Rumblings in OPPO Land?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are always the USB ports on the 105 models. They accept Stereo & Multichannel music files - DSD & FLAC.

On future Oppo models, I would expect to see support for Stereo & Multichannel up to DSD 256fs. That's what Oppo has been adding in their newer products like the HA-1 and HA-2 headphone amp/DACs.
But Oppo says no new disc players until 4K Blu-Ray. That could be awhile.
that s true, the future models will probably have more features.

Still I think an affordable multichannel dac would be a good business move for Oppo, tp compete with the exasound high price models. Plus file playback will be more and more the norm from what I see and read.

But you know that better than me as ypu are at the forefront of computer audio, together with Ted B.

So if you get a 105 ($499 standard unit) and stick a 3Tb USB WD drive on it full of 5.1/4.0 FLAC files, can you just browse with the remote through the files and then play them back in surround? Same with purchased DSD downloads?

So if you get a 105 ($499 standard unit) and stick a 3Tb USB WD drive on it full of purchased 5.1/4.0 FLAC files, can you just browse with the remote through the files and then play them back in surround? Same with purchased DSD downloads?

Yes.

I think the 105 is a lot more than $499, that's the 103 territory. If I am wrong, please tell me where to buy one!

Keep Calm and Have Patience

One more question Brian regarding digital download playback: when using a usb hard drive as the input to the Oppo 105 you can use either hdmi out or analog out as the connection to the amp or receiver. Correct?

One more question Brian regarding digital download playback: when using a usb hard drive as the input to the Oppo 105 you can use either hdmi out or analog out as the connection to the amp or receiver. Correct?

Both should work. I've successfully used the Analog Outs here with 5.1 DSD and FLAC files with the Oppo 105.

Thanks Brian!

Absolutely. That article has been a big hit.
I'm finding that many Oppo 103 and 105 owners are totally unaware that they already own a player that can handle 5.1 DSD and FLAC downloads.

And with some of the really good free downloads out there, there are plenty of opportunities to experiment at no cost in Stereo and even Multichannel! :)
For example, try:

Both will work as will S/PDIF (with certain formats).

Great article and hugely appreciated. In terms of the hard drive you can attach; is there a physical limit or could I add a larger RAID (say 6TB+) providing it connected via USB and was the correct file format?

Great article and hugely appreciated. In terms of the hard drive you can attach; is there a physical limit or could I add a larger RAID (say 6TB+) providing it connected via USB and was the correct file format.

I haven't tried a RAID drive or a 6TB Hard Drive connected to the Oppo by USB. Once I moved my music files to a NAS, I also picked up an exaSound e28 Multichannel DAC that handles the music downloads now.
I'd suggest checking with Oppo Tech Support to see if using the 103 or 105 for music files has a size limit. It may not.

Back