Thread: Wakeman, Rick - SIX WIVES OF HENRY THE VIII [DVD-A]

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Post Thanks / Like

5.1 icon Wakeman, Rick - SIX WIVES OF HENRY THE VIII [DVD-A]

Please post your thoughts and comments on this February 2015 CD/DVD-A re-release of Rick Wakeman's "Six Wives of Henry the VIII" album from UMe. Sourced from the original quadraphonic master tapes by Andy Walters at Abbey Road, the original quadraphonic mix is presented in High Resolution on the DVD-Audio disc included with a CD.

Original pre-release discussion thread: http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...read.php?19892

Henry Front.jpg
    Henry Back.jpg
    Attachment 17335
    :-jon

2. Thanks Mike the Fish, JanBakker thanked for this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wakeman, Rick - SIX WIVES OF HENRY THE VIII [DVD-A]

I've modified my original review slightly, especially in light of the fact that it's sourced from tape, but here it is from the Rick Wakeman thread:

Every once in a while, I hear some faint noise resembling vinyl, but overall, this is a pretty clean transfer, and I have not heard any sort of noises or dropouts like I did on "Arthur".

Plus I think the music is much better on this one, without an annoying singer to get in the way.
    Like "Arthur", it certainly is a very adventurous mix that makes full use of the surround channels.

Unlike "Arthur" (which gets a '7' for me), this one gets an '8'.
    My advice however would be to only buy these reissues if you are a huge Rick Wakeman fan, or if you really love Quad. (and I would definitely suggest you choose "Six Wives" over "Arthur").
    My REAL advice would be to save your money for the upcoming surround DVD-As in March ("Sparkle in the Rain", "Trilogy", and "Geese & the Ghost"), not to mention all of the wonderful SACDs on the way from Audio Fidelity. These discs should all be worth more than these Rick Wakeman Quad DVD-As.

Finally, I'm now realizing that these discs were not always meant to be DVD-As. You'll notice there is no mention of DVD-A or MLP on the back, plus the DVD itself is labeled as a DVD-V.
    Also what the hell is "LPCDM" and "DTX"? Someone's been drinking lately, and it's not me…

Surround yourself with the best.

Coming soon in 2017: "Eye in the Sky" (The Alan Parsons Project), "Black Sea" (XTC) and "A Farewell to Kings" (RUSH)!
    Already released: "Songs from the Wood" (Jethro Tull); "Misplaced Childhood" (Marillion); "Three Piece Suite" (Gentle Giant) and "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

4. Thanks JanBakker, bangdrum6 thanked for this post
    Likes bangdrum6 liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Social5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Its a 6 from me. Sounds very similar to the Quad fan made DVD from a few years back. the CD sounds great I might add.

6. Thanks Snood thanked for this post
    900 Club - QQ All Star blue.monk's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdriveSocial10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Was anyone else amazed to read that this LP has sold nearly 15 million units? I knew that it was popular but I find that number astonishing. Anyway, I’ve always had a soft spot for this album but was surprised to learn that it doesn’t appear to be in my collection anymore, so I was glad to rectify that with this release. I still love the stereo mix but find the quad mix, as presented here, a bit of a challenge to enjoy. I’m not sure how much of this is based on the mix or fidelity. Overall I don't get the sense of a well-defined soundstage and instruments often sound rather woolly. Regardless of the source, this is what we were given so I won’t speculate as to what might have been. I doubt I’ll be returning to the quad much.

The video clip from The Old Grey Whistle Test is a nice addition although I was disappointed to see that the performance was mimed - which I think was unusual for that program, yes? Well I suppose I shouldn't be surprised given the amount of keyboard overdubs and settings involved but I thought he might deliver a streamlined version.

I give the quad mix and fidelity a 5 but the inclusion of the hi-res stereo brings my overall rating up to a 7.

8. Thanks Mike the Fish thanked for this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star ArmyOfQuad's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 415
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

It was nice of Universal to show interest in quad and include a quad mix on a release, we've been asking for this long enough. And, it has a nice hi-res stereo mix, some fun bonuses, and a nice package, and well authored dvd-a.

However, my biggest draw to this was the quad mix, and they got that very wrong on here. Between the confusion of just what is on this disc, the horrible communication, and the less than ideal source used when better sources exist and would have been easy enough for the label to obtain, this release was a huge disappointment for me. Not to mention, other than stating it includes the quadraphonic mix in the booklet and on the back of the package, there's no real information about the quad mix, not even a credit for the guys that did the quad mix.

And so I unfairly give it a 2. I realize that it may be unfair given that it includes hi-res stereo from the master tape, and is a nicely put together package. But, that's the only reason it gets the 2 points. My big draw to this was the quad mix, and they messed that up so badly I needed to give it a score that reflects that disappointment. This will be getting very little play by me, maybe if for some reason I need to listen in stereo I might grab it, but otherwise I'm going to be listening to my CD4 conversion.

Anyways, this has inspired me to start a quad podcast, the quadcast, which is an idea I've been kicking around for a while, and have decided to do as a youtube channel. The first episode is all about this quad mix, and the dvd-a, and the different formats it was released on, and a bit of analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1OA81R41_0

10. Thanks Clint Eastwood, Snood, fredblue, theCharm thanked for this post
    400 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have the stereo mix on vinyl but that was essentially my experience with this album. While I understand the frustration with the "less than ideal" quad source, and elements of the packaging/labeling are odd at times as noted, I give this a 7 overall. The quad mix and the music itself are interesting enough to warrant that. I'll get my money's worth with occasional listens over time (both quad and stereo), so that's good enough for me.

12. Thanks fredblue thanked for this post
    Likes fredblue liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted 8 on this one. I like the music on King Arthur better. But this is still very good. Glad to have it.

14. Likes fredblue liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star DuncanS's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocialRecommendation Second Class
    Post Thanks / Like

From the moment I saw Rick Wakeman play a track on the Old Grey Whistle Test, I knew I wanted this album, sadly my younger brother beat me to it and got it on cassette. I have this on SQ Quad Vinyl. So I had to get this 4.0 release. Its a 9 for the music, a 7 for the sound quality (it is an old album), and a 7-8 for the 4.0 mix. So an 8 overall from me.

As an aside. The first time I listened to it I thought it was a vinyl transfer and decode of the SQ, but I don't now, as the noises I originally though were surface noise I am pretty sure are the Leslie speakers - which always produced a lot of rumbling swooshing noise akin to that from vinyl when mic'ed up. Plus we have Neil Wilkes statement the 4.0 was from the master tape.
    254 SACD (219 Multi, 35 Stereo), 218 DVD-Audio/DTS/DD, 27 Blu-ray Audio (19 Multi, 8 Stereo), 14 SQ LPs, 2218 plain old stereo CDs

16. Thanks Snood thanked for this post
    Likes Snood liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdrive
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Post Thanks / Like

This is chamber/pop/rock in quad at it's finest.I always enjoyed this disc and had it in stereo before aquiring it in SQ.

This A&M quad disc is a very good mix compared to others by that label.

As far as the source goes, I've heard worse, I can't and won't complain.I thank Neil for his work in bringing this quad to us consumers.It sounds pretty clean to me.

This is an imaginative album and my favourite quad disc from Wakeman.

I give this an easy 8.

btw . Someone sometime back on a prior post wanted to know how to tell if the A&M quad album was SQ ? This album did not have the gold SQ sticker to my knowledge.But it was the only disc that did have SQ in print. (pic)20150718_154323.jpg20150718_154251.jpg

18. Thanks Snood, Lute, fredblue thanked for this post
    Likes Snood, DuncanS, himey, Lute liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I rated this an 8 always loved this album on vinyl. Great to hear the moog and organ in surround sound.

20. Thanks rtbluray, Snood thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray, Snood, fizzywiggs41 liked this post