SACDs Pass the 10,000 Mark - Titles Released to Date

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, there are some diagonal pans. And I realize some QQers have been more impressed with other remixes/remasterings. But...it's still a fun Quad mix and the fidelity sounds great to my ears. This is after all... The Isley Bros!! Like Adam, I am head over heels in LOVE with their music!

So Clint, you have to ask yourself one question... "Do I feel lucky?" LOL!! :cool:

Seriously, is any SACD worth $100+!!? It really depends on how much this music means to you. I guess the old saying should be "Beauty is in the ear of the beholder." ;)

Actually, I am not saying you (or anyone else) must go out and buy this one. I hate to see anyone have to pay such exorbitant prices. But rather, what I want to say is... For me, this is one of those SACD Quad reissues that really makes me yearn for more of this music to be released on SACD in 4.0. Sure, I agree things are better now with Mch releases than a few years ago. But the ache is STILL there... :scream

You know, the funny thing is, I was reading for yonks how the SQ system and diagonal pans (and reverb, for that matter) was a no-no.. and in the last 6 months I've encountered shit loads of old SQ records loaded with (among snap crackle and pop,.. and a load of crosstalk) reverb inherent in the mix and a fair few diagonal pans (disclaimer: international or otherwise, bah! I've stopped caring) and that daffy looking little Surround Master navigates its way around them like a true smoothy in pleb's clothing.

Ps. Clint feels lucky.. ;) ..watch this space.

Pps. I think some of this stuff is worth more than gold.. but then the sheer unadulterated pleasure great surround music can bring is hard to really put a price on, its an experience.. and I'm feckin mad fer it :yikes

My sentiments, exactly, Jon. I've been e~mailing Marshall Blonstein all year praising his efforts, feeding him recommendations (some of which have been released) and encouraging him to release more Quad and 5.1 SACDs. Meanwhile, my emails to MoFi failed as they shot me back a response that they had NO interest in multichannel.

Hopefully, Dutton Vocalion, which just released four QUAD two~fers seems to be our only NEW hope in getting these older QUAD titles reissued and I've been emailing them, as well.

The ultimate litmus test, however, will be how well these QUAD titles sell. I'm afraid if they don't meet expectations, there may be a downside because ultimately, all these reissue companies are in business to make money.....THE bottom line!

Mo-Fo can go MO-F*** themselves as far as I'm concerned-- and put that in their pipe and smoke it.

Sorry.. but I will not be buying another SACD from them until/unless they do some Quad/Surround, that response they gave you Ralph was just A-Grade BULLSHIT.

Really.....do you have a list?

MoFi SUCKS the BIG wad, Adam. They've just released some Carly Simon STEREO SACDs (like her brilliant first album) which had CD~4 discrete vinyl releases and I AM ROYALLY PISSED, too.

I'll probably grab those since now I know there won't be any multichannel projects coming to the marketplace...I have the multichannel No Secrets...and I see THIS stereo ONE is in stock now....Hotcakes and Anticipation will probably be purchased as well...I share your frustration with MoFi tying up all these titles...worse than just being stereo some don't see the marketplace at all..

I'll probably grab those since now I know there won't be any multichannel projects coming to the marketplace...I have the multichannel No Secrets...and I see THIS stereo ONE is in stock now....Hotcakes and Anticipation will probably be purchased as well...I share your frustration with MoFi tying up all these titles...worse than just being stereo some don't see the marketplace at all..

I believe Carly's Anticipation was also released on DVD~A 5.1 by Warners.

Yes, Clint, frustration is an apt word.

Oh.. news to me! (but we never stop learning so if you can find me a copy please do let me know! :p )

Silly me......it wasn't even released in CD~4. I must be hallucinating. But A Best of Carly Simon WAS released in CD~4 so wonder if AF could tackle that reissue?

Silly me......it wasn't even released in CD~4. I must be hallucinating. But A Best of Carly Simon WAS released in CD~4 so wonder if AF could tackle that reissue?

Oh you silly billy Ralphie walphie.. :p ..

The Breast Of Carly Simon was already released on DVD-A back in the day-ay..
it must have been cold out in swingin' London that day..

"You're pimply the breast..
Better than all the rest.." :music

Hey guys. First off, the only Carly Simon DVD-A released was "No Secrets". The rest of her quad LP's (Carly Simon, Hotcakes, Playing Possum and Greatest Hits) were never done in DVD-A or SACD.

As for MFSL, those buggers are on my shit list. Brad Miller would never allow these losers to trash the multi-channel heritage of that label if he were still around. They will never get another dime out of me, and I was a long time MFSL customer, going way back to the first LPs in the '80s, the Gold CD's of the '90s, and many of their newer releases.

For them to quad-block all of these great former quad titles and blatantly spew that they have no interest in providing what their customers want is total bullshit.

I will also cease purchasing ANYTHING from Music Direct. What's the point? Why should I support them when there are other places to get stereo and surround titles, like Elusive Disc and Acoustic Sounds.

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in here...........................:mad:

Hey guys. First off, the only Carly Simon DVD-A released was "No Secrets". The rest of her quad LP's (Carly Simon, Hotcakes, Playing Possum and Greatest Hits) were never done in DVD-A or SACD.

As for MFSL, those buggers are on my shit list. Brad Miller would never allow these losers to trash the multi-channel heritage of that label if he were still around. They will never get another dime out of me, and I was a long time MFSL customer, going way back to the first LPs in the '80s, the Gold CD's of the '90s, and many of their newer releases.

For them to quad-block all of these great former quad titles and blatantly spew that they have no interest in providing what their customers want is total bullshit.

I will also cease purchasing ANYTHING from Music Direct. What's the point? Why should I support them when there are other places to get stereo and surround titles, like Elusive Disc and Acoustic Sounds.

Right ON, Jon! Wouldn't Carly Simon's Greatest Hits qualify for an Audio Fidelity 5.1 release if the tapes are in decent shape? That title was not announced, AFAIK, from MoFi. Time to email Marshall again with that request.

I admit, I don't understand the history here...and as a result I don't understand your comment about Music Direct. :) You mean cause they tend to overcharge?

I admit, I don't understand the history here...and as a result I don't understand your comment about Music Direct. :) You mean cause they tend to overcharge?

Well afaik Gene, Brad Miller was THE man behind MFSL and he by all accounts was a true lifelong lover of Quad (a life very sadly cut short afaik..) later down the road he did all those wonderful DTS CDs with Quad stuff on it, with several of his own productions like all those fun "Mystic Moods" Quads (check em out if you haven't already?) and of course all the great Quad>DTS CD releases like Band On The Run, Venus & Mars, Jasmine Nightdreams, Poco/Crazy Eyes, etc (that I shall cherish and take to the grave with me!) he may be gone but I imagine to long-time Quaddies he will never be forgotten.. I was buying their stuff long before I found this marvellous place, some great stuff, it always had an air of quality about it.

Oh ps. I've no idea about Music Direct, they're a bit of an "indirect" way for us Brits to shop for music, donchya know.. :eek:

GOS, Music Direct owns MoFi and their current policy is NO multichannel SACDs.

As far as my personal dealings with Music Direct......they've ALWAYS been wonderful, at least to me, and I've gotten some great advice from them and also some GREAT prices (sometimes 20% off on MoFi and AP releases). I can't fault the salespeople as they have NO input on MoFi releases.

Doubtful their policy concerning mch SACDs will change EVER.........I've certainly emailed them several times and their first and foremost LOVE is Vinyl......just like Analogue Productions. SACD is an 'afterthought' and considering how long it takes them to release Stereo SACDs, I can only imagine it would take them years to get a proper multichannel SACD released.

Yeah, it's just too many Quad titles now that we are at risk of never seeing release because of MFSL ignoring the surround market. It's always been a problem, but just recently the MFSL SACDs announced Doobies, Santana, Chicago, and Carly Simon is the final straw. I must say that it was also a bit bothersome that Warner Japan issued an SACD of Donny Hathaway's "Extension of a Man" and never considered that quad mix that they could have included. It's not only MFSL who will never get a dime from me.

It is insulting to the format of SACD which was designed to have a surround layer included. And it's insulting to the works of art as albums, and it's simply careless to ignore fans of an album when they are paying top dollar for a product - to not give them the best product that you can.

I have contacts to get promos of several labels' product. I've gotten promos from MFSL and AF in previous years. It never seemed a great value to get a slightly improved mastering for $30+ at least not in the deep recession we just found ourselves in for the past 6 years.

Then AF decides to try something, and include 4.0 and 5.1 layers when they are there and available. While they can't get approval on everything that they would like to do, it shows an effort to give the buyer value for their money, and give that buyer something that they did not already own! And it shows off what a quad mix from the 70s sounds like in high-res.

I've now been buying every SACD which AF releases that includes a surround layer. It is a company that is making an effort to add value to their product. Where MFSL is simply banking on their name. They had better be careful and not over-extend themselves financially, as we've seen some giants come crashing back down to earth. Yes I am talking about you MFSL!!!

The other thing is that with AF releasing SACD with these multi-chan layers, it makes other labels take notice and consider doing the same. Maybe not MFSL, but we will see other companies adding quad to their product in the near future. I mean my god, sometimes the tapes are staring them in the face. I have 5 SACDs coming in the mail Weds with 4.0 layers, and one with 5.1. I have not been so inspired to spend on discs since 1984-85 when I got my first CD player. I was careful with my spending then too. I got The Final Cut, Blood on the Tracks, and Friday Night in San Francisco as my first three CDs. It's kinda like the same excitement now, I am choosing carefully and getting these winners in a new format just like it's 1984 and 85 all over again.

The other good news is that Audio Fidelity has (if they choose to) at least two more good years of quad titles available to them before there is any worry of a sound, performance, or musical quality drop.

And I don't need anything from Music Direct. I'm happy with the discount houses such as ImportCDs, Collector's Choice, & DeepDiscount.com offering me the lowest prices one can get, which means I am simply ordering five discs at a time rather than the three I would have bought. Yes, at the discounted prices found out there on the net, I can buy more Audio Fidelity SACDs than I first realized.

quicksrt, those "SACDs" that you saw advertised recently from Warner Japan were SHM~CDs (RBCDs). ImportCd, Deep Discount and even Amazon erroneously listed them as SHM~SACDs when they were, in fact, higher quality SHM~CDs. I did order a bunch of them and they do really sound good....but they would've been better if they were SHM~SACDs, especially at the cheap asking price.

You know, the funny thing is, I was reading for yonks how the SQ system and diagonal pans (and reverb, for that matter) was a no-no.. and in the last 6 months I've encountered shit loads of old SQ records loaded with (among snap crackle and pop,.. and a load of crosstalk) reverb inherent in the mix and a fair few diagonal pans (disclaimer: international or otherwise, bah! I've stopped caring) and that daffy looking little Surround Master navigates its way around them like a true smoothy in pleb's clothing.

Ps. Clint feels lucky.. ;) ..watch this space.

Pps. I think some of this stuff is worth more than gold.. but then the sheer unadulterated pleasure great surround music can bring is hard to really put a price on, its an experience.. and I'm feckin mad fer it :yikes

I was just on a classical website the other day and the topic of Quad recordings came up. And, the silence from the other members was pathetic!! The few comments that it did get were even more pathetic. One member's comment was about how back in the 70s he worked at a record store that had a Quad system set up in store. But, it kept breaking this...and its sweet spot kept doing that... and so they ended up discouraging as many people as they were encouraging...blah blah blah...

Loads of shit is right!!! :yikes

The amount of misinformation & the sheer lack of good information on the current situation of Quad & Surround recordings on these forums is shocking.

Give me snap, crackle and pop in Quad any day of the week! LOL!!!

Last edited:
I was just on a classical website the other day and the topic of Quad recordings came up. And, the silent from the other members was pathetic!! The few comments that it did get were even more pathetic. One member's comment was about how back in the 70s he worked at a record store that had a Quad system set up in store. But, it kept breaking this...and its sweet spot kept doing that... and so they ended up discouraging as many people as they were encouraging...blah blah blah...

Loads of shit is right!!! :yikes

The amount of misinformation & the sheer lack of good information on these forums is shocking.

Give me snap, crackle and pop in Quad any day of the week! LOL!!!

Probably the same geeks with the argument that you've only TWO ears, or it's TOO expensive to add more speakers and probably the same crowd that thinks Prince Spaghetti day is Harry eating Italian!:yikes

Probably the same geeks with the argument that you've only TWO ears, or it's TOO expensive to add more speakers and probably the same crowd that thinks Prince Spaghetti day is Harry eating Italian!:yikes

Meatballs!!? :ugham:

Interestingly, one guy admitted that he listens in Mono most of the time. He's probably refering to his iPad or soundbar. Now, there's nothing wrong with that. But... what was depressing was that nobody (except the initiator of the thread) had anything to say about surround recordings...at least nothing positive. And this was a whole community of diehard fans of classical music. Perhaps nothing new about this since music labels have done such a horrendous job of getting good products & info about surround sound out to consumers. (Yep, I'm thinking MoFi, Sony and.....) But... it's still pretty astonishing.
I just gave my 2 bits worth in a genteel manner. :banana:

"We are children.. looking at the world through Diamond Eyes.."

How I wish AF would get all the Edgar Winter/Rick Derringer/Johnny Winter Quad stuff out on SACD.. its not 10,000 sacd's, it's not even 10.. but man they are worth 10,000 to me :eek:

By the way Fred, this reminded me to go check for a CD reissue of Dan Hartman's Images (haven't looked for awhile). Found a Japanese import on Amazon for about 20 bucks shipped! Thanks for the memory jog!

-- Jim

Back