HiRez Poll Wilson, Steven - Hand. Cannot. Erase. [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I had my first full listen last night. I'm glad to have new music from Steven and the band, and it surely is a good listen. The problem lies that "The Raven" was such a powerful album from beginning to end that this new album will have to grow on me.

I applaud Steven Wilson's creativity and musical prowess which keeps me wanting more....

Tell us more about the live show, I think the first showing was just 2 days ago in the UK. How lucky to be you! I have to wait until May.

Well, I'm conscious that a number of people will be going and I don't really want to spoil it for them. That said, there are no real big surprises or things to spoil. I posted a set list over in the gigs thread and suffice to say, all but one of the HCE tracks are performed, and performed amazingly well. Most of the tracks feature new rear projection films, and the whole show starts with a 10 minute long film before the band come on and start. All of these films form part of the overall concept of the album, with the same female character throughout, and all shot in Poland.

Lighting is fairly minimal, but what is there is used to great effect. And the audio is fantastic, featuring surround elements throughout. The Watchmaker makes incredible use of this, as do the ambient sounds from HCE, such as the kids playing in the street.

It's Steven Wilson, so it is always mostly about five supremely gifted musicians performing impeccably, all to a visual backdrop of superb still and moving images. The stop motion video for Routine is as captivating and equally tragic as Drive Home. Incredibly powerful stuff.

The more I was immersed in the show, and after repeated listens to the album, I'm really glad that he didn't make it to be based on the life of Joyce Carol Vincent. Her story is utterly tragic but Steven has been inspired by it and the tale he tells is not about her but of loss and loneliness and from the female perspective, which is an incredible thing for him to take on.

And the show also features some superb back catalogue songs, each with their own set of visuals. Tracks like Index, Lazarus and Harmony Korine are powerful and mesmerising.

I hope that gives you a flavour of what to expect :)

UPDATE: Steven has posted some photos from the Manchester gig, taken by Lasse...

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/steven-wilson-and-band-live-in-manchester-uk-march-2015/

Last edited:
Perfect Life is my go to track. I can't fault the fidelity, surround or content so it's a 10 from me.

My wife and I are going to the Wolverhampton concert on Wednesday (like we did last year!) and I was interested in the set list. It can be found here. What a great site.

Perfect Life is my go to track. I can't fault the fidelity, surround or content so it's a 10 from me.

My wife and I are going to the Wolverhampton concert on Wednesday (like we did last year!) and I was interested in the set list. It can be found here. What a great site.

Looks like the set is pretty static so far. No complaints at all though :)

I listened to the 5.1 part of this disc again, I think, for the umpteenth time. In my mind, I'm not sure how Steven is going to top this release. It's so good! I love every single track on here but my (most played) favorite standout tracks are:

3 Years Older
Hand Cannot Erase
Perfect Life
Routine
Ancestral
Happy Returns
Ascendant Here On...

Like many of his solo and Porcupine Tree songs, this disc brings tears to my eyes due to the emotion that is captured throughout. :)

I have not yet voted on this album, I want to give it a fair crack. Having listened a few times now I think I am starting to get the album. Its the first Steven Wilson album I have struggeled with. The mix is supurb though and the recording dynamic. Listening now will carry on

I seriously need to buy this.....hadn't heard any of it until my son brought home a MP3 version...yes MP3. Even IT sounded amazing. Geez....

I seriously need to buy this.....hadn't heard any of it until my son brought home a MP3 version...yes MP3. Even IT sounded amazing. Geez....

It's a truly astonishing album. Like all great records it takes quite a few listens for it to gel (six or so in my case) but I cannot stop playing it. A later day classic imho.

Wow, took a long time to get around to listening to finally getting this as I'm not all that big on the prog sound and had no idea this album was closer to PT than some of the other solo stuff. First time through Perfect Life during the last 2 minutes tears were just streaming down my face, stunning surround mix, beautiful dynamics and production, probably just from that track alone I'd give it a 10 even if the rest wasn't great.

I absolutely love the title track too, looking forward to getting to know this one more in the coming week-ends. 10/10

I also think that this one of the best albums SW made for us.
My highlights are "Home Invasion" and "Regret #9" such a fantastic keyboard and guitar solo....perfect!

But in the end I have to say I really love all songs because it is such a pleasure to hear it as one big piece!

Thanks Mr. Wilson...you got me! :)

Another great album from Steven with great fidelity and as good of a surround mix as they get. He had set the bar high with Raven and didn't disappoint with this one. I'm really looking forward to seeing this performed live this summer.

K

I also think that this one of the best albums SW made for us.
My highlights are "Home Invasion" and "Regret #9" such a fantastic keyboard and guitar solo....perfect!

Agreed. Have you watched the accompanying documentary yet? These solos are on there, and its stunning!

Having listened to this a few times its a 10 for the music, 10 for the sound quality, and a 10 for the 5.1 mix, so a full 10, and I'm limiting my 10's! :cool:

I also spoke to my brother and he only has the CD - which he can't stop playing either.:music

I love it! This is more to my taste overall. Less classic prog noodling - more neo-prog.
To me it sounds like a lost Porcupine Tree album, that falls in between the Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun period and the In Absentia/Deadwing area.

Very pleased!

Having listened to this a few times its a 10 for the music, 10 for the sound quality, and a 10 for the 5.1 mix, so a full 10, and I'm limiting my 10's!

And a 10 for the extras on the blu-ray; the studio documentary footage is killer... especially watching the guitar player do the solo for Regret #9; I was clapping and cheering alone in my living room!

Back