HiRez Poll Wilson, Steven - Hand. Cannot. Erase. [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Gents, do you all like how the cymbals sound? Sometimes during the louder sections they sound to me a bit muddy, creating a wall of sound in the background that annoys me a little. Is it only me and my setup? Listening on headphones now to 96/24 version

Headphones? Why on earth are you listening to this 5.1 mix on headphones? Wrong forum?

Dumb question, I'm obviously listening to the stereo version with headphones. I found the same sound with the surround mix and switched to headphones to discard anything related to my room environment (it was late as well to bug the neighbours)

Dumb question, I'm obviously listening to the stereo version with headphones. I found the same sound with the surround mix and switched to headphones to discard anything related to my room environment (it was late as well to bug the neighbours)

You could have listened to the 5.1 mix on headphones with something like Dolby Headphone that downmixes surround sources to stereo.

To answer your question I haven't found anything wrong with the cymbals but I'm only at my second -still emotional- listen.

I can't help it, but I felt and still feel kind of underwhelmed after listening to the album for the first time yesterday. It's a very similar feeling to my initial thoughts after the first listen to "The Incident" from PT back then. In both cases, production, mix and especially musicianship are all top notch, but there is still something missing.

Maybe in both cases, Wilson tried very hard to stay in the overall theme of the concept album. But to me he writes a lot better songs whenever he is not restricted by such a concept. With "The Incident" I ended up liking the tracks that where not part of the whole concept (part b or whatever it is called) a lot more than the main tracks itself. It just doesn't touch me on an emotional level, even though I'm sure SW tried really hard to achieve exactly that. And maybe that's the reason why it doesn't work for me. He tries so hard to the point, that the whole album sounds like it's top heavy. There is no real flow and it feels inconsistent and sometimes even uninspired.

This album might grow on me, but I don't even feel the urge to listen to it again right now. I'd rather listen to one of the earlier solo albums. I'm sure many will disagree, but that's how I feel about it and I can't hide the fact that I'm very disappointed. Hand. Cannot. Erase. is a good album, but not exceptionally good like many of the PT albums and his earlier solo work.

Production & Mix: 10
Music: 6-7
Overall: 8

I am honestly struggling to find anything about this that I don't like. The concept is fascinating and moving. The songwriting is powerful and emotional. The musical performances are stellar. The deluxe packaging is exquisite. The 5.1 mix is beautiful and natural.

This is a perfect release.

Roll on the gig this Thursday! :)

Been playing the DVD-A at home. I will switch to the DTS-MA in a few days to see if there are any glaring differences.
What DVD-A, did you make one for yourself? Or do you call any disc without video DVD-A?

BTW will there be a separate entry for this album in the "DTS & DD Surround Spotlight Discs" section?

I can't help it, but I felt and still feel kind of underwhelmed after listening to the album for the first time yesterday.
Yes, it is different again, so you might have to get used to it. Not all albums grab everyone at once. I think it has all the elements of a great album.
Looking forward to the gig.

I have had several end-to-end listenings at this point. I have had a difficult time putting my arms around what I think of this release...but I am converging on a few things:

1) The production and mixing work on this one is probably his best work thus-far.
2) There is a tremendous selection of widely-varied, multi-layered, beautiful musical ideas.
3) The playing is top-notch. I especially REALLY liked Adam's keyboard work on this one.

That being said:
4) I don't think that this one has musical coherence that Raven did. Forget the "literary" theme or whatever. This release is very coherent as far as the concept goes. I am talking about a musical theme - an overarching sound and feel that ties the entire album together as one piece of work. There just does not seem to be one here. That impression is reinforced by a listen through the instrumental mix. I had a difficult time putting my arms around this until I heard that mix.
5) A lot of the musical ideas - melodic, harmonic, whatever - including some of the most appealing ones, get short shrift. They last a few bars and then die - never to return. Combine these with some rather abrupt transitions and one can get a distinct feeling of discontinuity. A lot of Steven's other work has abrupt transitions - but they maintain as sense of coherence despite their abrupt nature. Sometimes, I don't see that same coherence here. Many of the transitions are both abrupt and discontinuous.

My own opinion, of course. I still give the album a solid 9/10. But I can't give it a 10.

Steven Wilson has stated that he doesn't like to make the same album twice. Of course, there will be differences from past records. Whether you like those differences are up to the listener/reviewer. I feel this is the best recording of his career and will be the first one I give a 10 score to, including the Porcupine Tree releases. :)

Steven Wilson has stated that he doesn't like to make the same album twice. Of course, there will be differences from past records. Whether you like those differences are up to the listener/reviewer. I feel this is the best recording of his career and will be the first one I give a 10 score to, including the Porcupine Tree releases. :)
Agreed - but I don't see how my particular opinion on this one implies in any way that I was looking for any kind of repeat of his other work. I was merely looking for what is clearly a concept album to have a coherent musical concept as well as a coherent thematic one. Maybe the album just needed to be longer for me ;-)

Probably shouldn't quibble, and I mean no offense or to cause an uprising, but I was kinda surprised, after all you had to say, at your 9 score. I respect your total tally.

Probably shouldn't quibble, and I mean no offense or to cause an uprising, but I was kinda surprised, after all you had to say, at your 9 score. I respect your total tally.
No man. I get it. I really like the album. There is LOTS to like about it. I just felt like I had to justify a non-10 score. I am also one of those guys who RARELY gives a standing ovation at a live performance (unless, of course, there are no seats at the venue to begin with...)

I could spend a page on all the things I like about this one. I highlighted the top 3. I will also say that the fact that the title track is spinning NOWHERE on radio in the USA is all you need to know about how screwed up the pop music industry really is. That cut is a hit - great music, great playing, FANTASTIC hook (which every pop tune needs), just over 4 minutes - so not too long...aaaaand...nothing whatsoever. Further evidence that the inmates are running the asylum.

I have the Deluxe Edition, and this release is a true work of art...visually, musically and sonically. The surround mixing seems to take a few more risks with placement and spread etc, which some may see as gimmicky at times but I love it. The whole experience is truly immersive with book and music together, and is in turn frightening, provocative, uplifting and simply beautiful.

"Routine" is my favourite track, both for content and surround mix. Those layered acoustic guitars envelop, but are not overwhelming... plus Ninet's vocals on this track in particular complement the tone beautifully. I personally enjoy that each track on the album has its own character as it contributes to the diverse success of the album as a whole, and give the music a contemporary feel that sets it apart from 'The Raven...'.

In the days since release, I've found myself both humming the tunes and wondering about the content, especially the story of Joyce Vincent. For me, that shows the musical and emotional impact after a week and a half. I know I'm going to enjoy this artistic statement for a long time in all forms (book, surround, stereo), so nothing less than a 10 for me.

Just took my first listen to this. And to quote a song that Mr. Wilson said he wants to mix into 5.1 "wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, unbelievable!" The mix certainly gets a 10 from me, the music at least an 8, but I need a few more listens....I may end up rating it higher than that. Certainly enjoyed the music on the first listen. There was a bit at the beginning that felt like a Rush/Pat Metheny Group hybrid. Some very cool stuff. Not sure I'll be listening to much else this week. That Todd Rundgren BBC recordings box set that arrived in the same Amazon package is gonna have to wait a few days while I give this repeated listens.

Incredible sound quality and mix. I like some of his previous solo work better, and don't see that changing, so I will stick with a 9. It will still get spun!

Wow.

Well, I pre-ordered the deluxe book edition from Burning Shed way back when, and it arrived a week or so ago. I didn't have time to deal with it until last week, at which time I only opened it to take the BluRay out of the book and use it to make a DVD-A for the car. Good or bad, I do most of my surround listening in the car, even though I have a full surround system at home. :mad:@:

Anyway, I listened in the car to this album at different times during this past week, and it was growing on me. I still hadn't looked at the book, and was wondering about the female vocals and harmonies on some of the songs. Many times I would start the disc over when I got in the car instead of continuing the playback from where I left off. In doing so, I started to like the title song, "Perfect Life", and "Routine" a lot, mostly because I heard those tunes more due to repeated restarts of the disc. One the whole, I thought the surround mix was great and the music very infectious. Then I opened the book and looked through it.

HOLY CRAP!! This is a masterpiece!!

The songs now make sense and the story of the album is so deep. It was like a lightbulb (sun?) coming on over my head as I read through the book, looked at the very crafty inserts and extras stuck in there between the pages. What a beautiful presentation.

It's so cliche, but this whole package is a 10. (The 10 is cliche, not the package) I have to give it a 10. Sorry. I can't help myself. It's a damn shame that this album and project will probably not get the wide spread recognition it should. I cannot understand why Steven Wilson is not recognized by the mainstream music audience. He surely deserves it.

If you don't have the book and have been listening to the bluray, check out the website http://handcannoterase.com/ It will give you a feel for the book, and the story.

Wow.

I'll hold off on rating it until a few more listens, but so far I love it! This is my first deluxe SW release, I've previously purchased the stand-alone versions. The book is amazing! It takes me back to my childhood and those endless listenings of Quadrophenia with the book spread out in front of me while I listened. Except this book is so much more. Wow!

Wow.

Well, I pre-ordered the deluxe book edition from Burning Shed way back when, and it arrived a week or so ago. I didn't have time to deal with it until last week, at which time I only opened it to take the BluRay out of the book and use it to make a DVD-A for the car. Good or bad, I do most of my surround listening in the car, even though I have a full surround system at home. :mad:@:

Anyway, I listened in the car to this album at different times during this past week, and it was growing on me. I still hadn't looked at the book, and was wondering about the female vocals and harmonies on some of the songs. Many times I would start the disc over when I got in the car instead of continuing the playback from where I left off. In doing so, I started to like the title song, "Perfect Life", and "Routine" a lot, mostly because I heard those tunes more due to repeated restarts of the disc. One the whole, I thought the surround mix was great and the music very infectious. Then I opened the book and looked through it.

HOLY CRAP!! This is a masterpiece!!

The songs now make sense and the story of the album is so deep. It was like a lightbulb (sun?) coming on over my head as I read through the book, looked at the very crafty inserts and extras stuck in there between the pages. What a beautiful presentation.

It's so cliche, but this whole package is a 10. (The 10 is cliche, not the package) I have to give it a 10. Sorry. I can't help myself. It's a damn shame that this album and project will probably not get the wide spread recognition it should. I cannot understand why Steven Wilson is not recognized by the mainstream music audience. He surely deserves it.

If you don't have the book and have been listening to the bluray, check out the website http://handcannoterase.com/ It will give you a feel for the book, and the story.

Wow.

And if you see the live show, the whole story is even more immersive, with the rear projections adding yet more substance. I hope they become available soon.

Fully agree with Jon. I managed to read yesterday the whole book plus Joyce Vincent story. Once you know the complete story everything makes sense. Routine is one of the saddest songs I know, once you comprehend what the woman is using the routine for.
There are many details in the book that appear after every reading, like the mysterious coordinates

And if you see the live show, the whole story is even more immersive, with the rear projections adding yet more substance. I hope they become available soon.

Tell us more about the live show, I think the first showing was just 2 days ago in the UK. How lucky to be you! I have to wait until May.

Back