SACDs Pass the 10,000 Mark - Titles Released to Date

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meatballs!!? :ugham:

Interestingly, one guy admitted that he listens in Mono most of the time. He's probably refering to his iPad or soundbar. Now, there's nothing wrong with that. But... what was depressing was that nobody (except the initiator of the thread) had anything to say about surround recordings...at least nothing positive. And this was a whole community of diehard fans of classical music. Perhaps nothing new about this since music labels have done such a horrendous job of getting good products & info about surround sound out to consumers. (Yep, I'm thinking MoFi, Sony and.....) But... it's still pretty astonishing.
I just gave my 2 bits worth in a genteel manner. :banana:

Brett, little did they realize that they were in the presence of a true classicist with a sick penchant for heavy metal who mournerd bitterly for three days upon the passing of Lemmy Kilmister.

Surround for the masses...Brett?

Most of the masses are UNWASHED anyway!

Let 'em eat CROW and a 'frozen' chiquita :banana:

Hee! Did you leave them a banana, I hope? :)

-- Jim (QQers: We few, we proud, spreading peace, hope, and funky potassium)

Oh yeah! I'm so sweet & charming when it comes to Quad.
I'm sure it all went down as pleasantly as a frothy, banana smoothie...all peachie keen! :beer2

Brett, little did they realize that they were in the presence of a true classicist with a sick penchant for heavy metal who mournerd bitterly for three days upon the passing of Lemmy Kilmister.

Surround for the masses...Brett?

Most of the masses are UNWASHED anyway!

Let 'em eat CROW and a 'frozen' chiquita :banana:

I showed my true colors, Ralphie dear. I was right out in front, mourning Lemmy's passing.

But when I think about all those classical Mch SACDs that Bissie, Channel, PentaTone...are producing for Classicists like myself, it rubs my fur the wrong way to hear those folks' attitude towards it all! I mean what the...!!! :kitty::kitty:

Yep, there are some diagonal pans. And I realize some QQers have been more impressed with other remixes/remasterings. But...it's still a fun Quad mix and the fidelity sounds great to my ears. This is after all... The Isley Bros!! Like Adam, I am head over heels in LOVE with their music!

So Clint, you have to ask yourself one question... "Do I feel lucky?" LOL!! :cool:

Seriously, is any SACD worth $100+!!? It really depends on how much this music means to you. I guess the old saying should be "Beauty is in the ear of the beholder." ;)

Actually, I am not saying you (or anyone else) must go out and buy this one. I hate to see anyone have to pay such exorbitant prices. But rather, what I want to say is... For me, this is one of those SACD Quad reissues that really makes me yearn for more of this music to be released on SACD in 4.0. Sure, I agree things are better now with Mch releases than a few years ago. But the ache is STILL there... :scream

"Lute....trust your feelings"...the force was strong with you and Adam..I purchased the disc..What It Comes Down To is You Walk Your Way and Listen To The Music in the Sunshine and Summer Breeze ....If You Were There on The Highways Of My Life and saw That Lady you would say Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight

Brian,
Sa-cd.net total of 10,661 refers to ALL formats. The SACD total was 10,308 at time of closing as new entries ceased at the end of July, 2015.

Thanks,
Rick

Ah, so it was only 10,308 SACDs before the sa-cd.net closed. We will be at 11,000 SACDs before too long. Amazing.

We passed through the 11,000 title mark probably a month or so ago.

This is really an accomplishment considering the founding company gave up the gauntlet over TEN YEARS AGO. :mad:

Imagine if they put forth just a little bit more effort after the RS500 issue. I think SACD would have negated subsequent DVD-A, DVD-V, and BDA releases over the past 10 years.

This is really an accomplishment considering the founding company gave up the gauntlet over TEN YEARS AGO. :mad:

Imagine if they put forth just a little bit more effort after the RS500 issue. I think SACD would have negated subsequent DVD-A, DVD-V, and BDA releases over the past 10 years.

Actually there were two founding companies - Philips and Sony - when it came to SACD and DSD development.

And this week, Sony launched DSD 128 Music Streaming Over the Internet and a Vinyl LP to DSD 128 conversion product shipping in the Spring. Good to see their interest continuing.

YESSS!!! It is amazing!!! They wrote the death notices' too soon!! :yikes :D

..When you look back, it was a pretty ballsy move by Sony, a whole new optical disc based music delivery format designed to kill off CD.. and ahead of its time, one could argue it is maturing now as a technology.. well kinda.. :eek:

Tbh, it put me right off when they first announced SACD, to a poor kid it meant getting another new expensive disc player... and I'd just leveraged my ass to get a fancy new LaserDisc player that would do both sides of the disc so I wouldn't have to drag my carcass off the sofa unless it was a trick play CAV job or the film went on too long for 2 sides of CLV.... DOH!!.. but I missed the point, that was the point! They wanted you (me.. well... all of US!!) to buy a new Sony SACD player and new Sony discs - they had a whole setup where they controlled. made and sold both the hardware and software and they were ready to rape and pillage unwitting consumers like little old me!!! :yikes

...I've been told by someone who "was there" that Hybrids were an elastoplast to fix a haemorrhage to Sony, they wanted to introduce the single layer as the only layer to kill off CD.. but then hastily had to work with Phillips on perfecting hybrids and rushing them to market when their plan to take over the world with SACD didn't go to, umm, plan...! I don't know how true that all is/was?

I remember it was stereo only in What Hi Fi's first report on it too.. (SACD I mean).. and that was a bit of a turn off.. I was already well into Dolby Digital (with my little outboard decoder and AC-3 RF demodulator!) and just on the verge of getting into DTS.. so 2-channels were already starting to feel a little, shall we say "underwhelming" maybe.. time passed, i forgot about SACD and after a few DTS experiments it became apparent that with DVD-A I could do that fancy surround thing SACD did but all on my regular DVD player in Dolby and DTS.. YEAY!! :bounce:

..and so even more time passed and it took little old Sir Elton to get me to even buy an SACD disc..! :yikes
...by which time I was a dyed in the wool DVD-A man! (I had already got a neat little collection of DVD-A's and a few DVD-V/DTS things together..
but it was several more years after that even, before Universal disc players became cheap enough over here to have both DVD-A and SACD in one player.. and that, as they say ladies and gentlemen, was "IT".. which was about 18 months before I signed up here and drove you all to distraction and the rest is history, or her story.. well its my story!! Haha... :eek:

Sorry for the rambling on (what's new eh :eek: ) I imagine this will get moved to a thread "rambling bullshit hazy crazy memories about SACD that nobody will ever read".. ;)

Oh I do love a Xmas brandy! HIC! :p

Cheers to all my friends at QQ! Here's to 10,000 more years of SACD! :D :friday:

Sounds like ADAM'S BIG ADVENTURE and I can envision a BBC mini series with Pee Wee Herman* playing the indomitable 5.1er.

And now that you've come FULL CIRCLE (Back to SQ/QS Vinyl), so you don't have to 'exert' yourself by extracting yourself from the sofa to turn the record over, perhaps it would be in your best interest to adopt a little dog named "Speck" who can turn the vinyl over for you. http://images.fanpop.com/images/ima...g-Adventure-pee-wee-herman-744588_500_284.jpg

*or Dame Judy Dench in DRAG:yikes

Aside from the issue of content....

On January 1, 2016, there were a combination of 10,642 SACD titles listed at sa-cd.net and hraudio.net (a continuation of the sa-cd.net site). As of September 14, 2016, there are now 11,166 SACD titles at hraudio.net. Therefore, 524 new SACD titles were added for the first 9 months of 2016 on hraudio.net (compared to a total of 795 new SACD titles added for entire 2015).

In addition, another 110 or so new SACD titles were released in Hong Kong that are, for the most part, not listed at hraudio.net. If a HK SACD title was added to hraudio.net, it would not be counted in that 110 total.

So, 524 + 110 = 634 new SACD titles as of 9/14/2016 (compared to about 950 from 2015)

For comparison, less than 500 Blu-ray Audio titles are listed at hraudio.net.

As of this post, there are 11,356 SACD titles listed ay hraudio.net. A total of 714 new SACD titles were added for 2016.

In addition, a minimum of 165 new SACD titles were released in Hong Kong in 2016.

Therefore, 714 + 165 = at least 879 new SACD were released in 2016.

As of this post, there are 11,356 SACD titles listed ay hraudio.net. A total of 714 new SACD titles were added for 2016.

In addition, a minimum of 165 new SACD titles were released in Hong Kong in 2016.

Therefore, 714 + 165 = at least 879 new SACD were released in 2016.
But how many of them are surround?

Back