Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
metallica_zpslcfizuit.jpg

There's whiskey in the jaarooooaah! :smokin

I like Thin Lizzy's version better.:)

Generally that's the trend for any cover song. I like them both actually. :)

Let's face it, a great song is a great song. I've heard four versions of this classic song and I enjoy every one of them.

Thin Lizzy
Metallica
Pulp
Belle And Sebastian

Thin Lizzy version from the Live & Dangerous dvd - as a bonus video, from Top of the Pops, and it is in 5.1.

thin_zpstuq9a1m5.jpg

It sounds like mono - but it's great!

Let's face it, a great song is a great song. I've heard four versions of this classic song and I enjoy every one of them.

Thin Lizzy
Metallica
Pulp
Belle And Sebastian

That is cool!

But the most important thing: The Metallica version is in surround - pretty nice one too - cool with the guitar kickin in in the rears midway through the song.

Sorry - stereo does not do it.

So the Metallica version just rules!

:brew

imho - of course

Got 2 "new" ones (as in new to me) yesterday at the Bristol hifi show:
Alice Cooper Muscle of Love Audio Fidelity 4.0 sacd
and Eric Bibb Rainbow People Opus3 4.1 sacd

Two completely different discs but really nice in their own way. Will have to listen to the AC one a few more times to get pass the mild surprise as was not expecting something that "gentle" but I didn't know this album.

Roy Orbison- Black & White Night 30 Blu-ray...well, I've finally got this mix that I've read so much about! Problem is, I don't think this is the same mix that's on the previous DVD-A or DVD-V versions (this is the only version I have, so I can't directly compare... I was never able to find the version that came with the DVD-A). The surround mix on THIS version is lackluster (IMO); really just ambience in the rear speakers (I don't hear any discrete rear elements at all, unfortunately). The video looks good (but purposely grainy), and you do get several bonus songs from an informal jam that occurred after the "official" concert. I'm pretty disappointed considering the rave reviews I read in the forum about the original release surround mix being very discrete and aggressive (on the blu-ray there are no guitars or other instruments bursting forth from the rear speakers whatsoever). If anyone has both versions, I'd love to read a comparison! (Better yet, if anyone can tell me where I might be able to hear the original DVD-A surround mix, I'll do the comparison myself!;))

Back