SACDs Pass the 10,000 Mark - Titles Released to Date

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today being the last day of September (and some of you are already in October as I type this), it is time to summarize the release activities of SACD since my last post. Given that sa-cd.net has since splintered into a new site at hraudio.net, it has been a challenge to obtain a somewhat accurate accounting. So, here goes --

As of this post, there have been at least 710 SACD titles released in 2015. How accurate is this number? Probably within 10 of the real/actual total. To put this into perspective, there were 814 SACD released in all of 2014. The number of new SACD releases in the last 3 months of 2015 will determine if the mark of 1,000 SACD released in one year will be eclipsed.

Interesting indeed. :)

Between January 1, 2015 and January 1, 2016, a total of 795 new SACD titles were added to sa-cd.net/HRAudio.net. In addition, approximately another 150 (likely an undercount) SACD titles were released in Hong Kong in 2015. So, while there were about 950 SACD titles (again, likely an undercount) released worldwide in 2015, I do not think the actual total topped 1,000. Seems like SACD is far from dying.

Between January 1, 2015 and January 1, 2016, a total of 795 new SACD titles were added to sa-cd.net/HRAudio.net. In addition, approximately another 150 (likely an undercount) SACD titles were released in Hong Kong in 2015. So, while there were about 950 SACD titles (again, likely an undercount) released worldwide in 2015, I do not think the actual total topped 1,000. Seems like SACD is far from dying.

While those numbers are indeed encouraging, soundboy, except for classical and the rebirth of QUAD SACDs via Audio Fidelity's gallant efforts, the number of new multichannel Rock/Pop/Jazz/World SACD releases is embarassingly paltry in comparison.

I also noticed that Universal's BD~A project, while promising at first, has also dwindled and there are NO new SHM~SACD announcements from Universal Japan.

I believe that the promise of a disc that could not only play on a regular CD player but could carry both stereo and multichannel layers has somehow been compromised.

While I continue to support Stereo SACD purchases, sometimes reluctantly, especially when I KNOW a QUAD or 5.1 master exists, I wish both MoFi and Analogue productions would reconsider their positions and revitalize SACD's FULL capabilities analogous to Audio Fidelity's renewed interest in providing ALL layers whenever 'feasible.'

No, soundboy, SACD is NOT dying but is also not fulfilling its full and intended potential........providing the purchaser with the option of playing whichever layer he/she sees fit....especially at the premium pricing we are being charged for the luxury.

I've been revisiting the Isley Bros. SACD recently. I just can't understand why anyone would want to hear it any other way than surround!!!

While those numbers are indeed encouraging, soundboy, except for classical and the rebirth of QUAD SACDs via Audio Fidelity's gallant efforts, the number of new multichannel Rock/Pop/Jazz/World SACD releases is embarassingly paltry in comparison.

I also noticed that Universal's BD~A project, while promising at first, has also dwindled and there are NO new SHM~SACD announcements from Universal Japan.

I believe that the promise of a disc that could not only play on a regular CD player but could carry both stereo and multichannel layers has somehow been compromised.

While I continue to support Stereo SACD purchases, sometimes reluctantly, especially when I KNOW a QUAD or 5.1 master exists, I wish both MoFi and Analogue productions would reconsider their positions and revitalize SACD's FULL capabilities analogous to Audio Fidelity's renewed interest in providing ALL layers whenever 'feasible.'

No, soundboy, SACD is NOT dying but is also not fulfilling its full and intended potential........providing the purchaser with the option of playing whichever layer he/she sees fit....especially at the premium pricing we are being charged for the luxury.

I understand what you are saying about new multichannel releases being "statistically" paltry... BUT...its been abundant enough for members to have to choose what releases they are going to buy due so many choices they have...afterall the entire hi rez market is a niche spot in the music industry...and surround is another sub set within the niche market...so even though the numbers you mention aren't that significant...the real world effect is the opposite...there are quite a few options...

As far as price goes...a standalone SACD isn't really that expensive if you shop around...I usually pay around $25 for a new release....which I feel is reasonable...we just can't lose sight of the reality of being in a hobby that is an ultra niche product...we have no real leverage...to be candid I'm extremely encouraged by the last 2 years...before that I spent my time chasing out of print titles at "real" premium prices...paying $100 for a single out of print title like Avalon was pretty common...so paying the $25 for 1 release is progress for me..I'm just very pleased with the progress we have made recently...you can either be optimistic like I am...or join the group that thinks that all disc based mediums are almost dead...of course I look at life differently these days...I'm not wasting my time with regrets or worrying about the future...I'm trying to live everyday like it's my last and smell the roses..instead of complaining about what I don't have....

I've been revisiting the Isley Bros. SACD recently. I just can't understand why anyone would want to hear it any other way than surround!!!

Oh isn't it fabulous! :D

I'm hoping AF can release their other Quads (Live It Up, Heat Is On, Harvest For The World, Go For Your Guns) on Surround SACD!! :p

Oh isn't it fabulous! :D

I'm hoping AF can release their other Quads (Live It Up, Heat Is On, Harvest For The World, Go For Your Guns) on Surround SACD!! :p

Oh Adam! This is one of those albums that makes me just ache to hear all 4 of those "other Quads" you mentioned so much!!!
It's THAT FABULOUS! :51banana:

PLEASE Audio Fidelity! There's some SERIOUSLY GOOD MUSIC that needs your loving 4.0 touch.

Oh Adam! This is one of those albums that makes me just ache to hear all 4 of those "other Quads" you mentioned so much!!!

PLEASE Audio Fidelity! There's some SERIOUSLY GOOD MUSIC that needs your loving 4.0 touch.

I really looked closely at purchasing that disc a year ago...it was hard to find...and of course pretty expensive...but I would have paid the price for it then but I was seeing mixed opinions on it...to pay $100 for a disc I needed more affirmative comments...check out the comments on this disc in the poll HERE

I can relieve your aches... :eek:

I really looked closely at purchasing that disc a year ago...it was hard to find...and of course pretty expensive...but I would have paid the price for it then but I was seeing mixed opinions on it...to pay $100 for a disc I needed more affirmative comments...check out the comments on this disc in the poll HERE

Clint, Clint, Clint... when have I ever let you down?

Ok, forget about that time.. ;)

..oh and the other time.. :eek:

Forget that the Isleys SACD has been reported as having rear L&R channels swapped.. I enjoyed it for years in blissful ignorance!

I've enjoyed it the right way around, the wrong way around and the wrong way around that's the right way around.. all night wrong..! :D

...fwiw the channel layout is also exactly the same as the SACD on my 1973 SQ Quadraphonic LP with rear L&R seemingly not correlating to the front L&R.. plus channel levels are not balanced and appear out of whack... but hey man it was the 70's and they were probably all high or something when they did it, so I think that is just how they mixed it with fancy schmancy diagonal pans all over the place and a more spaced out rather than scientific approach to the Quad mixing.. but I realise this is based on fact rather than conjecture.. the fact being the mix as it is on SQ LP and SACD is the same. I've never heard the Q8, they probably got that right. Maybe. Definitely. Could be. Who cares!

You walk your way.. (you walk your way).. and I'll walk mine (I walk mine) :walker

Think about it :)

"We are children.. looking at the world through Diamond Eyes.."

How I wish AF would get all the Edgar Winter/Rick Derringer/Johnny Winter Quad stuff out on SACD.. its not 10,000 sacd's, it's not even 10.. but man they are worth 10,000 to me :eek:

How I wish AF would get all the Edgar Winter/Rick Derringer/Johnny Winter Quad stuff out on SACD.. its not 10,000 sacd's, it's not even 10.. but man they are worth 10,000 to me :eek:

yeah, that would be awesome... :)

Oh, man, that would be so great...

This is good news, although if we had a set of scales, you know those legal things where the blind lady is in the middle and there are two trays balancing on either side of her, I would have to say that the 900+ titles released in Hong Kong and most of the others from around the world (and here) would not pull the scale down farther than the AF Surround SACD series of the last year.

To me, that handful of 5.1/4.0 Hybrid SACDs pull a lot more weight than all of the others released around the world. And to that I say "Go Marshall! Make More!!" :)

Yep, there are some diagonal pans. And I realize some QQers have been more impressed with other remixes/remasterings. But...it's still a fun Quad mix and the fidelity sounds great to my ears. This is after all... The Isley Bros!! Like Adam, I am head over heels in LOVE with their music!

So Clint, you have to ask yourself one question... "Do I feel lucky?" LOL!! :cool:

Seriously, is any SACD worth $100+!!? It really depends on how much this music means to you. I guess the old saying should be "Beauty is in the ear of the beholder." ;)

Actually, I am not saying you (or anyone else) must go out and buy this one. I hate to see anyone have to pay such exorbitant prices. But rather, what I want to say is... For me, this is one of those SACD Quad reissues that really makes me yearn for more of this music to be released on SACD in 4.0. Sure, I agree things are better now with Mch releases than a few years ago. But the ache is STILL there... :scream

This is good news, although if we had a set of scales, you know those legal things where the blind lady is in the middle and there are two trays balancing on either side of her, I would have to say that the 900+ titles released in Hong Kong and most of the others from around the world (and here) would not pull the scale down farther than the AF Surround SACD series of the last year.

To me, that handful of 5.1/4.0 Hybrid SACDs pull a lot more weight than all of the others released around the world. And to that I say "Go Marshall! Make More!!" :)

My sentiments, exactly, Jon. I've been e~mailing Marshall Blonstein all year praising his efforts, feeding him recommendations (some of which have been released) and encouraging him to release more Quad and 5.1 SACDs. Meanwhile, my emails to MoFi failed as they shot me back a response that they had NO interest in multichannel.

Hopefully, Dutton Vocalion, which just released four QUAD two~fers seems to be our only NEW hope in getting these older QUAD titles reissued and I've been emailing them, as well.

The ultimate litmus test, however, will be how well these QUAD titles sell. I'm afraid if they don't meet expectations, there may be a downside because ultimately, all these reissue companies are in business to make money.....THE bottom line!

Back