Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gaucho - Steely Dan

Scheiner's best surround mixes just seem to get better as time goes by, like a fine wine or something, they often seem subtle at first but can be deceivingly layered and complex.. for me Gaucho is his Château Lafite, his Royal Beluga, his Macallan 50 Year Old Malt.. the utterly butterly mutts nuts of multichannel music.. I'm not sure if it'll ever be bettered for me as a 5.1 remix of an old album, that man is an absolute surround remix genius and at his best he is without equal imho. :smokin

This was the album that showed me what could be done with a surround mix and really turned me on to surround music in general. :worthy

Actually, I'm taking off Anesthetize and putting on Gaucho right now. :upthumb

Yup...was FLOORED when I heard it for the first time, and I still consider it a reference disc....and, of course , it was one of the FIRST DISCS I BOUGHT!!!

(EDIT : in Sept 2008 for 14.80 GBP!!!)

Just listened to these two.

Caravan-live 2010 dtsdvd and Little Feat-Kickin It At The Barn DVD-A

Great performance by that Caravan lineup, btw. But sure would love the two Feat's shelved 5.1 mixes (Dixie Chicken and Waiting For Columbus) ! C'mon Rhino....get off the crapper, already ! :upthumb

20161022_190500.jpg

And last nite's foray into surround.

Some of the best of the best. YES ALBUM, GENTLE GIANT-OCTOPUS, CARAVAN-LAND OF GREY AND PINK , And of course GENESIS-LAMB. !

20161022_190430.jpg

Listening now : Genesis The Cinema Show

So what is your favorite ver of Gaucho? DTS? SACD? DVD-Audio? I prefer DVD-audio.

Listening now : Genesis The Cinema Show

So what is your favorite ver of Gaucho? DTS? SACD? DVD-Audio? I prefer DVD-audio.

I don't have the SACD , but I do have the DTS CD (which contains Elliot Scheiner's first mix) and I have the DVD-A of course. Both are worth listening to and both have excellent surround.:D

I don't have the SACD , but I do have the DTS CD (which contains Elliot Scheiner's first mix) and I have the DVD-A of course. Both are worth listening to and both have excellent surround.:D

I really can't find a lot of differences between the DTS CD and the DVD-A (which is the same as the SACD) mixes....but I can say this...we got the same great Ice Cream in two great flavors!!!

If you can, get both versions..heck , I got all three!!!

My fave, because I'm a "snob" would be the DVD-A, but it's alllllllllllll gooooooood!

:smokin

Really awesome...fairly discrete quad and great sounding. And of course a wonderful interpretation from a top orchestra.

51kKM4PFhIL.jpg

Edited to add: Just noticed that you can see the actual master tape in this video:
[video=youtube;GBctVE8qGEs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBctVE8qGEs[/video]

I can't get enough of the Sibelius Symphonies. These are classic Quads from Vanguard Records that Silverlive released on DVD-As.

Currently playing: Symphonies No. 2 & 3

Sibelius%20Symphonies%20Vanguard%20Utah%20Symphony%20Orchestra_zpsgzfklmzp.jpg

Abravanel%20Sibelius%20Symphonies%20Nos.%202%20amp%203%20DVD-A_zpsnots73ge.jpg

Ten Years After, A Space In Time, 24/96 5.1 DVD-A. God I love this. Please somebody release all of TYA in surround. One of the earliest bands to mix external sounds with there music tracks, begs for surround. Nice and heavy blues/rock, enough with all this Prog Rock.

Love the band, and adore this album, and worship the quad mix.................... But wasn't this a DVD-V format with no high res on it at all?

Love the band, and adore this album, and worship the quad mix.................... But wasn't this a DVD-V format with no high res on it at all?

That's correct. The 2012 release was a DVD-V disc with the Quad mix encoded in DTS & Dullby (with front & back channels flipped!), and a high-res flat transfer of the original stereo mix.

I really can't find a lot of differences between the DTS CD and the DVD-A (which is the same as the SACD) mixes....but I can say this...we got the same great Ice Cream in two great flavors!!!

If you can, get both versions..heck , I got all three!!!

My fave, because I'm a "snob" would be the DVD-A, but it's alllllllllllll gooooooood!

:smokin

well I had a little look under the multichannel microscope.. and me lugholes did not deceive me, the mixes are not quite the same! :yikes

for one thing the lead vocals in the centre channel on the DTS CD are drier and more detailed (and louder! not always a good thing of course but in this case I like em louder, DF's voice is so full of nuance and cool little inflections and stuff and you really pick up on it on the DTS CD more than the DVD-A/SACD) and the rears are more discrete and better balanced wrt everything else in the DTS disc too (the rears are louder in the DVD-A/SACD with more lead vocal reverb in there so they have a kinda more diffuse feel in a way, I find, though there are still plenty of discrete cool things going on back there in the SACD revision..

try the title track for fun, line up the 6 tracks and then start soloing them and flick back and forth between the DVD-A/SACD and the DTS CD and you'll hear cool stuff like that flanged synth (or whatever it is?) emerge from the centre channel and rears at around 1:57 and again at approx 4:30 in the DVD-A/SACD whereas in the DTS CD its not there in the centre at all but in the rears.. don't get me wrong I love, no adore the surround on the DVD-A/SACD.. but the DTS CD is even more surround-y.. even the tinkling wind chimes at the end of the title track are brought up more in the mix in the rears on the DTS compared to the DVD-A/SACD.. they're just tinklier back there I guess you might say! ahh.. its the little things isn't it... :eek: ..so yeah, slightly weird but the DTS is my goto version these days! its just so FLUFFY..!!!!! :D

AT&T announced an $85+ billion bid for acquisition of Time Warner which includes its Motion Picture and TV Division but it's not clear whether Warner Brothers/Rhino Music Division is part of the deal.

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/att-time-warner-deal-1201897938/

No Warner Music Group would not be a part of this transaction.

But I'm not sure I like the idea of my phone company owning such a large media company as well. It's too much control over content and distribution. AT&T were broken up 20 years ago as a monopoly, and have since regrouped as before because deregulation let them regroup. They do not need to be any bigger.

Back