Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes - Fragile

yesfragile.jpg

I'm not sure exactly what Steven Wilson did to this album, but aside from the spectacular surround mix, it sounds like someone took a blanket off of the speakers and turned some distortion down. The clarity, depth and dimensionality are a revelation.

A wonderful mix. My favorite Yes. Brings back fond memories of 10th grade Chemistry class, where our student-teacher let us play the album during lab time. Of course it never sound as good as SW's mix!

Yes - Fragile

yesfragile.jpg

I'm not sure exactly what Steven Wilson did to this album, but aside from the spectacular surround mix, it sounds like someone took a blanket off of the speakers and turned some distortion down. The clarity, depth and dimensionality are a revelation.

A wonderful mix. My favorite Yes. Brings back fond memories of 10th grade Chemistry class, where our student-teacher let us play the album during lab time. Of course it never sound as good as SW's mix!

It'd be hard for me to pick a favorite Yes album, but this one is near the very top. :upthumb

Now it's time for: Pink Floyd - Meddle :smokin :brew
R-9601390-1483470780-7232.jpeg.jpg

Barclay James Harvest - Octoberon my favourite BJH album :banana: in surround, 1st listen, it is great but there doesn't seem to be much anticipation from others here on QQ, hopefully you'll all come round:D

FepJgAy.jpg

I7VRkva.jpg

I've posted a little more about it on the Barclay James Harvest in DVD: Video and Audio DVD page.

I don't usually want to spew good tidings over a disc that's not been released-officially but,

Heard for the 2nd time yesterday THE CARS-THE CARS 5.1

Absolutely one of the best 5.1 mixes I have ever had the pleasure to hear !! No kidding !!

All quadrant (4 speakers ) engaged at various times , and occasionally highlights one or the other . It's complimentary and the center is never dominant .
Sounds like an E.S. mix if ever I heard one. If this disc is his mix and it's being label withheld---it's a large crime to any Cars fan and most especially surround fans .

All I can do is plead : ELECTRA RECORDS you gotta do us fans the right thing -----and ISSUE this without further delay please !!

An incredible surround disc, everyone should have .:D

I don't usually want to spew good tidings over a disc that's not been released-officially but,

Absolutely one of the best 5.1 mixes I have ever had the pleasure to hear !! No kidding !!

All quadrant (4 speakers ) engaged at various times , and occasionally highlights one or the other . It's complimentary and the center is never dominant .
Sounds like an E.S. mix if ever I heard one. If this disc is his mix and it's being label withheld---it's a large crime to any Cars fan and most especially surround fans .

All I can do is plead : ELECTRA RECORDS you gotta do us fans the right thing -----and ISSUE this without further delay please !!

Yeah I've heard it too and it really is that good...the synth entering from the rears in "just what I needed" is startling (in a good way). There is also this really interesting synth effect in "you're all I've got tonight" that is totally buried in the stereo. The whole album is demo material IMO.

I don't really think it's ES though since his mixes always seem to have the vocals at a lower volume in all four channels, while this is more like a quad mix with no vocals at all in the rears.

I wonder how it escaped the vaults...

Yeah I've heard it too and it really is that good...the synth entering from the rears in "just what I needed" is startling (in a good way). There is also this really interesting synth effect in "you're all I've got tonight" that is totally buried in the stereo. The whole album is demo material IMO.

I don't really think it's ES though since his mixes always seem to have the vocals at a lower volume in all four channels, while this is more like a quad mix with no vocals at all in the rears.

It's damned awesome, whoever mixed it!

I would love to hear the The Cars mix.

Another Roy Orbison dvd:

Ky4J7TA.jpg

4:3 picture, tv quality, 5.1 DD - but an excellent discrete surround mix - Elliot Scheiner?

Edit: Yes, it's mixed by Elliot Scheiner, now this Roy Orbison dvd I did not know that E.S. mixed - a week ago I found the Olivia Newton-John also mixed by E.S. - news to me.

Is there a complete list of Elliot Scheiners 5.1 mixes somewhere?

I guess its just what you needed.. ;)
(don't sound like the work of Scheiner to me but I like it!)

it was the one armed man..!! :yikes

Back