HiRez Poll Wilson, Steven - Hand. Cannot. Erase. [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
And a 10 for the extras on the blu-ray; the studio documentary footage is killer... especially watching the guitar player do the solo for Regret #9; I was clapping and cheering alone in my living room!

Saw them this week in D.C. Was disappointed at first when I saw it was not Marco and Guthrie on drums and Guitar. No worries, the "replacements" Dave Kilminster and Craig Blundell more than held their own and Home invasion followed by Regret #9 were simply incredible live.

Saw them this week in D.C. Was disappointed at first when I saw it was not Marco and Guthrie on drums and Guitar. No worries, the "replacements" more than held their own and Home invasion followed by Regret #9 were simply incredible live.

Can't wait; seeing them next month in Los Angeles!

Got my disc today and listening now.....

Wow, just wow! I cannot even believe how very cool the music is on this. I hear so many influences here. Most predominantly listed below...

1. Porcupine Tree
2. Steven Wilson
3. Rush
4. No Sound
5. Dream Theatre

What else? I absolutely LOVE the way this sounds.

Wow, just wow! I cannot even believe how very cool the music is on this. I hear so many influences here. Most predominantly listed below...

1. Porcupine Tree
2. Steven Wilson
3. Rush
4. No Sound
5. Dream Theatre

6. Yes
7. Anathema
8. Storm Corrosion

2. Steven Wilson

Steven Wilson influenced by Steven Wilson - really?!

The title track - Manic Street Preachers.

Easy 10 for me, though I prefer Raven. Raven is more storybook and HCE is more newspaper.
I also prefer the 70s vibe, though only slightly and I like how SW is willing to change it up, like many great bands.
This is much more successful than many directional changes. I'm thinking if Signals, by Rush, after Moving Pictures. Yeesh.
The show was grrrr-eat. Yes, the video for Routine was over-the-top, crazy sad. SW made an interesting observation before launching in to it: sad music can be uplifting, because it lets a lonely, hurting or struggling person know that others feel the same. That they're not alone.

On my system, with all 5 speakers on my Oppo 105 set to full, the LFE channel sounds fantastic. I'm hearing great low end that compliments the rest of the sound field in a natural way; yielding a beautiful full-range sound. The LFE channel isn't loud - I have to set the sub volume fairly high - which is in keeping with the audio in general as I have to set the Oppo analog volume fairly high as well.

Maybe I need to pay more attention to the LFE on my other discs but something just struck me about this one and what a great job my sub does.

It doesn't get any better than this, unless you expect the artist to jump out of the disk and give you free guitar lessons..

I hate to do it, but I must give this another big fat iMachine styled German TEN.

More great hooks and a fine mixing of styles. But...

I absolute HATE the artwork. Hideous and unnatractive. I bury all Steven Wilson discs in the middle stack of my collection. Pink Floyd did the "dark & tragic" thing but retained a sense of art & style. Steven 's art mostly is just dark & hideous and not something I want to see at all. Just my $.02. But I can't subtract points for that. Its difficult to pay for something that is such a turn off.

However, musically... Steven Wilson is on quite a roll.:music

It doesn't get any better than this, unless you expect the artist to jump out of the disk and give you free guitar lessons..

I hate to do it, but I must give this another big fat iMachine styled German TEN.

More great hooks and a fine mixing of styles.

Quite right too Mr M, a definite 10. This is one album that I can listen to every day of the week and still not get remotely bored. If you ever get a chance, go to see him play it live, if you haven't already. Its a spectacular show, quite possibly the best I've ever seen.

Saw both shows at the Royal Albert Hall London and they were stunning . Both guitarists Guthrie Govan and Dave Kilminster were incredible and Ninet Tayeb's vocal performance on ' Routine' was brilliant . Like 'The Dark Side and The White Album I could listen to this every day . Its been a large part of my commute and home (5.1) listening for months and showing no sign of getting bored with it . Preferred to 'The Raven ' and the stylistically flawed ' Grace for Drowning ' , a genuinely brilliant work of art executed perfectly .

11/10

~M~

For anyone who wasn't lucky enough to see Steven Wilson on his last tour, and to see the excellent video for Routine that accompanied that song live, the video is now available to watch:

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2015-10-29/steven-wilson-s-routine-video-is-not-routine

Warning - its in the usual cheery Steven Wilson vein, so prepare for the lump in the throat or a tear in the eye!

Hopefully this video will be on his upcoming January EP in full 5.1 :).

For anyone who wasn't lucky enough to see Steven Wilson on his last tour, and to see the excellent video for Routine that accompanied that song live, the video is now available to watch:

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2015-10-29/steven-wilson-s-routine-video-is-not-routine

Warning - its in the usual cheery Steven Wilson vein, so prepare for the lump in the throat or a tear in the eye!

Hopefully this video will be on his upcoming January EP in full 5.1 :).

Most excellent video, thank you for sharing :)

Another play tonight and finally time for a vote - it's a very solid 9 for me. Unlike the last couple albums I like the vast majority of the music - it's more "Steven" and less 70's retro stuff...the 5.1 is a no brainer - even when I'm not so fond of the music his mixes are simply the best...so much on this one I adore...Perfect Life when the backing vocals come into the rears is perfect.

More great hooks and a fine mixing of styles. But...

I absolute HATE the artwork. Hideous and unnatractive. I bury all Steven Wilson discs in the middle stack of my collection. Pink Floyd did the "dark & tragic" thing but retained a sense of art & style. Steven 's art mostly is just dark & hideous and not something I want to see at all. Just my $.02. But I can't subtract points for that. Its difficult to pay for something that is such a turn off.

However, musically... Steven Wilson is on quite a roll.:music
Totally agree with you there- CAN'T STAND THE "ARTWORK"...
The photos are not bad (and the model is yummy!), but the "artwork"...ugh!!!
That's why I didn't get the Raven box...(although I should've got it)..
as for the music...it's very good, but by now, Steven's style is quite predictable...(well, I guess that's "why it's called having a STYLE")
..Now...the mixes...yeah , baby!!!

I have listened to the album a few times earlier, and like it a lot, great songs, dynamics and surround mix. But along with todays listen, I read the online diary (thanks for the link JonUrban) and the story of Joyce Vincent.

Wow, it brings another dimension to the music, very powerful stuff. I am very impressed by this concept album, I love it - and give it a solid 10!

Back