Radiohead "Paranoid Android" in DPLII

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Playing "Paranoid Android" from Radiohead's "OK Computer" album through Dolby Pro Logic II decoder - the rear channel separation is so incredibly good and clear, that it could easily pass for a discrete 5.1 mix. I've even often wondered whether maybe Nigel Godrich mixed it in 5.1, then folded it down to matrixed stereo. :)

I doubt he matrixed anything, but it sounds worth a listen. What were your DPL II settings?

You may be aware of this, but any stereo recording containing significant shifted or relative out of phase information which is then played through a Dolby Pro Logic decoder will contribute to determining what parts of the stereo signal get steered to the rear channels.

Since Johnny uses lots of guitar effects employing phase shift in that song what you're hearing is not surprising.

Speaking as a recording engineer I would have to say that I'd be very surprised if Nigel intentionally put in extra out of phase information to the stereo mix including using any kind of encoder as this type of thing is typically actively avoided by engineers for music mixes destined for consumer stereo audio only formats.

Not that many care about mono reproduction anymore but some of the avoidance by audio engineers to have significant out of phase components in the recording, particularly when using lots of drum mics for instance, came from what would typically be interpreted as unpleasant effects when such a recording was played back in mono. A lot of punch could be lost and the bottom end could sound gutless etc.

I agree that it seems strange and unlikely that any audio engineer mixing music for CD/vinyl/tape in 1997 would even be thinking about potential DPLII upmixing benefits, but on the other hand - wow, this upmix sounds pretty amazing for what is likely to be a result of happy coincidence!

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by posting this here, but here's a FLAC of just the right surround channel from "Paranoid Android", for those who'd like to take a listen: http://1drv.ms/18GABEq
(I assume posting copyrighted material is generally a no-no, but I'm hoping that posting just a single rear channel derived from DPLII is derivative enough to be considered fair use for illustrating a point. Moderators, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

What impresses me about this DPLII upmix is how well individual instruments and voices are isolated in the rear channels, almost discrete-like. There's little to no bleeding of the lead vocal and drums into the rear channels during the entire song.

Specific examples of well isolated elements:
00:00 - 02:12: percussion (maracas?) and electric guitar(s) only
02:22 - 02:31: twice you can hear a very audible vocal "huh-huh" over the bass line - I don't think I ever even noticed that before until I listened to this channel alone!
03:33 - 05:38: backing vocals completely dominate the rear channels during the mellow "Rain down..." segment

This is a little better than the average DPLII upmix, is it not?

Has anyone had a chance to listen?

BTW, I forgot to respond to Mike: my settings are DPLII Music mode, with Panorama Off, Dimension -2 (range: -3 to 3) and Center Width 5 (range: 0 to 7). But honestly, the effect is so strong on this track that you could easily hear it in DPLII Movie mode too.

Will give it a try this weekend hopefully.....Snood just saw the thread.

Thank you citizen

BTW, I forgot to respond to Mike: my settings are DPLII Music mode, with Panorama Off, Dimension -2 (range: -3 to 3) and Center Width 5 (range: 0 to 7). But honestly, the effect is so strong on this track that you could easily hear it in DPLII Movie mode too.

Just spinning it up now. Yamaha AV amp?

Wow, only about a minute and a half in - clear guitar in rear left! I usually have Dimension as STD (0 in the -3 to 3 range) but -2 sounds pretty good here. I also like to eliminate the centre channel. I've heard worse official surround mixes! I remember No Surprises sounding good before, so will give that a go next I reckon.

My favorite part is from 3:30 to 5:30 where the backing vocals completely fill up the surround channels. I've also heard much inferior "discrete" surround mixes than this DPLII one. :)

BTW, my receiver is a Panasonic SA-XR57, one of the last fully digital Class D receivers/amps Panasonic made before discontinuing the line. It's not a warm sounding amp, but it's very crisp and accurate.

Just tried it with those DPLII settings. Sounds pretty cool! Thanks! This album definitely needs to be listened to in surround. I would sure love Radiohead's studio albums to be reissued in 5.1.

Listening to Subterranean Homesick Alien as I write..... :51banana:

Received my long overdue replacement CD for OK Computer yesterday.. The copy I'd purchased in the late 90s was simply "unrippable" due to all the handling and abuse it'd taken over the years. So many "campfire" party nights back then. :friday:

The new FLAC I made out of it plays wonderfully in DPLII !!

:51banana:

Back