Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gene, can you post a pic ??

@Marpow,

You misunderstood, I'm not questioning whether the recording is quad , just the lack of the indication QUAD on the sleeve or any sleeves from A.F.
Can u toss up a pic for me ? Thanks. (y)

ABBB142B-55D8-4463-83CB-AA35D0A30542.jpg

9F1AD49F-819C-4C02-9A1E-06BFC2C9C2D2.jpg

168D63ED-BDDF-4847-BAE2-F4A05CE0E6F2.jpg

Finished with the Beck SEA CHANGE comparisons, I now bow to the inevitable, cyclone-rainy, lazy day by listening to KC's ISLANDS.

Magnificent 8'). This is the DVD-A of the CD/DVD package -- <grrr> Why no 40th Anniversary box set with blu ray for this great album, Robert? :mad:

EDIT: Yes, Groon. Yes, breakup with Sinfield. Still :mad:

Thanks Gene. :upthumb

I guess the point I was trying to make was well. In this day and age QUAD is still being perceived by people in the re-issue companies (mostly Sony US , and A.F. ) as a "DIRTY WORD " .
And well you gotta wonder "why ?" or "Who ?" at A.F. is going out of there way to kill that indication on the final product. It just seems all so petty and rather foolish to me as a collector and olde time Quadraphile .

Anyways it's good to know that at least there are a couple of A.F.SACDS that made it . Still weird that all the ads for the quad sacds state QUAD on the sleeves and boldly so. :rolleyes:

Well now I have even MORE reason to purchase that particular title .:D

Finished with the Beck SEA CHANGE comparisons, I now bow to the inevitable, cyclone-rainy, lazy day by listening to KC's ISLANDS.

Magnificent 8'). This is the DVD-A of the CD/DVD package -- <grrr> Why no 40th Anniversary box set with blu ray for this great album, Robert? :mad:

EDIT: Yes, Groon. Yes, breakup with Sinfield. Still :mad:

Well there's no 40th anniversary box set for "Islands" yet, but I think it could happen either this year or next year, with the other box set release being a 2000s era box set covering "The Construkction of Light" and "The Power to Believe".

:)

Well there's no 40th anniversary box set for "Islands" yet, but I think it could happen either this year or next year, with the other box set release being a 2000s era box set covering "The Construkction of Light" and "The Power to Believe".

:)

Some of my absolute favorite music of all time is everything Crimson did from Court of the Crimson King through Thrak, but in my several few listens to tCoL and tPtB, they just never really grabbed me, and felt more like Thrak-reprise. From what I've read Bill Bruford left the band during rehearsals because he thought they weren't stretching enough or doing something more adventuresome. As a drummer, Bruford's loss was disappointing and that may have tainted my perception of those albums a bit. Now here's where I go off the deep end:

I almost think that 'Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind' literally means that they are taking Radical Action (having three great drummers) to Unseat the Hold (stubborn Bruford lovers like me not very happy with the new direction) of Monkey Mind (Bruford is Monkey Mind because lack of him decreased my interest and excitement of new KC music). Whether I'm insane or not, the Radical Action worked for me, and I love this performance immensely.

That being said, if there was a surround mix for tCoL and tPtB (I would assume probably done by Jakko), my interest in giving them another shot would go up exponentially.

P.S. - An Island box-set would be saweeet! :cool:

P.P.S. - Listening to :

Radical_Action_to_Unseat_the_Hold_of_Monkey_Mind.jpg

Some of my absolute favorite music of all time is everything Crimson did from Court of the Crimson King through Thrak, but in my several few listens to tCoL and tPtB, they just never really grabbed me, and felt more like Thrak-reprise. From what I've read Bill Bruford left the band during rehearsals because he thought they weren't stretching enough or doing something more adventuresome. As a drummer, Bruford's loss was disappointing and that may have tainted my perception of those albums a bit. .....]

Curiously enough , to me, TCOL was a HUGE LEAP, front, sideways or any direction except backwards...I'd say more to the left!
Trey , as a "bass" player(like me) brought a complexity that finally matched Fripp and Belew (not dissing the GREAT Maestro Levin, but , I doubt he'd ever come up with such intricate bass lines- he plays them well live and I saw him looking a lot at the fretboard on the 2nd tour, and less on the 3rd tour-which means he had conquered them)

TPTB was an extension of that and still a great album...

Really wouldn't know Bruford was talking about(interesting to find out too) about them not STRETCHING OUT (which way?) musically since I think that this was the biggest stretch I've ever seen from KC...

I really like "Radical Action", although the person who mixed it , either had a "flawed setup" or has a different definition of "Surround" cause they had to tweak the rears (jack them up) for this release to make it sound ..."normal"...I DO agree with his POV of mixing the drums all around you, which is the opposite to Jakko's (which is make them all ONE kit, but that was only in Stereo, haven't heard any of his mixes from the 3 drumset monster in MCH, though)

Last edited:
Starting off this morning with a long one "ELP - Welcome Back, My Friends, to the Show That Never Ends" Quad FLAC obtained a while back from the world wide web, this is one that I understand to be sourced from a Quadraphonic Fostex Q8 discrete 4 channel to DTS CD to Pitch and Speed Corrected FLAC and it sounds pretty darn good and more importantly a very Quaddy listen...ping pong anyone?

ELP_Welcome_Back_My_Friends.jpg

Dave Mason the 1974 Dave Mason album, I believe was a Quad conversion, plays as Quad and sounds Quad but I don't remember no details and I gots no info on it, but it sounds great.

View attachment 29712

I had one of his three quad albums, but ended up trading it as I didn't care 4 the music too much.

But now I wish I'd had all 3 from this ex TRAFFIC bluesman :smokin
. Boy have my tastes ever altered .

Huh?? What box set...what 5.1? I didn't know about this one...

5.1 locked in the boxset. I've heard the mix and it's ok, but was mastered very, very loud. IMO, I wouldn't pay a bundle of the OOP set.
IMO, it's also not Muse's strongest album. I'd say that is Absolution or Black Holes & Revelations. YMMV, of course.

Back