• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Need power cord for SC-8700 (SA-870).

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powercord21

I'm in great need of a power cord for my vintage Panasonic SC-8700 (SA-870) receiver. Please let me know if you have one and the price. Many thanks, Ron

That was my first stop and they said they couldn't even find a record on this old product. Surprising, huh? Ron...

Power cords are just simple a/c lines, and can be made from an old cord pretty easy. If it was hardwired in any electronic repair place can put in anew one, or if it was detachable, that I don't think is the case, it still can be replaced. Two wires is all it takes, usually just a 15 amp line is good enough.

This takes an unusual power cord with male leads on each end. Lots of these units were sold back in "the day," leaving me a little surprised and disappointed no one here has an old, original power cord laying around. But thanks for your suggestion. Ron...

Could you post a picture of the back? I tried a lot of searching and couldn't find a pic or manual. I have a box of odd power cords somewhere.

Thanks for the response. I'm off tomorrow and will get a couple pictures of the back and post it here. Thank you, Ron!

This takes an unusual power cord with male leads on each end. Lots of these units were sold back in "the day," leaving me a little surprised and disappointed no one here has an old, original power cord laying around. But thanks for your suggestion. Ron...

Why can't you just have one made up? Any electrician can do it.

Here are a few pictures of the back of my Panasonic SC-8700 (SA-870) receiver that I need an original power cord for. You can see (I hope) that the cord going into the receiver has two male connections just like the end that plugs into the external power source. If anyone has this cord and would like to sell it, please let me know. Thank you, Ron.

Attachments

• DSC_0029.JPG
    DSC_0029.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_0026.JPG
    DSC_0026.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_0031.JPG
    DSC_0031.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 94
I am going to assume that you are not in North America or Japan, otherwise you would recognise standard AC plugs for 100-120 volts, 60 Hz. Those are for plugging in your tape deck or turntable and aren't necessary, just plug your components into the wall. I am guessing that you are using a transformer or inverter to use this receiver.

Vibes: Well, you made me smile. Yes, I'm in North America. But I'm not schooled in electronics and didn't recognize these as AC plugs. But thank you for the not-so-gentle "heads up." If this great website had a "Novice" or "Beginners" forum, I would have logged in there. I used this receiver for years when I was in college and just recently pulled it out of the bottom of my closet after many years of storage. I'm anxious to get it going again (it was working fine when I stored it), but I don't have a power cord or even see where it would connect to the receiver. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Ron.

Hi Ron, the power cord is that black squiggle snaking from right of center to the bottom left of your first picture. If the end is missing, buy any standard AC plug from (insert your favourite hardware store here). If you have too short a wire, and you don't feel confident in your soldering skills, your local techy guy/gal can help for a reasonable cost and a half hour of their time. Sorry if I sounded snarky.:)

Hi Vibes: Well, I'm feeling extremely foolish. That wire you refer to at right center was neatly wrapped around an external antenna device with the end plug completely out of sight and I've assumed all along that it was an antenna wire. But after reading your message this morning I took another look, unwrapped everything, and there it was--an intact, uncut and probably fully functional power cord. And on top of that, the external antenna is wired up and also appears original to the receiver. So while I feel extraordinarily foolish at the moment, I think it will pass. In the next couple of days I'm going to pull my speakers out of storage, get everything assembled, and see if this vintage piece still works as well as it did many, many years ago. I'm optimistic that it will (don't know why) and I've got a special place in my garage to set it up if it does. Many thanks for your help, Vibes! Ron...

Back