Beach Boys Stereo SACDs Now At Acoustic Sounds

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GOS - is this the new AP release? If so, for the stereo mix does "You Still Believe in Me" contain a double-tracked lead vocal, and does "Wouldn't it Be Nice" have Mike (not Brian) singing the bridge section? These elements were missing when they first remixed it but I seem to remember that have since been 'fixed'. Thanks!

It is the AP release. I'll give a listen again and let you know.

OK - on a roll now. Just put in Beach Boys TODAY. It seems to follow the trend of Pet Sounds. Much more narrow sound stage. Huh....

That was originally released in mono and simulated stereo, so it's another "modern" stereo mix. It's better just to play the mono, and preferably off of the SHM SACD.

GOS - is this the new AP release? If so, for the stereo mix does "You Still Believe in Me" contain a double-tracked lead vocal, and does "Wouldn't it Be Nice" have Mike (not Brian) singing the bridge section? These elements were missing when they first remixed it but I seem to remember that have since been 'fixed'. Thanks!

Well, I'm not sure at this point how to tell. But my ears tell me that You Still Believe is double track vocal. Regarding Wouldn't It Be Nice - I guess I'm not that intimate with the disc to know the difference in vocals...

Well, I'm not sure at this point how to tell. But my ears tell me that You Still Believe is double track vocal. Regarding Wouldn't It Be Nice - I guess I'm not that intimate with the disc to know the difference in vocals...

Cool, thanks for trying. I'll do some digging out of curiosity. Although, brilliant as it is, I doubt I'm up for buying yet another copy of this album! :)

Cool, thanks for trying. I'll do some digging out of curiosity. Although, brilliant as it is, I doubt I'm up for buying yet another copy of this album! :)

Well, after listening to all the different BB discs last night...it became very clear that Pet Sounds does not have the same fidelity as the ones I mentioned. It just doesn't. As much as it pains me to admit.

Well, after listening to all the different BB discs last night...it became very clear that Pet Sounds does not have the same fidelity as the ones I mentioned. It just doesn't. As much as it pains me to admit.

I do like the stereo remix in spite of its different feel and approach to the earlier period mixes.

The history of BB mono, stereo, pseudo-stereo and extraction mixes is a long and strange road...and getting more convoluted with every passing year. Here's the state of things as of 2012:

http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/monostereo.html

I do like the stereo remix in spite of its different feel and approach to the earlier period mixes.

The history of BB mono, stereo, pseudo-stereo and extraction mixes is a long and strange road...and getting more convoluted with every passing year. Here's the state of things as of 2012:

http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/monostereo.html
Seems odd how that article says "all BB 45s were released in mono only" even though the Sunflower album is mentioned. Add Some Music To Your Day/Susie Cincinnati was a stereo 45. I have it.

And how about "Break Away". That came out on Capitol stereo 45. I don't have that one now.

Binging on my favorite Beach Boys mono cuts from these recent Analogue Production SACDs:

SURFER GIRL
LITTLE DEUCE COUPE
SHUT DOWN VOL 2
ALL SUMMER LONG
TODAY
SUMMER DAYS

Binging on my favorite Beach Boys mono cuts from these recent Analogue Production SACDs:

SURFER GIRL
LITTLE DEUCE COUPE
SHUT DOWN VOL 2
ALL SUMMER LONG
TODAY
SUMMER DAYS

Of course, no disrespect intended...but when I listen to the mono version of these compared to the stereo...I just cannot appreciate the sound. Too narrow....am I missing something? :)

Of course, no disrespect intended...but when I listen to the mono version of these compared to the stereo...I just cannot appreciate the sound. Too narrow....am I missing something? :)

I can understand that, GOS. Many of those early Chuck Britz stereo mixes sound fantastic! I wouldn't necessarily say I prefer the monos overall. It's more of a case by case basis (much like the Beatles' catalog). Glad to have them both on these SACDs. However I'm not a fan of the modern stereo and extraction mixes on Today and Summer Nights. I much prefer the original mono for those two.

I can understand that, GOS. Many of those early Chuck Britz stereo mixes sound fantastic! I wouldn't necessarily say I prefer the monos overall. It's more of a case by case basis (much like the Beatles' catalog). Glad to have them both on these SACDs. However I'm not a fan of the modern stereo and extraction mixes on Today and Summer Nights. I much prefer the original mono for those two.

The stereo mixes on Summer Nights sound as good as the Chuck Britz mixes to me. As for Today I'd probably have to agree. The way to listen to Today is in mono on the SHM SACD.

The stereo mixes on Summer Nights sound as good as the Chuck Britz mixes to me. As for Today I'd probably have to agree. The way to listen to Today is in mono on the SHM SACD.

Yeah, Summer Days may be the better mix of the two but it still has some clinkers for me (Help Me Rhonda, California Girls). The elements are better distributed over the stereo field than Today but both are narrower than the Britz mixes and lack that appealing hard pan of the double-tracked vocals to either channel.

But when it comes to Pet Sounds I think they nailed it. I’m a big fan of that stereo mix.

Yeah, Summer Days may be the better mix of the two but it still has some clinkers for me (Help Me Rhonda, California Girls). The elements are better distributed over the stereo field than Today but both are narrower than the Britz mixes and lack that appealing hard pan of the double-tracked vocals to either channel.

But when it comes to Pet Sounds I think they nailed it. I’m a big fan of that stereo mix.

I've had the SHM-SACD and the Analogue Productions version of Pet Sounds and both sounded poor to me...as far as clarity and separation...you compare the AP version of Surfer Girl to Pet Sounds and it's so much better than Pet Sounds I thought I was hearing things so I enlisted Gos to do the same comparison and he agreed...I have yet to find a suitable version of Pet Sounds...at this point it seems unlikely I will...I doubt the MoFi Version would be better...in the future if I decide to get involved with downloads that is probably my only chance to get an improved sounding version of Pet Sounds...

I've had the SHM-SACD and the Analogue Productions version of Pet Sounds and both sounded poor to me...as far as clarity and separation...you compare the AP version of Surfer Girl to Pet Sounds and it's so much better than Pet Sounds

Yes, it's a very different approach to the earlier Chuck Britz mixes (Surfer Girl, etc) but I think it serves the material and sophisticated arrangements beautifully. No, if you're unhappy with the mix and the fidelity of the AP and SHM-SACD I doubt you'd be pleased by a different mastering. Sounds like the mix is not your particular cup o' tea.

Some more coming, finally, what a long wait... and don't I have these all on downloads now anyway... Well, except for Sunflower in MONO...

beachboys1.jpg

I plan to purchase Sunflower and Surf's Up.

I finally bought All Summer Long, Summer Days, and Beach Boys' Party...TODAY!!!

Phew! Here we go for another round! What the heck...it's summer, right!?

Bring'em on! :friday:

Back