HiRez Poll Wilson, Steven - Hand. Cannot. Erase. [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Perfect Life...

(speechless)

While hand. cannot. erase. may not have many stand-out tracks compared to other albums of his, for me it's by far his best album as a whole, ever. Maybe I'm a sucker for "concept" albums, idk.. but musically it flows so well, and the heartbreaking story behind it all..

"My" tracks?

Perfect Life

Happy Returns

Where is the emoticon for "leaving me in a mess" ? :worthy

I promised myself I wouldn't hand out 10s like chiclets... but what else can I do here!? :D

:51banana:

Keep 'em coming, Steven!

I was recently lucky enough to pick up the deluxe version of the album. The blu-Ray includes a number of alternative tracks that are, in my opinion, often better than the originals. Unfortunately these same songs are not on the included CDs. Some different versions are on one of the cds, which is good, but not my favorites ahhhhh too bad would love to get them on cd and ipod. They should have been included on a CD. Still a great package.

Also is anyone aware of a live concert video of Hand Cannot Erase being worked on for release?

Steven confirmed that no shows on the "Hand Cannot Erase" tour were filmed for future release.
That's really unfortunate. Now I hate myself even more for not going when I had the chance.

I absolute HATE the artwork. Hideous and unnatractive. I bury all Steven Wilson discs in the middle stack of my collection. Pink Floyd did the "dark & tragic" thing but retained a sense of art & style. Steven 's art mostly is just dark & hideous and not something I want to see at all. Just my $.02. But I can't subtract points for that. Its difficult to pay for something that is such a turn off.
Wow... I could not disagree more. I really appreciate the work of the visual artists Steven works with—photographer/videographer Lasse Hoile, illustrator Hajo Müller, designer Carl Glover, animator Jess Cope, and director Youssef Nassar—and generally find it to be a perfect fit and an inseparable companion to the music. Furthermore, I love Wilson's deluxe editions, and this last one for Hand. Cannot. Erase. was an absolute showstopper. Hats off to Carl Glover.

That's really unfortunate. Now I hate myself even more for not going when I had the chance.

Wow... I could not disagree more. I really appreciate the work of the visual artists Steven works with—photographer/videographer Lasse Hoile, illustrator Hajo Müller, designer Carl Glover, animator Jess Cope, and director Youssef Nassar—and generally find it to be a perfect fit and an inseparable companion to the music. Furthermore, I love Wilson's deluxe editions, and this last one for Hand. Cannot. Erase. was an absolute showstopper. Hats off to Carl Glover.

Well, I agree with Dennis.. the artwork is just really dark and unimaginative...maybe some layouts are interesting, or the way he "hides" the lyrics (one BIG exception for the models, who are yummy, at least!)---but it's way too "creepy" for me....and as for "famous" names; the Lasse guy has done some cool stuff for other people...

I'm with you JediJoker. I found the whole package to be extremely well done, and a perfect companion. The music is dark and the artwork reflects that, and the subject matter isn't exactly uplifting but that's okay. "Routine" in particular is sad and incredibly beautiful at the same time to me. I guess I can reconcile the beauty in these moments, where others might just think of as depressing. Anyway, viva la difference!! :)

I finally got the opportunity to listen to this. It is excellent. The mix is ear candy and the playing is top notch. The singing has a certain "softness" (for lack of a better term) that I usually associate with Contemporary Christian music. I gave it an 8. I can honestly say I would have never sought this out if it weren't for this forum. Now to go find some Porcupine Tree.

Last edited:
The first few listens were pretty perfunctory, on my part, as I wasn't really using my usual "intense" listening.
Once I discovered the premise of the album, I started listening keenly, and as I watched the graphics displayed...and I guess, sort of wrote my own story.
While the premise is tragic, the music is just great. If I've had a few George Dickel and Cokes, I almost get a little weepy with emotion as the story and music pull me back and forth.
Just a stellar work, IMO. Seldom do I get the emotional feedback these days like I do on Steven Wilson's works. I give it a solid 10.

I just picked up a standalone BD-A copy for under $20. First SW solo work I've heard (though I have PT's In Absentia on DVD-A and I love it). I found it amusing reading a critic's description of this album as "The Wall for the Facebook generation". Who would've thought we'd see a concept album of this caliber released in 2015? The work SW put into writing, producing, and composing this is just astounding. When the album concludes, I really feel like I've been on a journey.

The mix is a bit more tame than some of my favorite SW surrounds (Black Sea, Oranges & Lemons, Songs From The Wood), but it fits the material very nicely with some cool harmonies, synth, and percussion in the rears. My favorite tracks so far are "3 Years Older", "Hand Cannot Erase", and of course "Routine".

My only complaint is that it's a little too dynamic - I find myself constantly messing with the volume levels during the loud parts of "3 Years Older" ("The world will slip away...FROM YOU") or at the end of "Routine".

A 9 from me.

Last edited:
My copy is still sealed, bought less than 2 weeks ago.
Normally I’d just return it but this was bought in Seattle, over 2 hours away. By the time I’m down there again the return window will be long closed.
Oh well, no big deal

When I was in my late 40s I listened to this album for 6 weeks
It arrived one sunny morning packed in a box from Burning Shed
From past experience I trod cautiously but in no time it became a favourite
I'd listen to his old albums; Light Bulb Sun, Signify, Up The Downstair
He'd already remixed some of my favourite albums, and my first XTC Album
Sometimes I would think about the Tannhauser Gate and watch the C Beams glitter in the darkness
He'd recorded, "Oceans have no Memory"
For a few weeks everything about this album was perfect
I played it a lot. We were inseparable
But, one day by accident, I heard "Finisterre" by Saint Etienne
It was like their song, their lyrics, her voice, even their tune
I have heard
I have heard the "inspiration" for "Perfect Life".

But, one day by accident, I heard "Finisterre" by Saint Etienne
It was like their song, their lyrics, her voice, even their tune
I have heard
I have heard the "inspiration" for "Perfect Life".
Possibly? The narration is quite similar, but the music is nothing alike.

Nevertheless, I was thoroughly amused by your post.

Listening to this one (again) after a long hiatus - and, yeah, it's superb. Everything you could wish for from a surround mix. Dynamic, discrete, great music and production and a mix that works the songs. Maybe the base song writing isn't as consistent as some of his other material, and (arguably) doesn't have the same "sonic" impact as "The Raven", but when it shines it really, really shines. "Perfect Life" is, for me, the high spot of the album. Shades of Porcupine Tree on "Ancestral" too.

Back