Rumblings in OPPO Land?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I've been looking to join the OPPO club. Did a side job for $1000 and figured it was time. Then my college kids vehicles needed about $1000 work... :mad:@:

Still wondering what is going on in OPPO land these days; here are two questions:

1. I am observing players going at or near the prices that new units are available for; what is driving this?

2. I've read that OPPO has no plans for new models until the 4K Blu-Ray spec is finalized by late 2015; so then what are these sellers buying?

Last edited:
I've been looking to join the OPPO club. Did a side job for $1000 and figured it was time. Then my college kids vehicles needed about $1000 work... :mad:@:

Still wondering what is going on in OPPO land these days; here are two questions:

1. I am observing players going at or near the prices that new units are available for; what is driving this?

2. I've read that OOPO has no plans for new models until the 4K Blu-Ray spec is finalized by late 2015; so then what are these sellers buying?

The answer to number 1 is the quality & CS reputation. Don't know what they are dumping nor buying, unless it's the D model upgrade, as the Darbee is expensive but much less in an Oppo. or could be up to a 105?

The answer to number 1 is the quality & CS reputation. Don't know what they are dumping nor buying, unless it's the D model upgrade, as the Darbee is expensive but much less in an Oppo. or could be up to a 105?

PS, There is a guy at Avs who buys them right up, I imagine to re-sell.

Thanks they have definitely caught on as the go to choice. Oppo store sells the refurb 103 for $415 with identical warranty as a brand new one. Seeing used ones priced above that amazes me.

From QQ Happy New Year

Thanks they have definitely caught on as the go to choice. Oppo store sells the refurb 103 for $415 with identical warranty as a brand new one. Seeing used ones priced above that amazes me.

From QQ Happy New Year

I would go with a 105D (if you're willing to spend the extra $$$) as it has a Async USB In so you can hook it up to a Media Server such as JRiver or FooBar2000.

I would go with a 105D (if you're willing to spend the extra $$$) as it has a Async USB In so you can hook it up to a Media Server such as JRiver or FooBar2000.

(You know I'm a Luddite :eek:) does this mean you can stream music to and from the Oppo or just one way? Is it a wireless UpnP thing?

Once I have time I'd like to try experimenting with using my Mac as an HTPC and Surround/Hi-Res music playback gizmo but I'm open to options if an Oppo can act as the nerve centre instead?

It's pretty straight forward using the Oppo as a media center. I run Twonkyvision on my PC (upstairs office). Multichannel FLAC files are stored on a 3 TB external hard drive and are streamed wirelessly to my Oppo 103 in the family room. I'm sure there are more sophisticated (and expensive) options out there but this one has worked quite well for me for years.

From QQ Happy New Year

I see them at fleabay going for well over cost and what Oppo sells them for. PT Barnum- "There is a sucker born every minute"

I just bought a 105D and waiting for delivery. I would like to use the Async USB for Media Center input using JRiver. Does it accept multi-channel files? The specs on the Oppo website state only 2-channel.

I just bought a 105D and waiting for delivery. I would like to use the Async USB for Media Center input using JRiver. Does it accept multi-channel files? The specs on the Oppo website state only 2-channel.

While I only have a 105 here (not a 105d), the 105 accepts Stereo and Multichannel files via the 3 USB ports. Haven't tried the Async USB port yet. I'm sure it does. You can ask Oppo Tech Support to be sure.

While I only have a 105 here (not a 105d), the 105 accepts Stereo and Multichannel files via the 3 USB ports. Haven't tried the Async USB port yet. I'm sure it does. You can ask Oppo Tech Support to be sure.

And you should be able to send DSD to the Oppo over the Async USB port - correct?

And you should be able to send DSD to the Oppo over the Async USB port - correct?

Right. It should work like any other DAC with DSD playback. Requiring a PC + playback software (like JRiver) or a server like the Aria.

The Async USB on the 105EU does not accept multichannel flacs, stereo only. Oppo told me it is a hardware limitation.

A good future product from Oppo would be a multichannel DAC that does accept gapless multichannel FLAC over an async USB port and the network as well. And one that is affordable please :)

The Async USB on the 105EU does not accept multichannel flacs, stereo only. Oppo told me it is a hardware limitation.

A good future product from Oppo would be a multichannel DAC that does accept gapless multichannel FLAC over an async USB port and the network as well. And one that is affordable please :)

There are always the USB ports on the 105 models. They accept Stereo & Multichannel music files - DSD & FLAC.

On future Oppo models, I would expect to see support for Stereo & Multichannel up to DSD 256fs. That's what Oppo has been adding in their newer products like the HA-1 and HA-2 headphone amp/DACs.
But Oppo says no new disc players until 4K Blu-Ray. That could be awhile.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But does the 105D play multichannel FLAC and DSD via the Async USB (or not)? Its a [/FONT]refreshed version of the 105EU...

Back