QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huggy

Level
Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 45
Overall activity: 2.0%
Post Thanks / Like
Feedback Score

Default Re: New Members Only!! (Members who have never posted)

hi guys I am a new member tonight is my first time posting,so really I do not know how to post a separate post. first I am my late 50's, and I have been a quaddy since 1972, I had an old milda combo with a true quad 8 track and am-fm radio but I had to get rid of it,as you all know to track those cd-4 you need a cartridge 15-5000htz but with the SQ martix you don't, the old audio techinca at 12s which I had at one time, then there is the 14 Sa.there is a new audio techinca cartridge the AT 440MLA the updated one with new micro line which will track quad ith no problem. and it is pricey that would do an excellent job of tracking the SQ martix with no problem,I had bought a new yamaha 7.2 surround model 577 and to listen to SQ martix there is a setting on there dolby pro logic IIX and another setting in the speaker set up click on panorama and the rear speaker seem louder. I was listening to edgar winter group frankenstein and it sound just like I remember it back in the 70'sand one other group chase open up wide that does a excellent job with the trumpets going in a 360.I am posting this for those who are just getting into quad. and surround sound. so guys from I head true quadraphoic back in the 70's is different from the surround sound today??????? and today I was listening to some old Roy Orbision vinyl albums in Stereo on the old mounment label. and on my new surround that I listed above. i was blown away, since those old roy orbision are from 1964 and they only used 3 track mixing boards back them I set my surround sound to dolby pro II x and set the panorama on.I did not believe it till I heard it for myself. and if you guys have any of old roy's vinyl or even the cds take a listen, I heard roy's voice out of the front left and on only the lonely the back ground singers out of the rear right and on some songs the sax out of the rear left and the strings out of the front right. so what is the story on this. I like to know, I know since as I said they only used 3 track mixing boards back then
take care
huggy

:bump: for Huggy

Someone should be along soon to answer for ya Huggy :banana:

Hi and welcome to QQ,

It sounds like you have been having fun discovering the surround modes on your new receiver and had an early introduction into surround during the quad era.

The new matrix decoders are similar to the old quad but with different speaker layouts and decoding algorithms you will not hear what exactly was intended but it does seem to work well sometimes with encoded or non-encoded material depending on how it was mixed. The important thing is that if it sounds good to you, that is good enough and if it makes listening fun, then that is even better. Enjoy the music you have and play with the different modes until you find something you like. If you want to get serious and hear what the engineer intended then playing an encoded recording thru the proper decoder is the way to go.

Have fun

Back