Kickhunter - Quadraphonic Game (QuadroSurround DVD-A)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Quadfather

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
In the interest of full disclosure, Deitrich of Quadro Surround Musikproduktion sent me a copy of Kickhunter "Quadraphonic Game" free of charge for a review. These are my impressions of this DVD record.

I listened to Kickhunter on Friday night, and I was going to take notes, but however, I got to diggin' on the music and I put my note pad down. It is a lot like southern rock, but it's a little more complicated than that. Some of the musical arrangements are quite fancy, and I enjoy music like that. The quad was discrete and instruments were well placed, but there was very little movement of instruments. (panning) But that's OK, as the music fits well with the style of mix. The recording quality is good, except that "Bye Bye Bye" was recorded a few decibels down. Still the fidelity was good. Most of the songs are original as far as I know, I had never heard them before. However, one was an old standard, "Roll Over Beethoven" but I guarantee you've never heard it like this before. It's kind of like when Eric Clapton recorded his slow version of "Layla", it changed the whole character of the song. The Hammond Organ has the sound I really like and demonstrates well in the introduction of "Another Tear". In "Heaven Knows", the pace is slowed a bit, it starts with a male vocalist, and ends in a male/female duet. The singers are talented and they perform well. This is a German band, and you can hear the "Krautrock" influence in some of the more complicated passages. Also, some of the instrumental passages did remind me a bit of Steppenwolf. The recording comes as a DVD, though it has no special features. It does display pictures, one for each song, which for some reason my old RCA Colortrack TV set displayed in black and white only. It must be a standards issue. However, my rack monitor did display it in color. All in all this recording shall become a treasured piece in my collection.

Thank you Quad Father for the review. It is always interesting for us as producer, how the impressions are by the listener about our quadraphonic productions . But sometimes we have the impression, that some fans wil lhave only interess for 3 or 4 bands and their - may be - quadraphonic productions. But there are hundreds bands with the same quality and interesting music by different styles. Music listen at home is satisfying, but sometimes a music listener should go to live bands in their town. So each can listen, how professional also those bands are playing - most on the same level as the handfull worlwide known band - pushing by their record labels. For us is beneth the quadraphonic sound also interesting the music in different styles. Actual is Rock music in the center of the interess, but the world of music is a lot bigger. So we further on produce quadraphonic music by different music styles as there is Rock, Jazz, Country, Latin etc.The same, as big labels have done in the fantastic quadraphonic 70's! In that quadraphonic tradition we work further on with big financial effort. May be, with further reviews in this forum.

Spinnin' this piglette. Picked it up in a trade. The lyrics strike me as a bit purile, from time to time, but that could be an ESL thing.
The quad is EXTREMELY discrete at times. Fidelity is purdy darn good. To me, this sounds like party rock. I'm more of a prog guy, but this is fun.
I agree the singing is very good and I particularly like the placement of vocals on this production.

Spinnin' this piglette. Picked it up in a trade. The lyrics strike me as a bit purile, from time to time, but that could be an ESL thing.
The quad is EXTREMELY discrete at times. Fidelity is purdy darn good. To me, this sounds like party rock. I'm more of a prog guy, but this is fun.
I agree the singing is very good and I particularly like the placement of vocals on this production.

Hell yeah! Some of these oddball discs are fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose the weak link of the production is the drum sound. Just sounds a bit dull or subdued to me.
It's not a show-stopper, but I think it could have been much better. Maybe it just needed to be higher in the mix.

Back