 100 kHz this and 200 kHz that it was very early in the morning here (couldn't sleep as usual) and I was thinking "what the **** that's some seriously high frequency stuff in Atmos!!" :yikes

yeah.. I wanted to say I thought it was a load of old tosh but I didn't want to offend anyone.. musically I like it but the mix is pretty poor, the sound quality is crap and the picture quality is atrocious.

fwiw there is some Lighthouse Quad including that One Fine Day or whatever its called.. and the mixes are faaaarrrrr superior to this DVD (another 5.1 thing I wish I hadn't wasted my time and money on this year! ah well.. in other news you'll be glad to hear I've stopped trying to second guess what channel assignment your GUI is showing now! :D

I mean the numbers:

sivnvUH.jpg

The "Gain" number tells how loud the recording is, a very simpel guide: 0 -> -5 dB is very good, -5 -> -8 is high, below -8 it gets hot.

But of course a loud recording can sound very good, and a low recording sound bad :mad:@:

Those numbers are generated by Foobars ReplayGain function - a function that lets you play all your music at the same volume level - regardless their recording level. You never have to use the remote when changing albums :smokin

I mean the numbers:

sivnvUH.jpg

The "Gain" number tells how loud the recording is, a very simpel guide: 0 -> -5 dB is very good, -5 -> -8 is high, below -8 it gets hot.

But of course a loud recording can sound very good, and a low recording sound bad :mad:@:

Those numbers are generated by Foobars ReplayGain function - a function that lets you play all your music at the same volume level - regardless their recording level. You never have to use the remote when changing albums :smokin

fascinating as all that exposition is, all the number crunching in all the world would not help me enjoy this one its a waste of plastic with really piss poor picture quality, sound quality that is nothing to write home about and a mix from a bloke who I'm sure was well-meaning (their enthusiasm is palpable) but to me needed to improve their skills in surround music mixing before unleashing their work on a paying public. for anyone here who loves it, I'm happy for you but for me it's going on the pile of crap 5.1 music that will collect dust and never be played again (its a big pile).

SPOCK SAYS :

I'm a big fan of Tom Waits and would love a discrete live perfomance by him.

.[/QUOTE]

Missed this notation by you yesterday, sorry.

FWIW : I think a LOT of QQ's are just as much of a fan of Tom's Live , etc. Fourplay and myself are MAJOR BIG UN'S .

Alas nothing exists live of his in surround and that's a shame . His live shows are the most entertaining of anyone. Now BIG TIME the movie was in surround (matrix), and it just begs for a discreet re-issue .Maybe one day.

His Glitter And Doom live tour shoulda/coulda been in DVD orBlu-ray at the minimum DVD , but......oh well.

-so sad to say we're all waiting . :(

fascinating as all that exposition is, all the number crunching in all the world would not help me enjoy this one its a waste of plastic with really piss poor picture quality, sound quality that is nothing to write home about and a mix from a bloke who I'm sure was well-meaning (their enthusiasm is palpable) but to me needed to improve their skills in surround music mixing before unleashing their work on a paying public. for anyone here who loves it, I'm happy for you but for me it's going on the pile of crap 5.1 music that will collect dust and never be played again (its a big pile).

Somehow I do get the impression that you are not to positive about the Lighthouse release?

It's easier if you straight out tell us what you mean!

haha

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

I agree the surround could be better. The mix is kinda going through the motions kinda surround .

Love the tunes though even if the 5.1 is lacklustre .

Both "One Fine Morning " and "Hats Off To The Stranger " were available in quad and pretty good mixes at that. Got those 2 on EV-4 QUAD LP and they were also available on Q8 as well. Not certain but I think "Sunny Days" may also have had a Q8 MIX.
All on Samplers only with other artists fwiw. So yes indeed the QUAD mixes are superior , imho. :D

Back