Should Audio Fidelity Issue Multichannel BD Audio Discs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would have to wait until Blu Ray adds a CD Stereo and SACD Stereo capability. The Blu Ray Dual Disc, perhaps?! :)
when i can see the point behind CD layer as added, albeit senseless value, why in the hell BD would be in needs to have SACD Stereo capability?
also i'm wondering, who's buying SACDs for their CD layer?

Here's the thing...

MOST (I'd dare say 99%) SACDs are NOT REALLY Hi Rez, the HF cutoff around 23 K makes it sound like a DTS CD...I'd LOVE to have a special section/thread that actually shows the freq spectrum of all these new AF releases(still , kudos to them for their initiative and brass cojones! ), and also the already released SACDs

We all know that what's up there (>30K) on SACDs is NOISE
...the ONLY Quad SACD I have that is TRULY Hi Rez is Tomita's "The Planets" rerelease from a few years ago....and it STILL had that inherent "cat running out of the room as soon as it hits play" NOISE!!!

Yes, SACD are CD compatible, but , what's the point if NOTHING is really hi rez?

I would think that if anything AF would offer their content as downloads rather than Blu-Rays.
As someone else posted, DVD-A and BD certainly offer more content possibilities which makes for great releases but greatly slows down the release process.
One the great things about AF is their release frequency.
How many SACDs compared to DVD-A\BD releases either have authoring issues or content issues?
Case in point, Sparkle In The Rain.
Right now I see the trend in content delivery splitting into 2 paths, vinyl and downloads.
I'm NOT saying that digital physical media is dead, just watching where the growth is.
And before someone yells NICHE! All of these formats are niche and hopefully sustainable niches.

Sometimes, I prefer a physical disc DVD-A/V to a CD or Download only when there are visuals included with the disc. For the past several years, I've come to appreciate having a background displayed on my tv to look at while I hear, or listen to music. I love the way "Quadrophenia", "Hand. Cannot. Erase., and others were done in this way.

Last edited:
you'd be surprised! ;)
i doubt it, Adam.
only case i can imagine, if vendor offer SACD version cheaper than CD version or only SACD version exist.
and even then he should clarify that this piece, despite additional (SA) letters, can be played as CD in ordinary CD/DVD/BD players.

Sometimes, I prefer a physical disc DVD-A/V to a CD or Download only when there are visuals included with the disc. For the past several years, I've come to appreciate having a background displayed on my tv to look at while I hear, or listen to music. I love the way "Quadrophenia", "Hand. Cannot. Erase., and others were done in this way.

Some nights I prefer a whisky, sometimes its a coke.. tonight its both :brew
CHEERS MY LOVELIES!

I don't have SACD ripping capability, I also don't have SACD or DVDA playabck in my car; on that basis I am very happy that SACDs are generally hybrid. I don't buy them for the redbook (not even for the stereo DSD either), but it appeals to me that it's there. Oh, and I used two different CD players today. (Not including the car.)

i doubt it, Adam.
only case i can imagine, if vendor offer SACD version cheaper than CD version or only SACD version exist.
and even then he should clarify that this piece, despite additional (SA) letters, can be played as CD in ordinary CD/DVD/BD players.

Trust me, I've met and chatted to so many Elton John fans over the years who bought all those EJ SACDs who never played anything off them but the CD layer..

I'm sure you can appreciate there are mega fans of artists who simply must have everything an artist ever puts out?

I've known a few of those in Elton fandom.. I'm one of 'em! :)

I don't have SACD ripping capability, I also don't have SACD or DVDA playabck in my car; on that basis I am very happy that SACDs are generally hybrid. I don't buy them for the redbook (not even for the stereo DSD either), but it appeals to me that it's there. Oh, and I used two different CD players today. (Not including the car.)

I'm playing a common or garden CD right now (y)
(mainly cos I am officially sick to death of Simple Minds as of tonight.. Tim will know what I mean!! :D )

If Universal were smart, since they now control the masters for Virgin Records' albums (from EMI), they would reissue this surround sound mix as an HFPA Blu-Ray. I would GLADLY pay at least $30 for a Blu-Ray of this title.

Same goes for "Boys & Girls".

I'd be interested in Quad or 5.1 releases of 'Back To Front' and maybe 'Himself' if they were DVD-A, Blu-ray or 5.1 FLAC downloads. Not interested in SACD - too difficult to rip to put on a music server.

I'd be interested in Quad or 5.1 releases of 'Back To Front' and maybe 'Himself' if they were DVD-A, Blu-ray or 5.1 FLAC downloads. Not interested in SACD - too difficult to rip to put on a music server.

Having finally been kind of forced into blu-ray (old Denon universal player failed, really didn't like a Cambridge Audio I picked up cheap) I'm kind of open to most formats now, but I wouldn't want to pay a premium for a file.

EDIT: This post is not to do with the debate about Audio Fidelity and BD, it was about which format Gilbert O'Sullivan could be released in as part of the natural flow of the thread it was removed from!

Last edited:
If Universal were smart, since they now control the masters for Virgin Records' albums (from EMI), they would reissue this surround sound mix as an HFPA Blu-Ray. I would GLADLY pay at least $30 for a Blu-Ray of this title.

Same goes for "Boys & Girls".

How about Frantic?

I'm completely OK with a reissue on Blu-Ray audio of "Frantic", but it's not likely to happen over reissues of albums like "Avalon" or "Boys & Girls" since those are classics with a much greater sales potential.

And BTW (to whom it may concern), why was my original post moved from an "Avalon" thread into this one when my original post had absolutely NOTHING to do with Audio Fidelity?
I don't really get that aggravated when posts are moved around and reorganized on a whim, but moving that post into this particular thread made absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Sometimes, threads and posts should be left as they areā€¦

I'm completely OK with a reissue on Blu-Ray audio of "Frantic", but it's not likely to happen over reissues of albums like "Avalon" or "Boys & Girls" since those are classics with a much greater sales potential.

And BTW (to whom it may concern), why was my original post moved from an "Avalon" thread into this one when my original post had absolutely NOTHING to do with Audio Fidelity?
I don't really get that aggravated when posts are moved around and reorganized on a whim, but moving that post into this particular thread made absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Sometimes, threads and posts should be left as they areā€¦
I don't particularly like the moving around of posts either. They do it to mine too. Someone has too much spare time on their hands.

Back