Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keeping those ceiling speakers busy:

IMG_9705web_zpssmoh5hzh.jpg

Planes, choppers etc flying :)

Lp or cd ?

An LP, Fizzy.. quite an interesting one too, a German pressing on the Philips imprint.. it has all the QS blurb on the rear sleeve (that is also on the Chronicles remastered CD I have somewhere too) so I presume its encoded and all that.. anyway the record pans out pretty nicely thru the diddy little Surround Master i think (what else could it be decoded by chez moi? i don't have any other decoders! haha.. so nothing to compare it to.. but in my little world its alright until/unless we ever get the real discrete thing from the Quad master tapes.. :eek: )

Just finished this one. Really nice spread and overall good separation. The Quad LP features 11 tracks whilst the Stereo has 12. The Missing track is Bridge Under Troubled Water meaning that the Quad LP is abridged. (rimshot) :D

Quad%20101%20Strings%20Swinging%20Sounds%201_zpsmxrdquwr.jpg

Original UK Stereo LP cover:

Nelson%20Riddle%20-%20101%20Strings%20UK_zps67oudcbj.jpg

Original US Stereo LP cover:

Nelson%20Riddle%20-%20101%20Strings%20US_zpsdz02nyqw.jpg

Now playing:

Brass Fever (Impulse)

Some of the top session players of the early/mid 70's are on this one. James Jamerson is one of them. Amazing playing throughout by those cats. I do wish this was more discrete though.

Quad%20Brass%20Fever%201_zpssli5sueo.jpg

This is being unashamedly ingested at the same time. :D

When life puts a mixed bowl of Peanut Butter M&M's and Almond M&M's in your path, you have to be honest with yourself and simply give in and eat every single one of them.

MampMs_zpsp3udylsr.jpg

The Great Songs Of The Beatles (Capitol)

This sound really nice with actually more rear action than I would have anticipated. Listening to Here, There and Everywhere by The Lettermen makes one wish that The Beach Boys would have received the Quad treatment in those days. The harmonies are at the back and the lead up front which sounds superb. The Fool On The Hill gets a Tijuana Brass meets The Harmonicats treatment which is actually pretty well done. Bobbie Gentry's version of Eleanor Rigby is fab and Tennessee Ernie Ford's Let It Be is actually amazingly well done with a full on orchestra and backing. The Quad mixes are by Carson Taylor.

Great%20Songs%20Of%20The%20Beatles%20Quad%20LP_zpsrmvkr4jj.jpg

Last edited:
My very first listen of this superb Quad mix. It sound really sweet.

Laura Nyro - Eli And The Thirteenth Confession (SACD)

Opeth - Pale Communion 5.1 BD-A... got my ticket for the show this month, ordered the new album, put together my "setlist" mix for my phone (based on the last few shows), and now it's time to review... in glorious surround sound!

Amazing Edit: Just found out "The Sword" is opening!!! (Their latest album sucks, but everything before that ROCKS!!)... two bands I've always wanted to see live for $56... not bad

Opeth - Pale Communion 5.1 BD-A... got my ticket for the show this month, ordered the new album, put together my "setlist" mix for my phone (based on the last few shows), and now it's time to review... in glorious surround sound!

Amazing Edit: Just found out "The Sword" is opening!!! (Their latest album sucks, but everything before that ROCKS!!)... two bands I've always wanted to see live for $56... not bad

Apparently they have an acoustic version of High Country out called "Low Country". Curious if you've heard it. I personally haven't yet, but some buddies of mine have said really good things about it. But yeah, gotta agree, high country was (n)

I don't have a girlfriend, I just know a girl who would get really mad if she heard me say that.

Last edited:
Back